What happed to all the Hummers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I very rarely see Hummers in my area; I realize that many people have dumped them, but where did they go? I can't imagine that large number of them have been scrapped.

Probably parked in garages while the owners drive another more economical vehicle... wouldn't think they'd get very much selling or trading in.

Travel 4 hours down south into Hampton Roads and you will see a ton of Hummers. Its like a Hummerfest down here in addition to all the SUV's One time I saw 6-8 truck's and Suv's parked in a row. Or at a stoplight there would be 6-8 trucks or suv's behind each other at a light. I seen alot ever since gas prices went down from $4 back in late 2008. That's when gas fell rock bottom.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The 'look at me' fad when out of style and people got rid of their Hummer.

Doubtful. Delusional people are still abound, thinking we're looking in their direction enviously. Haha

A lot of used cars are exported from the US to places where they are in greater demand.
It may be that as the Hummer H2 fad faded in this country, and the actual (not "book") selling prices tanked, the vehicles were shipped somewhere else.
Incidentally, someone I know who actually ships things tells me that outgoing freight from the US is really cheap, since there is so much capacity available from the flood of imports to the US.
The ships and associated containers come in, and they have to then go back. Better to get some freight, even low value metal scrap and recyclable paper and plastics, then to earn no revenue on the return voyage.

isn't that a pete seegar song?

maybe people are holding onto their hummers for a few years.
doubt if it would really be hard to find one.

The H2 is simply a Suburban in drag.
The H3, a Colorado in drag.
Not so much ugly as silly, pretending to be something they never will be.
Want a really tough vehicle?
Some Land Rovers, as well as some Jeeps, or an old Land Cruiser, or an H1 would fit the bill.
Their performance matches their appearance.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen many lately either.

Resale value on those has probably tanked like no other. It's a bit of schadenfreude.

We had a Hummer dealership here, and when the H2 came and the fad was in full swing, saw them all the time. Can only think of 1 I've seen in the last couple years, owned by a guy nearby another apt I had. Haven't seen that since I moved, or any others. I'm guessing he doesn't drive it very far. As for the rest, they just vanished.

I'm curious as to what the mpg is, and fuel capacity, now, as with gas prices here hovering around $1.04 per liter for plain 87, it can't be cheap to fill up (not curious enough to look it up though).

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
A lot of used cars are exported from the US to places where they are in greater demand.
It may be that as the Hummer H2 fad faded in this country, and the actual (not "book") selling prices tanked, the vehicles were shipped somewhere else.
Incidentally, someone I know who actually ships things tells me that outgoing freight from the US is really cheap, since there is so much capacity available from the flood of imports to the US.
The ships and associated containers come in, and they have to then go back. Better to get some freight, even low value metal scrap and recyclable paper and plastics, then to earn no revenue on the return voyage.

I thought that might explain it, but where were they exported to. do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back