bp 93 octane = white gas?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
good afternoon fellas. back in the '80's my dad was a big fan of amoco ultimate 93 octane clear/white gas. my question is the current bp,which bought amoco a while back,93 octane the same as the old amoco 93 octane white gas? also, how does it stack up to other top tier,shell,texaco,chevron,gas? i want to use this in my small engines if it is significantly better than texaco 93 octane. is bp's add pack as good as texaco's techron?
thanks,
whitearrow

Don't know about the "white gas", but my guess is that the gas at each Amoco station is different. For example, one Amoco station in my area lists "No Ethanol - 100% Gas" while the other has stickers on the pumps that state 10% ethanol.

I've been wondering this same thing. The BP by where I live still has the Amoco Ultimate 93 Octane listed for its high octane gas. I had heard that it was crystal clear and a top of line gas in its day.

It is/was called clear as it had little or no color. White gas is entirely different and contain no additives to raise octane and was used for cleaning, heaters and Colman type lanterns. My local BP that was an Amoco is poorly managed and ill kept. The gas they sell states UP TO 10% ethanol. I don't buy there anymore

I remember the white gas, and the advertisement. I ran it at the time in a built 350 with a "full race cam" high compression heads, other odds/ends, however the motor was setup to run on 87 pump gas.. but still got some spark knock etc.. I would run the white gas in the summer time, and at times in the winter, it was outstanding gas, and gave me 17 mpg in a low geared hot rod if I stayed out of the throttle.

After that I ran it in fuel injected engines made for 87 octane every few months as a cleaning, in my opinion this white gas so to speak works far better than the fuel injection cleaners at the time that could be purchased.

The pump handle had a clear glass with small balls ( two or so) that you could see the gas going through, it was crystal clear as posted above.. if this gas is the same gas as it used to be it's outstanding gas, but not needed on every tank for engines rated @ 87 octane...

I have watched stations purchasing gas local, most of them have the same tanker dropping gas at their tanks, I'm sure some additive packs get changed around etc, however I don't see much difference, and never have in gas from station to station... the white gas is however a variant from that...

I thought Amoco was called "white gas" because it did not contain tetraethyl lead like all the other gasoline did at the time? Like in the 50's and 60's. Eventually, all fuels became unleaded in the 70's due to the EPA edicts, and Amoco became irrelevant as just another fuel. Does anyone else remember it this way, or am I having false memories?

I used to buy Amoco Ultimate 93 all the time. It was crystal clear. They used to have a clear spot on the gas handle so you could see while you pump it as well.

The local air field pilots would make the few mile drive down the road to the Amoco so they could buy some of it. I'd see them pull up trucks with bunches of big gas cans to fill up. They'd cut the 93 with high octane gas down at the air field. It was cheaper that way and a few of them told me they saw no difference in doing so.

I don't know if the BP in your area still caries it, but some here still advertise the crystal clear gas for the 93 octane.

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
I thought Amoco was called "white gas" because it did not contain tetraethyl lead like all the other gasoline did at the time

Thats my understanding too

well fellas i was just calling it,white gas, what my dad,rip, called it back in the '80's. he really believed in it. he evidently was doing something right. he was a field rep for the state textbook commission and drove inexpensive cars since he just wore them out anyway. i remember he had a '84 chevette that had 212,000 miles,well actually 12,000 since back then the odometer didn't have but 5 digits back then as nobody ran then that long,on the clock and all he ran was amoco ultimate 93 octane. he also did 4,000 oci with good old quaker state back then. looks like he was way ahead of his time. factor in that was the car that i learned to drive a stick on all 60 horsepower of it and a 4 speed.
thanks,
whitearrow

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
U.S. Sunoco is not top tier, but Canuck Sunoco is?!

Completely, completely different entities.

The 'Sunoco' name only is 'owned' up here by Suncor Energy. Suncor used to sell gas under the 'Sunoco' name, but it was NOT the same gas as in the US.

Suncor recently bought out Petro-Canada, so Sunoco stations are either being sold off, or are being converted to PC stations. Sunoco in Canada will soon disappear.

See more at: http://www.sunoco.ca/default.aspx?ID=2603

Sunoco in the US is a different company, that, at least in the past, had a line of motor oils as well as well as gas sales.

Last edited:
Amoco premium 'white' gas, in the late '50s and part of the '60s, did contain lead. My dad owned an Amoco station during that period.

I seem to remember the tetraethel? tag on the pumps.

whitearow,

I use ARCO/BP out here in California and give my truck/car no problems at all! Allot of people hate ARCO but it works for me.

Currently the price is right for my pocket book too. My only snit is that ARCO has no credit card ability so I have to pay cash and sometimes I don't have cash to do it. No flexability at all but I like the price:)

Durango

Very little relationship to gasoline now compared to gasoline thirty years ago. Regardless of brand the gasoline is different due to emission regulations requiring cleaner burning gas and more consistent formulation of the gas. The gas is different because the refiners have found ways to get more gasoline from the crude oil. And, gasoline formulas in some regions of the country change as the seasons change for cleaner emissions.

Forget the brands from the old days. Try each locally available brand and see which runs best in your engines--and one brand might run better in your Ford and another brand might run better in your Chevy. If you wish, figure the fuel cost per mile to find the true cheapest gas, not just the lowest cost per gallon.

The BP/ARCO I've tried here on the West Coast was junk. It was worse than the supermarket brands. It was the only brand of gas where I readily noticed the gas gauge dropping faster than any other brand of gas. The price was low, but I'm not sure if the cost per mile was low.

IIRC, all gasoline is clear or "white" to very pale yellow. Any color is from added dye. From filling up my bikes, the "name brand" premiums all seem totally clear, the cheaper "no-name" regular grades tend to be pale yellow. Maybe better/more refining for the premiums??

I know a thing or two about this topic. My friends and I use to use NOTHING but Amoco Ultimate 93oct. I live in Central Illinois and the Whiting Refinery is up further north near Chicago. I’ve called them before and they said they do make crystal clear (they call it water clear) 93 octane; however, it’s provided based on geographical locations. They said further south in the U.S. you may be getting Amoco Ultimate that isn’t clear, but they guarantee it’s performance just the same. The reason it is clear is because they refine it the extra step to remove all the fluorocarbons, the yellow residual which makes the gasoline appear yellow that has the tendency to leave deposits. But it is also countered by detergents so I doubt you have to worry any more whether or not you are getting the clear stuff or not. Also, interestingly, Amoco Ultimate (water clear) is the only gasoline that is separated from all other refineries gasoline. They basically babysit the product from pipeline, onto the fuel tanker and into the storage tanks at the gas station to ensure it is never mixed with the fungible gasoline that we all get wherein all the brands add in their own additive pack.

Stay tuned. I'm going to call the Whiting refinery tomorrow morning and find out if they still make "water clear" Amoco Ultimate. I haven't spoken to them in over 5 years, with BP's takeover I'm curious to know to what capacity Amoco still exists as a gasoline supplier. I will post back my findings tomrrow along with any other technical data they are able to provide me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back