Canadian Tire Gas No Ethanol in Premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for gas without Ethanol, and call CT HO was told by contact that thier premuim gas contains no ethanol. I assume this is similiar to other brands...

I was in London and Toronto a few weeks ago, and the same was true of the Shell stations I visited.

Odd as it may sound, this is another reason I'm considering moving back to Toronto. I'm sure it won't play into the final decision (whenever that happens), but it sure is tempting...

I was under the impression that Shell was the only place to get non-ethanol gas. I switched to Shell for that reason as I need 91 in my car anyway. Have since switched to PC for convenience and not really noticed any affect on my mileage.

Ultramar here has no ethanol in 91 octane gas either. And on Thursdays its 3 cents off. Only my motorized toys get 91 so its easy to fill a 20L jug then.

Can someone enlighten me what the issue even is with ethanol?

I use pretty much whatever gas is convenient for the MOST part, (I live close to a Shell so that is most frequent) but I use Pioneer, Sunoco, Petro, Esso, Shell, Ultramar, Canadian Tire, or even Loblaws whenever not close to my home Shell station.

Ethanol doesn't have as much energy as gasoline so you get worse fuel mileage. I have also read that it may not be as clean as first thought and that the higher demand for corn is causing economical issues as well.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Can someone enlighten me what the issue even is with ethanol?

Lower gas mileage, mainly. Some cars also don't run quite as well with it and occasionally have starting problems.

I am strangly interested in the reason some motorists put drygas in with their e10. I would assume you dont need drygas in the dead of winter when the fuel has 10% ethanol already. I think the last time I had a fuelline frezze was 1978 when i was "borrowing" my fathers' Buick Electra 222 455. I recall lots of icy slush being tossed up under the rockers on to the fuel line & clambering under the car trying to heat the lines with my hands. Thats a load of fun!

Last edited:
Ethanol is really bad for 2-stokes and for boats. I am going to switch all my toys to premium to get rid of that stuff

A Phillips 66 self-serve a few miles away *was* a no-ethanol gas source. Sadly, their banners & pump stickers, proclaiming "Our Gas Contains NO Ethanol", disappeared about a month ago. My gas mileage says that yup, their gas is now the same as most others around here. So right now I have a full tank of Shell(may contain up to 10% ethanol
31.gif
) mixed at about 7.3 gal super(claimed 93 octane) plus the rest reg in a 22 gal tank. Closest source at that website is a no-name inLongview TX over 30 miles away.
mad.gif

So is Shell the only company here in Ontario who's premium gas contains no ethanol? I'm including Cdn Tire and Ultramar who are supplied by Shell.

What is the enthanol percentage of their regular 87 octane gas?
I know the pumps of various gas companies say may contain up to 10% but what is the actual percentage?

Somewhat off topic, but has anyone else noticed that our premium gas has a octane rating of 91 for all gas companies (some used to say 92 but not any more) and in the States it's 93 octane for their premium gas?

i thought ESSO is the supplier to CanadianTire gas bar? i have notice that many in my area such as ESSO, Shell, SUNOCO do not contain ethanol in the premium gas.
how about MMT? anyone?

MMT has been banned in Canada, and it shouldn't be in gas.

Ethanol replaced MMT as the oxygenate.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

is it? i know it's banned in US, but i dont think that the case for Canada. link of MMT
it's good to see refineries are not using MMT. if Shell is Top Tier, then there is no MMT in Shell gas. is ESSO the supplier for Canadian Tire gas?

Originally Posted By: gogozy
Originally Posted By: addyguy

is it? i know it's banned in US, but i dont think that the case for Canada. link of MMT
it's good to see refineries are not using MMT. if Shell is Top Tier, then there is no MMT in Shell gas. is ESSO the supplier for Canadian Tire gas?

Not even Esso stations sell Esso gas. All tanker trucks are now private companies, so there is no way to know who refined the gas without asking the driver

Esso is supposedly top-tier, if that really means anything anymore. I've been using Esso because with gas priced fixed here, I can at least collect the Esso points. There is no Shell here. Choices here are CT, Esso, Ultramar, North Atlantic, and Irving.

Esso and Irving are the two dominant players, each having by far the biggest share of the pie here.

-Spyder

Does anyone know if ethanol is in use in Nova Scotia. None of the stations in my area indicate that they are, but I have been having some issues with my vehicle that appear to be fuel related.

Petro-Can and Ultramar are the only companies I get my gas from I get noticeable increases in mileage from those two suppliers.
I purchase Premium only.
Ethanol lowers gasoline Fuels potential energy decreasing mileage, when combined with Gas it burns with more particulates in the exhaust tested with E test technology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back