good starter gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally turning 21 next week. So I am able to buy a handgun. Now there's so many options I don't know what is a good pick? I have a local guy that sells all types and price are pretty good then I have a bass pro shop about 45min away from me. What should I be looking for? My budget is 500-600 dollars. Looking for something nice, able to take to the indoor range, and with me hunting. Also for home defense. Any suggestions?

Yes, I'm a Canadian and I like handguns. I've got a Glock 17 for range shooting. I like it. I have no idea what the prices and market are for handguns in the States. Canada is royally messed up.

If you have handgun experience and are confident with them, just about anything that floats your boat will work. Otherwise, my trainer suggested, when I started, to practice with something small but decent. He liked the Ruger .22 pistols for training. That way, you can get plenty of cheap practice. .38 Specials are also nice for that. I like the smaller calibers for indoor ranges, since some of them have restrictions on loads and muzzle velocity, and it's pretty hard to exceed those with a .22, .38 Special, or 9 mm.

I would go ahead and buy something that you can use for the rest of your life rather than settle for just a "starter" gun. I'm a huge 1911 fan and Taurus makes a good one in your price range. If you like plastic, it's hard to beat Glock...lots of support out there (forums, accessories, etc.). The .45 auto is very versatile and will meet all your stated objectives.

A .22 LR pistol will get more use then any other handgun you will have in your collection !! As mentioned above they are great for building your handgun foundation... and even when you get to be expert the 22 lr is one of the best cartridges available in my opinion. Also as mentioned above the Ruger 22 pistols are outstanding, there have been some changes through the years, so research them differences in MK II, MK III ( I left out MK I intentionally) 22/45 etc... There are also some other models I shot a S&W Model 41 for years, and I put around 1k downrange every week if not more..

I doubt that you will be huning with whatever you buy to meet the other needs. To start, Id probably look into a revolver rated for .38spl/.357mag. The .38 is cheap, the .357 gets power. Otherwise look at 9mm for economy. .45 and the like is great, but Id start on something a bit lighter and cheaper.

you will get all kinds of suggestions, but its your hands and only you will know what you like. I would go to a gun range and rent several calibers and types from revolvers to semi auto and shoot them to determine what caliber you want. next i would go to a gun show to see all the different models under one roof find what fits your hand and feels good. then buy from a local dealer so you have a good relationship should you have warranty or other issues!

Good Luck

+1 on the 38/357 revolver. If you buy a .357, it will also shoot .38 and .38+P whereas a .38 revolver cannot shoot .357 rounds. A good Ruger GP100 in a barrel length that you find suitable is an excellent gun to use as a beginning of a handgun collection. If you want to hunt with a handgun, move up to a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum with the long barrel and scope it. Mine will hit a playing card at 50 yds over and over.

Did you look at;

This thread?

This one had a lot of sound advice.

This one.

And another one.

One exactly with the same situation like yours.

And another.

And I only went back 18 months. Spend some time reading through these threads. A LOT of good info (mix within some bias which is normal)

Like you'll read in those threads I'm in the if its a FIRST weapon (you will want and hopefully get more) I'd highly suggest a .357mag 4 inch revolver for the reasons above. IF I had to have only one weapon that is what I would keep.

Also look into joining the NRA.

Take care, bill

A big +1 on joining thr NRA and also to participating in local NRA fundraising dinners and silent auctions.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What percentage of NRA fundraising goes to overhead, CEOs and high-priced lawyers?

Don't know about the first 2, but the main goal of NRA money is the latter.

I'll say 9mm. I like 357s, have one myself, but 9mm ammo is much more abundant and cheaper as well. Glock 19, Springfield XD9, or Smith & Wesson M&P9. They make great home defense or range guns.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What percentage of NRA fundraising goes to overhead, CEOs and high-priced lawyers?

32.gif

Considering the good that they do I don't really care as long as they keep doing the deed.

Their actions in the last month made me happy I have them fighting for my rights. Stopped the thought in its tracks.
01.gif

Bill

If you like military style handguns get a surplus handgun. A CZ82 or a Bulgarian Makarov is $200 and a fine quality weapon. That 9x18 will do the job. Plus the ammo is cheap. Also a Tokarev will do the job and then some with its powerful 7.62x25 round for the same price. Dont waste your time getting a Glock or 1911 for your first handgun. Expensive! Unless you know what your doing a 100% with it your going to ruin it. Learn the ways with a cheap surplus gun first. Ive got a Chinese Tokarev I paid $200 for in a 9x19 and its fantastic and good for noobs for its basic design. Cant screw it up. So I hope you know how to handle and clean a firearm before investing into one.

My sister just turned 21 and we got here a 2 3/4in Ruger speed six. They are really solid guns, but aren't as bulky as the new gp 100's. She really likes it and is a scary good shot.

A good .22 Ruger for about $300 and then save up some money and get a Glock 17, Smith and Wesson M&P, or Springfield XD in 9mm for about $450-550. Don't waste your time on .40 SW or .45 ACP. Ammo is expensive and you will shoot less. The goal of a new shooter is to shoot MORE and to build your skills, hence the recommendation for a .22 pistol and 9mm.

9mm defensive ammo has gotten so good lately that the larger calibers are only marginally better.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
A good .22 Ruger for about $300 and then save up some money and get a Glock 17, Smith and Wesson M&P, or Springfield XD in 9mm for about $450-550. Don't waste your time on .40 SW or .45 ACP. Ammo is expensive and you will shoot less. The goal of a new shooter is to shoot MORE and to build your skills, hence the recommendation for a .22 pistol and 9mm.

9mm defensive ammo has gotten so good lately that the larger calibers are only marginally better.

There ya go. Thats pretty much the best advice Ive read on here. 9mm is the way to go for a pistol for sure. 8 bucks for 50rds is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back