Mobil 1 0W-20 at Pep Boys observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came from my local Pep Boys and I notice the Mobil 1 OW-20 in the aisle. My point is, I guess I never really notice it much but they were selling a quart for a little over 7 dollars and some change. The last time I was there I was looking for Penzzoil Platinum Ultra which they still don't sell or I don't think they will ever because I guess it not selling well there I presume. Last point is, if OW-20 or OW-30 motor oils were more prevalent in store aisles I would probably buy it. Come to think of it I believed I was looking at Mobil 1 extended 0W-20 & OW-30 jugs and I was contemplating if I should use that instead of the 5W-30 for the better fuel efficiency. This was when I was preparing for my conversion to full synthetic on my engine while breaking my year old vehicle. In the end, I chose 5W-30 Penzzoil Platinum Ultra & Amsoil for my present and future extended OCI routines. People say the 0W-XX oils were mainly used for start-up in cold weather under 0 degrees fahrenheit but I was mainly interested in the fuel efficiency. Supposedly it also has good wear protection but it seems so watery to me, on top of it being a slippery synthetic and flowing more easily as it is, I get paranoid that its not protecting as good as a thicker oil. Yah, I'm ignorant on that part or let's say lacking knowledge. More slippery, less wear but watery feel just don't seem tough in my mind. Or maybe the differences are miniscule. Any thoughts with the oil aficionados out there? :)

Rest assured a 0w oil will protect im here to tell ya,i use it in summer temps towing hauling ton sized loads.

i use AFE year around!

I agree, if 0w-20 Pennzoil synthetics were available at the low-price chain W-M in 5-quart jugs, I would definitely purchase it without second thought. There's no value in quart-only purchases at those prices if you need 5 quarts for both your vehicles when you can get 5w-20 in the jugs for ~$20/$21 for Penn and ~$23/$24 for M1.

There is no way, at room temp, that you could tell the difference between 0w-x and 5w-x, or between a conventional and synthetic. The differences are blown way out of proportion. As a wild generalization, most engines can't tell the difference either.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
There is no way, at room temp, that you could tell the difference between 0w-x and 5w-x, or between a conventional and synthetic. The differences are blown way out of proportion. As a wild generalization, most engines can't tell the difference either.

Last winter, the difference going from Delvac 1 5w40 (admittedly a heavier 40-weight) to Mobil 1 0w40 (admittedly a lighter 40-weight) was VERY pronounced. Both synthetics. When it gets REALLY cold... there is a difference. Though I imagine with something like 5w20 and 0w20, that difference is far less dramatic than with a 0w40 and a 5w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back