2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i first OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good @ 1k miles, The oil filter is a you know what? to get off. A filter cup and extension would have helped. I normally stick with an OE filter but have not found them on ebay at a price I am willing to pay, for now Wix oil filter and 5w30 Wolfshead.

Wix should be good. I get my Wix from Amsoil. They do the whole synthetic media stuff - supposedly filter to very small particle size.

Are you using Wolfshead dino or synthetic ?

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Next time, try the small-filter wrench from Amsoil. Filters are hard to take off of my wife's Altima and this little baby makes it easy.

g2198_300px.jpg

I would stick with the OEM filter while you are under warranty. Even if you buy it from the dealer, at least they won't stick you with an engine repair bill because you used a wix and something happened that wasn't your fault.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the advice - Oilnerd thanks for showing me that claw oil filter wrech, I am going to look into that. About the warrenty Wix labels the box meets or exceeds manufactures specifications when used in accordance with specified oil also that they warrenty vehicle and I am sure others are labeled the same. I thought there is a law from the 1970s that put a stoped to dealers breaching on factory warrenties from not using OE parts, Not to mention the product is labeled meets or exceeds OE Specifications.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
About the warranty Wix labels the box meets or exceeds manufactures specifications when used in accordance with specified oil also that they warranty vehicle and I am sure others are labeled the same. I thought there is a law from the 1970s that put a stoped to dealers breaching on factory warranties from not using OE parts, Not to mention the product is labeled meets or exceeds OE Specifications.

You are correct. Use any filter that meets the manufacturers requirements. Wix, Fram, Purolator, etc are all fine.

Not that it matters, but there are few oil filters that meet Subaru's bypass valve spec of 23 psi's. So even though they say they meet or exceed manufacture specs, they don't meet the bypass valve spec. Wix is 8-11 psi's. Purolator has a couple of filters that are closer to OEM.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Not that it matters, but there are few oil filters that meet Subaru's bypass valve spec of 23 psi's. So even though they say they meet or exceed manufacture specs, they don't meet the bypass valve spec. Wix is 8-11 psi's. Purolator has a couple of filters that are closer to OEM.

-Dennis

One of those is L14460, is there other Purolator meets the 23 psi setting too?

That's 23psi of differential right? If so, then why would using one with a lower bypass spec matter?

Originally Posted By: Kitto

-Dennis

I thought there was another one that was close (18 psi's), although the 14460 might be the only one. Just going from memory.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
What does that mean with the bypass valve?

This thread may make your head explode, but mainly because of the high volume oil pump.

Having said that, there are probably thousands of Subaru's running low bypass valve setting oil filters. The only problem with aftermarket is that you're on your own if you have a filter failure.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: Kitto

-Dennis

Also the PureOne version, the PL14460. Problem is, they are larger in diameter than the OEM filter and will not fit newer Subies where the exhaust wraps around the oil filter.

I just use the OEM filter. Some dealers will sell them at a discount, and there are discount dealers online. Only a few bucks more than aftermarket, and worth it in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: ron917

Also the PureOne version, the PL14460. Problem is, they are larger in diameter than the OEM filter and will not fit newer Subies where the exhaust wraps around the oil filter.

I do not know about the 2010 or 2011 models, but on my 2008 & 2009 the 14460 fits just like they were made for it. I have no clearance issues.

Originally Posted By: williar
As I recall WolfsHead oil is a cheap oil normally used in junkers that are on their last legs. But, maybe it has improved in recent years.

williar, what part of the wilderness have you been hiding in?
grin2.gif
Wolf's Head has always been a top tier oil and I'm sure it still is as it is owned and manufactured by Amalie out of Tampa, FL now.

The problem I have with the Wix/NG 1356 is the coil spring takes up too much room in the can making the media smaller. The OEM is an ok filter, but just like other Honeywells the cost/value ratio is wrong. Just not a lot of good choices.

Originally Posted By: WagonBoss
Originally Posted By: ron917

I do not know about the 2010 or 2011 models, but on my 2008 & 2009 the 14460 fits just like they were made for it. I have no clearance issues.

I believe that the 14460 may fit the newer models, but the filter will be too close to the exhaust. That's why Subaru went from the OEM (at the time) Purolator to the OEM (at the time) Tokyo Roki. Actually, I'm also thinking about the turbo models so that may not apply to the n/a's. Not sure.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back