Anyone have experience with....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We sent our ZF 4wg-200 trans in to get rebuilt with a trans shop we've used in the past but the trans was in pretty rough shape and they want about $30,000 to rebuild it. I called this place in Illinois, Schaefer Enterprises and a place in Indiana, Component Service Inc. They are both salvage yards and they can both get us a rebuilt used trans with a 6 month warranty for $13,000 and the condition of the core does not matter so long as its all there. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with these places. Both these places are within driving distance for us so we wouldn't have to pay extra freight either.

How much is a new transmission? What vehicle does it go to? If it's for your F-250 maybe it's time to retire it. Even $13,000 can get you a newer truck.

Based on the prices alone it doesn't seem worth it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Must be a big tractor trannie?

They are popular in large Case loaders.

Have you thought about calling ZF direct and inquiring about a reman?

Sorry I didn't specify better. Its a powershift for a Case 821 front end loader. Case wants about 19,000 for a reman with a good core. Our core is not great because some of the hard parts are damaged and even the torque converter cannot be repaired. The loader is probably not even worth 30,000. We're thinking 13,000 is a good price because we would not be able to descent used loader that size for that little.

I still think it is worth the time to call ZF direct. They were great when I talked to them, and they had good prices on parts & filters compared to the Case dealer.

I am always suspicious of "rebuilt" components from salvage yards, it seems like a lot of parts are tested for basic function, painted, and sent out the door. $13k is a good price as long as the trans is actually rebuilt and not just "cleaned up".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back