2009 VW City Jetta - What OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. First post, but I've been lurking around for a while now. So, I have 2009 VW City Jetta with the 2.0L 4cyl engine. Manual says that I should change my oil every 15,000km or every year. The one year mark came up and I changed the oil at around 11,000km (GC 0w30). The car never sees the highway (500km a year at the very most) and all my driving is city driving with lots of idling and my trips are very short. Since I do so much city driving, should I shorten my OCI, or should I just continue my yearly oil change?

I would agree a 5k OCI would be okay. If it were my car - I would change it twice a year. Once before the winter and once before the summer.

Originally Posted By: VolkswagenFox21
(500km a year at the very most)

Is that a mistake? 500 km a year, yet last year you did 11,000 km?

Regardless, I agree with others, you're probably better off changing it more frequently to get all that fuel and moisture out since it won't burn off on its own if all you do is short trips. How short?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Do your yearly change with GC. GC is a stout oil that can easily do 1 year/6-7k miles.

I would agree.

I also have an '09 VW with the 2.0T. I am driving about 15k miles a year and I am doing 5k OCI's and she is getting a steady diet of GC (when I change it) and Syntec 5w40 (when the dealer does it). (Free oil changes at 10k, 20k and 30k.)

The timing is just about right for another dose of GC to go in, with winter coming on. I like GC for my winter oil.

Once I finish with the dealer, free changes.....I will move to 6 mon OCI's that will be about 7-8k miles. I am going to stick with GC year around.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: VolkswagenFox21
(500km a year at the very most)

Is that a mistake? 500 km a year, yet last year you did 11,000 km?

I meant 500km out 11,000km is highway driving, the rest is city driving.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll just change it every 8000km just to get all the fuel out.

Oh and BigJohn, I don't have a 2.0T, just the regular non-turbo 2.0. Still fun though!

Fox21 -
One thing that kills oil and engines is short runs that don't get up to temperature long enough.
This is the worst severe service, and even OLMs can recommend VERY short OCIs in horrible conditions.

So our best guess is to shorten your OCIs a bit, like you seem to have already settled on. Maybe even shorter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back