Gun training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting for my registration to go through before I buy my first handgun. I've fired guns before (my Dad's, or through Boy Scouts) but I would like some real formal training. Obviously on how to operate, be safe, clean, maintain, etc.

I am also interested in classes to improve my shooting and possibly even self-defense scenarios.

How should I go about finding a reputable course and/or teacher?

Chicago might be a little tough as it's not exactly a gun friendly area. I would check with any of the few dealers in the area or surrounding areas to see if they can recommend someone.

People ask me that all the time because I retired from the Dallas Police with 32 years service. I don't know what to tell them either. I used to know a couple of off-duty officers that taught the Concealed Handgun Course that people take in Texas. I no longer have those contacts.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Chicago might be a little tough as it's not exactly a gun friendly area. I would check with any of the few dealers in the area or surrounding areas to see if they can recommend someone.

Going to be doing all my shooting and such in the suburbs.

Try giving the National Rifle Association a call. They should be able to put you in touch with somebody in your state that offers firearms training.

If you want actual weapons training you need to join the military. They will drill you sooo much on range safety and maintaining that weapon that it will be second nature to you. If more people who owned firearms actually knew what they were doing we wouldnt have sooo many accidental shootings and junk used guns on the market. And you will obviously receive training on how to use it in a real situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back