Napa Pro Select 21334 cut open...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made in China...

Was in use 3 months, 10179 Km (6325 miles) summer OCI, 60% highway, 25% commuting and 15% city. 5W-30 VWB.

I have little experience in filter cutting and lack the proper tools hence the lousy job so bear with me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The can is thin but the filter in general appears well made. Plenty of even and not distorted pleats but thin as paper. The pleats were easy to rip by hand. The nitrile ADBV was still soft and pliable.

Worth $2.69? Better than the OCOD?

I put another one on and still have another one in stock but will return to Purolator Classic for a few cents more.

Comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Minou
Made in China...

I put another one on and still have another one in stock but will return to Purolator Classic for a few cents more.

Comments are welcome.

Not a bad looking filter, but who knows what the performance is like. Good decision spending 50 cents more for a Purolator Classic which is of know good quality and performance.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for posting the pics. I used Proselects and Carquest Red filters for the last 2 years and didn't really have any problems with them. I only ran them for a 3000 mile OCI though. I have heard/read online they are an economy filter and are not made for extended OCI's.

My oil pressure was a little strange on my last OCI. It would hold fine at about 65 to 70 psi when on the interstate at 1800 RPM and 70 MPH, but if I had to stop or slow down due to traffic, when I got back up to speed, the oil pressure would always read 5 or 10 psi less than it had before I slowed down. I don't know if that was due to the filter or the Carquest store brand oil I used.

I changed my oil last Saturday and am running Quaker State 10W30 conventional and a Purolator Classic filter now. At highway speeds, my oil pressure stays constant at about 70 psi now, whether I have had to slow down or not. I don't know if that is due to the Purolator filter or the QS oil, but I am glad to be getting better results with the QS/PC combo. I got 5 of the 5 quarts of QS/PC for $12.99 deals at AAP last month.

The Proselect is made by Wix to Napa's standards. It's a good solid filter, some of them are Made in the USA, some are made in China. The Proselect and CQ Red for my truck said Made in USA on the side. I still have 2 CQ Reds in my stash, and may use them sometime with the 8 quarts of Carquest oil I have in my stash too. Either filter is fine but given the choice, I think the Purolator Classic is a better filter for another 50 cents each. Personally I would not run either one past 3500 miles, but I am set in my ways I guess.

Thanks for posting. I cut one of these open a few years ago and found them to be very good filters. The media was a little thin, but other than that a good filter.

If they double the thickness of the media and use silicon ADBV but raise the price by 50 cents, it will be a good value filter.

Yes, thanks for the effort. You did amazingly well, imo. The can looks a little jagged, but so what? I have a filter cutter and it's a challenge not to have the can form a depression at the cutting point and have the cartridge have a hard time getting out of the shell.

How did you cut open the can? I use a hacksaw but it leaves a lot of filings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
How did you cut open the can? I use a hacksaw but it leaves a lot of filings.

I used a hacksaw too and there was a lot of filings as well.

But now that my 'Fe has cartridge filters, I may not have to cut open another filter for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back