Whad'ya think of this Champ Labs filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luber-Finer, one of Champion Labs' brands and well know among users of big engines, has extended their catalog to almost every engine. http://www.luber-finer.com/Web/Luberfiner_Online_Catalog_Frameset.htm

I inquired about their Luber-Finer PH2835 filter to fit one of my engines, specifically asking for the bypass setting and if it was identical to another filter in the Champ Labs' stable, and got this response:
--quote--
The Champ PH2835 has a by-pass setting of 11-17 PSID. We do not have an identical filter to this in our line. On certain applications, if there is
room and clearance for a longer filter, a PH400 may be used. The PH2835 is rated at 25 microns.

Thank you.

Chad Garrett
Technical Assistance Representative
Champion Laboratories, Inc.
--end quote--

Anyway, this filter doesn't sound too good. 25 microns at an unspecified efficiency...well, we can do better, although the other Champ Labs filters listed for this application have a non-stock bypass setting of 8 psid.

What do you think?
Ken

I don't think you should expect too much from a full flow filter. Luber-finer has a decent filter that uses shredded newspapers and wood chips. Fleetguard, Wix and a few others make elements for the Luber-finer housing that also use shredded newspapers.
I've always been big on submicronic bypass filters.
You might find the following interesting:

Title: Don't Bypass Bypass Filters

Author: Gelinas, Tom

Journal: Fleet Equipment Vol: 14 Iss: 7 Date: Jul 1988 pp. 39-41

Abstract:
According to some estimates, 60% of the potential causes of engine wear and failure can be eliminated by a well-designed and properly applied filtration system. Cummins Engine Co. recommends that both a bypass filter and a full-flow filter be used. A bypass filter shunts 10% of the total oil pump output through a filter and then back to the sump, bypassing the engine. Because this filter has high-pressure differential and low flow rate, it can filter out fine particles in the 5-micron range. In contrast, a full-flow filter has a low-pressure differential and filters out only large particles in the 40 micron to 60 micron range. However, the full-flow filter is located so that all of the oil must flow through it before reaching the bearings. The combination of these 2 filter types gives double protection against wear. Studies at the Cummins Technical Center indicate that wear can be reduced up to 91% by using a bypass filter in combination with a full-flow filter.

Ralph

quote:

Originally posted by RalphPWood:
I don't think you should expect too much from a full flow filter. Luber-finer has a decent filter that uses shredded newspapers and wood chips.
You might find the following interesting:

Title: Don't Bypass Bypass Filters

Author: Gelinas, Tom

Journal: Fleet Equipment Vol: 14 Iss: 7 Date: Jul 1988 pp. 39-41

Abstract:
a full-flow filter has a low-pressure differential and filters out only large particles in the 40 micron to 60 micron range.
Ralph

I know that Luber-Finer is well know for their bypass filter elements and housings for bigger engines. I'm not sure that the contents could be accurately characterized as shredded newspaper and wood chips. Cellulose...OK, but with more processing than you suggest.

And, I think that there are many off-the-shelf full flow filters that filter finer than 40-60µ.

Ken

You get what you pay for. Do you think that a $2 filter was going to perform like a $15 filter? They could all come from the same manufacturer, but still be made to different specs. Big difference between Chevy Aveo & Cadillac too.

Did you REALLY have to dredge up, and comment on, an eight year old thread?

33.gif

Was really getting into the conversation. Until I saw it was a 8 year old thread, wow they had some pretty interesting discussions back then

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Was really getting into the conversation. Until I saw it was a 8 year old thread, wow they had some pretty interesting discussions back then

Its well worthwhile to read through some of the older threads. A lot of the things taken as a "given" now were heavily debated in them.

They pre-date - by far - my own membership here, but there have been many nights at work where I've used dead time to comb through older threads. There were indeed many, many interesting discussions in them and a lot of gold to find.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
They pre-date - by far - my own membership here, but there have been many nights at work where I've used dead time to comb through older threads. There were indeed many, many interesting discussions in them and a lot of gold to find.

I hear you. I definitely like the old VOA and UOA threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back