G05 vs. Prestone Any Color Extended Life Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. I have a 2001 Chevy Z-71 with 5.3L Motor. I went away from DexCool (Not starting that war or debate) lol but after reading the great info on this board I further switched from Prestone Any Color Extended Life To G05. Since the switch my trans temp has shot up by about 20 degrees. I know its been real hot in the south but same temps outside before my trans ran about 20 to 30 degrees cooler.

I have had the trans. filter changed as well as running RedLine D4 ATF and had the temp guage checked on the trans. It is working correctly. Could G05 have any effect on this?

Should I stick with the G05 or should I go back to the Prestone Any Color Extended Life Coolant? I'm not really sure what to do. Also, I mixed the G05 50/50 with Distilled Water.

I always bouth the pre-mixed 50/50 prestone at walMart. I have measured carefully to make sure I got a good 50/50 Mix of G05 and Distilled Water.

Also, my engine is running temp wise where it always has. I figured the coolant caused the trans to run hot it would cause the engine to run hot also. I have no problems with the G05 or the Prestone just trying to decide which one I should stick with.

Prestone extended life is a version of Dexcool. I prefer the Havoline version of Dexcool. But if you have no issue with the Prestone then you have no issue with Dexcool because it is a version of it. I'd suspect that the transmission fluid change had the effect on trans temperature more than the switch to G-05.

As others have said, there's no way G-05 could have an effect on the transmission temp unless you had it in the wrong mix ratio. Its the same bulk fluid (ethylene glycol) as DexCool and Prestone, so its heat capacity and thermal conductivity are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back