Texas guys - where you at? Garrage day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willis, TX here. We are about 30 miles north of Houston, and 15 miles north of the Woodlands on I-45. I've noticed a few other Texans here on BITOG, and was thinking it could be fun to have a little meet and greet. Some of the best friends I have were met on the vwvortex or other car enthusiast forums. We could meet somewhere central for everyone and grab some food/beers - or meet somewhere to do oil changes and talk shop.

I will even volunteer my garage!

Ben

West Houston reporting in! You must have caught my comment about frames rusting in the greater Willis area.
lol.gif

I'm game. I've even been known to patronize your local dirt track, so I know you're just an hour away.

Nice! I grew up in NW Houston (Copperfield area).

I've always wanted to check out that dirt track. I used to bomb around TWS in College Station when I was in aggieland.

I'll volunteer my place for a get together - I'm close to Lake Conroe, have a grill and a 2 car garage with tools.

Are you diggin this weather like I am? I woke up yesterday for work and was a little excited at the temperature. I even wore long sleeves today! Might have been a mistake come this afternoon - but this morning it was a nice windows down drive to Huntsville.

I'm in College Station, and coincidentally, I am also a VW guy. Although the Jetta is dead and will be replaced by a Miata, I still have the Rabbit and the '66 Bug.

What do you drive?

robert

Robert, was it a White MKIII Jetta?

I have a 2009 JSW and a 2007 Audi A4 currently.

when I lived in aggieland I had:

This car:

P2230048.jpg

and this car:

IMG_6524Medium.jpg

DSC00240.jpg

Last edited:
This weather is definitely great, wish we could count on it being around for a while. The short duration makes you want to rearrange your life just so you can enjoy it more!

BTW, I crammed four of the best years of my life into five at A&M, '73-78. Lived at 208 Poplar behind the Hi-Lo (O'Reilly's) with a couple of other members of the A&M Sports Car Club. Did a large portion of the planning and management of the first AggieCross at TWS. Went back there last fall for the Corinthian Village vintage car meet.

Nice Corrado!

I have a Tornado Red 2003 Jetta GLI. It's got a thrown rod. If you're looking for a nice track-prepped Jetta to drop a new motor into, let me know... :)

I also have a '66 Bug, but it is in pieces at the moment. It's got a pretty nice 2110cc motor in it, when it is together. I am going to try and put it back together as a track car, I think.

And my wife drives a 2008 Rabbit.

robert

I used to be blocks from TooManyWheels, moved to a much safer neighborhood near Bellaire/Meyerland.

Now that the weather is nice, BBQ time?

Originally Posted By: cryption

Are you diggin this weather like I am? I woke up yesterday for work and was a little excited at the temperature. I even wore long sleeves today!

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

We don't start wearing long sleeves until the temp reaches a steady 25F all day. I grew up in the DFW area and lived there for 40-years and I can say one thing for certain, Texans are weather sissies.

I spent many a weekend as a corner worker at TWS.

Nice WRX!

I'm down for a BBQ. I'll bring some fajitas....

@Johnny: Make a road trip and enjoy our weather. I'll change your oil! :)

I want an aircooler, any aircooler. We camp Texas VW classic every year out in Fredricksburg. Have you been out that way? It's in April so the weather is nice.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Nice Corrado!

I have a Tornado Red 2003 Jetta GLI. It's got a thrown rod. If you're looking for a nice track-prepped Jetta to drop a new motor into, let me know... :)

I also have a '66 Bug, but it is in pieces at the moment. It's got a pretty nice 2110cc motor in it, when it is together. I am going to try and put it back together as a track car, I think.

And my wife drives a 2008 Rabbit.

robert

Originally Posted By: Johnny
cryption said:
We don't start wearing long sleeves until the temp reaches a steady 25F all day. I grew up in the DFW area and lived there for 40-years and I can say one thing for certain, Texans are weather sissies.

I'll be out at TWS this weekend, picking up a new track car. I'll get to drive it out there the 17th, 18th, and 19th!!! Three days of driving, if I can handle it... what a way to bring on the fall!

I wear shorts until it is snowing, sometimes if it is! Maybe I'm the one non-weather-sissy Texan?

robert

I want an aircooler, any aircooler. We camp Texas VW classic every year out in Fredricksburg. Have you been out that way? It's in April so the weather is nice.

Yeah, that's a fun show. Haven't been in a few years, though. I guess I should put that on the radar for next year.

robert

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Are you diggin this weather like I am? I woke up yesterday for work and was a little excited at the temperature. I even wore long sleeves today!

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Typical winter weather (70 and below) attire here constitutes:

T-shirt (Optional)
Sweater (or sweatshirt)
Shorts, preferably cargo
Flip flops
When really cold, socks

Below 45, well all bets are off. People run around in the street and claim the apocalypse is here.

San Antonio here. Lived in Texas all my life except the year I spent at WyoTech in '92.

I'll take Texas weather anyday. I much rather have it hot than cold. Can't BBQ and go tubing when it's cold. I like being able to wear shorts and a t shirt on most Christmas days, lol.

So you guys want to get some nature of GTG? We could do a central state thing - camping? We could hit the the Renaissance festival in Plantersville?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back