2007 BMW 335i Oil ??? BMW is not clear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Thats a great car BTW!

The engine is fantastic. A good friend of mine has a 135i with the same unit in the family.

The Dinan upgrade is absolutely obscene! Something you might look into if youre really power hungry. They still honour the full BMW warantee as well. Something in the neighborhood of 390 hp, and 410 torque.

Its probably the best engine for the power seekers this decade. Its basically the Toyota Supra Turbo of the 2010's.
This is somewhat off topic. Being a BMW owner, I am also a big fan of the 335i. I'd be happy to be driving one. However, I think it's a bit overly generous to equate the BMW engine to the Supra Turbo engine. That engine can be upgraded to well over 500 HP with relatively minor changes. For someone more ambitious, the engine can be boosted to well north of 1000 HP. The Supra Turbo engine is probably one of the most over-engineered powerplants ever made. I don't think the same can be said for the 335i engine. I would be surprised if the BMW engine would hold together for long at over 500 HP, let alone 750 or 1000 HP.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
I know M1 HM 10W30 is an amazing oil, but I am just not sure if it can withstand German Twin Turbo engines, if it were a regular euro engine or just a turbo engine...at least that is my hunch!
Why not? If you know anything about oil, you want a 10-30 NOT a 0W to have a more shear stable oil. Look at the HTHS - 3.7cP that tells you just about everything you need to know in high heat high stress apps ( given the already generous detergent and API-SL zddp package in the HM oil). If the new formulation of the oil is PAO + Visom, it the same thing as the 0w-40 MINUS garbage VII and built on a higher weight base stock. It's GOT to be better than 5w-30 and 0w-40, though the Castrol would make an intersesting comparo. Another option would be Amsoil ATM and of course 10w-30 Redline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I know M1 HM 10W30 is an amazing oil, but I am just not sure if it can withstand German Twin Turbo engines, if it were a regular euro engine or just a turbo engine...at least that is my hunch!
Why not? If you know anything about oil, you want a 10-30 NOT a 0W to have a more shear stable oil. Look at the HTHS - 3.7cP that tells you just about everything you need to know in high heat high stress apps ( given the already generous detergent and API-SL zddp package in the HM oil). If the new formulation of the oil is PAO + Visom, it the same thing as the 0w-40 MINUS garbage VII and built on a higher weight base stock. It's GOT to be better than 5w-30 and 0w-40, though the Castrol would make an intersesting comparo. Another option would be Amsoil ATM and of course 10w-30 Redline.

Same HTHS as M1 0w40.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Same HTHS as M1 0w40.
grin2.gif

Yes, but his point was that a 10w-30 oil with the same HTHS will be more stable because it requires less VIIs.

I would love to measure the HTHS after 2K hard miles with ~ 1/2% ethanol + H2O and toluene diluent and see what we got. I bet EoM has some advanced shear stable VII in there(0w-40), but that VII stuff has always been a gummy feeling power killer according to my very dear rear dynomometer. PP 5w30 may show great UOA # but it feels like Wrigley's in the sump when you push it. Have you seen the history channel special about OIL where the O Motor oil co is dumping the cold flow methacrylate polymer (VII) in the oil mixing vat? Not rocket science by any means - looked more like a dog food factory :) I like to have a block of that Goop to put on my desk at work ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BobFout

Same HTHS as M1 0w40.
grin2.gif

Yes, but his point was that a 10w-30 oil with the same HTHS will be more stable because it requires less VIIs.

I see that side of it (100C visco / HTHS) but in another thread it was mentioned this doesn't always hold true when dealing with group IV or V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back