2011 Subaru STi - need oil filter suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a new 2011 Subaru STi, and I've read the new OEM filters (blue) are not that great, and I'm about to do an oil change. Any suggestions on what filter to go with? I want to make sure I pick something that will be good for the car, it's my first turbocharged vehicle and I don't know much about filters.

I'm going with Redline 5W40 oil, if that makes any difference. I very much appreciate any input, I'd like to make sure I don't destroy my vehicle through ignorance. :)

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OT:You are aware RL is not API approved?

Yeah, neither is Motul. From what I've read, Shell Rotella T6 is the best API-approved oil available. I've been debating going that route, but it sounds like RL/Motul are better oils. I suppose I can go with T6, but I'm just not sure what I'll lose out going that route. I'm open to input, as always.

Last edited:
Subie Blue is what you want. I just used up my last black Tokyo Roki (old OEM filter,) and will be using the blue can from now on.

If not that, the Pure 1 would be my second choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Subi Blue is what you want. I just used up my last black Tokyo Roki (old OEM filter,) and will be using the blue can from now in.

Sounds good. Other than the dealership, any suggestions where to pick up the Subaru blues?

I wanted to build a good relationship with my service department (in case of warranty issues down the road,) so I take every chance I get to go in and talk with them and the parts guy. I buy small replacement fittings, bolts, bulbs, filters, and have them do all of my alignments and balancing of tires. I also like to shoot the poo about various issues I've read about on the forums, and what they've seen. It may cost a little more, but they know me by name, and I feel I've been well taken care of every time I've had a warranty issue. The parts guy will take things out for me to compare and usually doesn't charge me if all I have is CC while there inquiring about a nut or bolt. Maybe I just got lucky with a great service center (Secor Subaru btw,) but I feel getting some face time never hurts.

Anyway, you can find filters on subarugenuineparts.com (I think they changed the name, but you'll automatically be redirected,) but I can't recall for how much.

If you'll be sticking with the subaru-recommended 3750 OCI, I'd suggest you think about possibly using something cheaper - Redline is kind of overkill. FWIW, I won't use that expensive of oil unless it'll allow me to extend out to 10kmi+ - I drive a good amount of highway. Right now, I use Rotella T6 5W-40 at around 7kmi OCI's. I back this up with analysis.

OT: did you end up with the sedan or hatch? I haven't seen the sedan in person yet, but I'd still choose the hatch based on first impressions and personal bias ('08 GR owner)

I've used Purolator PureOne's in my Subaru with no issues. I really like the PureOnes and every tear down I've seen of them they've seemed like quality filters. I usually buy a few at a time when they're on sale and there's a rebate going on. However, that hasn't happened in a while so I'm down to my last couple now.

Anyways, good filters. So are Wix, or NAPA Gold filters (which are made by Wix).

Another tip, after parking, let the car idle for 20-30 seconds before turning it off. The oil flowing will help to cool down the turbo and help extend its life

Look in the owners manual for the oil recommendations and go by those. There is no need to make a project of getting oil for your engine and trans etc.

OT: did you end up with the sedan or hatch? I haven't seen the sedan in person yet, but I'd still choose the hatch based on first impressions and personal bias ('08 GR owner)

Hatch. I have a dog, and she fits perfectly back there. It's also handy on days like today, when I picked up a 300lb box containing jacks/jackstands/etc from Sears. Would have been impossible to deal with in a traditional trunk. With the hatch, you barely have to lift it to get it onto a dolly.

Here's some pictures pre-tint, I'm now at 25% (TX legal): http://ormandj.corenode.com/images/sti/

Sounds like Rotella T6 may be the way to go, since I can get it locally. I'll go ahead and hit the dealership, as well, to pick up some blue filters. I appreciate all of the input!

If you aren't a Wally hater, I think they had T6 for like $19.50/gallon last time I checked. Dunno what thedealerahip charges, but jst thought I'd share.

Nice ride!!

Originally Posted By: sicko

Another tip, after parking, let the car idle for 20-30 seconds before turning it off. The oil flowing will help to cool down the turbo and help extend its life

Good advice, but the C/D depends on how you end your trip. To work and back home I have a 1/4 mile stretch of coasting before pulling into the respective parking lots. I shut the car off immediately. The only time I allow for a C/D is if I've been getting on it through some back roads and see some where I want to stop for what ever reason. In that case, 30 seconds is about right. The turbo is water cooled and will naturally circ coolant, and no C/D is explicitly necessary, but I don't really trust that that's the best thing to do. I'v heard some guys on the forums talk about hearing the coolant bubbling through the system. :/

To the OP, good choice! You really can't beat the hatch for it's versatility and low-key looks. Well, kind of low-key, anyway. GL and enjoy your new car!

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
If you aren't a Wally hater, I think they had T6 for like $19.50/gallon last time I checked. Dunno what thedealerahip charges, but jst thought I'd share.

Nice ride!!

That's what I picked up (T6). Just waiting for Monday, since the dealerships don't open on Sundays, to buy the OEM filters. I'll pick up a half dozen so I don't have to worry about it for a while. Thank you, everyone.

Subie Blue is what you want. I just used up my last black Tokyo Roki (old OEM filter,) and will be using the blue can from now on.

stay away from the blue filters!!! they are frams disguised in blue

Originally Posted By: trabuccomlfrd

stay away from the blue filters!!! they are frams disguised in blue

Oh the horror.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Soobs
The Subaru of America OEM (Honeywell) oil filters are fine. I've been running them for 68,000 miles now. No issues at all with the filters or car.

Some pictures I posted a while back...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1843143&page=1

+1. Nothing wrong with the OEM filter. Well made, strong construction and has the right bypass spec.

My next choice would be a Purolator classic or P1, 14612. Well made little filter.

I have 2 black tokyo roki's left, and about 4 Purolators. I used an OEM for an OCI and cut it open, and was satisfied with the construction.

I'll use up what I have and switch to the Subaru OEM. Easy to get and backed by Subaru.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the OEM filter. For a turbo application it is probably the best choice. Also stick with the Denso factory air filter too. It is very well made.

Originally Posted By: WagonBoss
There is nothing inherently wrong with the OEM filter. For a turbo application it is probably the best choice.

Why would the OEM filter be best for the turbo application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back