Gate or Motorcraft Hoses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My independent only carries Gate hoses and belts...He can get me Motorcraft hoses if I want but he says the Gate is just as good and most new cars come with Gate hoses...He said Ford probably gets Gate hoses but just put their name on it.

I know Gate is a good brand but is it just as good as Motorcraft?..I have almost 100K on my Motorcraft hoses now.

I prefer Gates brand belts and hoses over anything else, would recommend just going with the gates hose.

What Ive done is I go to an Online Ford Dealer and get parts at about 55-60% of list price for Motorcraft Parts like Hoses filters pcv valves etc. Some even have body glass transmission exhaust parts. I don't think they will ship fluids though. Usually costs about $10 to ship but the prices are way cheaper than auto parts stores for OEM parts vs Aftermarket and you know that the parts fit. So far so good with the quality of these items. Ive dealt with a dealer out of Texas. Check prices because different dealers online prices vary as does shipping.

Motorcraft. Gates may be a supplier to Ford but the quality standards may be different.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Us dealer parts guys like donuts or beer. Just saying it helps if you want a better price.

So that's the secret!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Motorcraft. Gates may be a supplier to Ford but the quality standards may be different.

Us dealer parts guys like donuts or beer. Just saying it helps if you want a better price.

So that's the secret!
lol.gif

just in case anyone is wondering the beer is for after work to help us forget about the BITOGers that come in asking a million questions. i kid i kid.

Thanks guys for the info.

The independent said I can get the best deal on the Gates...Spoke to some kid in a really beat up Inteceptor last night who parked next to me and he said his Gate hoses and belts have over 180K miles on them.

I will check out the silicone ones for sure FalconLS.. I meant to ask the independent about that but didn't.

Critic I will ask the Ford parts department what real brand they use.

I was only planning on doing the top and lower hose bdcardinal but will look into to doing the others.

Thanks for online info oilstudent24.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Critic I will ask the Ford parts department what real brand they use.

I can tell you the Ford parts dept uses Motorcraft. We are not given vendor information, as Ford reserves the right to change vendors at any time. We also have been having a lot of vendor issues from the other 2 domestic manufacturers that took bailouts putting the vendors out of business.

my Gates rep swears that AC Delco hoses are made by Gates and the Motorcraft belts and hoses are also sourced from Gates.

Would we get a GREAT price if we brought you donuts AND beer?
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

One of the guys at the Ford dealership I go to occasionally tells everyone:
"The price goes up if you try to tell me how to do my job."
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
I personally use Gates hoses and belts if I have the time to order them (cheaper than the local NAPA). If I have to get it locally, I'll spend the extra on a NAPA brand Gates belt, but I'll use AAP Dayco hoses.

FWIW, the factory motorcraft hoses on my dad's 1990 Mustang are in perfect shape after 20 years. He coated them with 303 aerospace protect a couple of times in the first year or 2, and hasn't touched them since. The stuff made them smooth and slightly shiny like silicone (even though they're not), and they don't look aged at all.

I'm not sure who makes the hoses for Motorcraft, but I wonder if a manufacturer like Ford or Chevy has to meet more stringent standards than an aftermarket manufacturer. I'm not saying Gates or the others won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back