Prius Multi-Function Display Broke-- $1300!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend's 2006 Prius w/79k has a broken multi-function display. The multi-function display does not respond to touch inputs, so inputting an address to use the navigation is impossible. This also means you are unable to control the audio and climate controls from the screen.

Usually the broken display problem only affects the 04/05 models. Failures on the 06 models occur but are not as common. A refurb is ~$1300 as the screens for the Nav equipped models are 3x the price as the non-Nav models.

The local dealer is going to go to request goodwill consideration, so hopefully Toyota contribute some money towards the repair. The car has a near-complete service history with Toyota dealers through its previous owner. If goodwill is not successful, LKQ wants $515 shipped for an used unit from a 07 Prius.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with requesting goodwill assistance?

Thanks.

not as common in 2006 why? Because of the typical number of hours that it has been on to-date?

Those things concern me, and it is why I will not buy a car with navigation, etc. It is all prone to breaking, and not cheap to repair. At some point in the future, it will not be supported, and then the vehicle displays will be worthless. Not what I need...

Get the car's history. if the car has been regularly serviced at the dealer, IMO they are more likely to help repair it than if it was not. What is the warranty on the car? 3/36? What about on the "hybrid system"?

If you get lack of service, Id then write to toyota telling them of the dissatisfaction in the product, and how what you expected to be "toyota quality" was actually an inferior device with poor lifetime, which costed a significant amount of money. You are very unhappy with them, and unless this is resolved, you will not be buying toyota again.

The Prius is one car that needs the extended warranty and should be traded in when the warranty is over. A friend has a 2010 and has been back to the dealer several times with issues. I do not know anyone who would buy one used.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
not as common in 2006 why? Because of the typical number of hours that it has been on to-date?

Those things concern me, and it is why I will not buy a car with navigation, etc. It is all prone to breaking, and not cheap to repair. At some point in the future, it will not be supported, and then the vehicle displays will be worthless. Not what I need...

Ditto. This is why I hate this stuff. And I could live without the nav, but when the climate controls don't work you're stuck paying the big bucks. What's wrong with a switch?
15.gif

John

Originally Posted By: The Critic
My friend's 2006 Prius w/79k has a broken multi-function display. The multi-function display does not respond to touch inputs, so inputting an address to use the navigation is impossible. This also means you are unable to control the audio and climate controls from the screen.

Usually the broken display problem only affects the 04/05 models. Failures on the 06 models occur but are not as common. A refurb is ~$1300 as the screens for the Nav equipped models are 3x the price as the non-Nav models.

The local dealer is going to go to request goodwill consideration, so hopefully Toyota contribute some money towards the repair. The car has a near-complete service history with Toyota dealers through its previous owner. If goodwill is not successful, LKQ wants $515 shipped for an used unit from a 07 Prius.

] Does anyone have any advice or experience with requesting goodwill assistance?

Thanks.

I do ... I can get you a new set of tires for it.
35.gif

My VW has analog knobs for climate, YAY!

I have no interest in the "upgraded" electronic dual-zone climate control.

Different design and supposedly, it didn't have the QC problem of the units in the 04/05 models.

Get the car's history. if the car has been regularly serviced at the dealer, IMO they are more likely to help repair it than if it was not. What is the warranty on the car? 3/36? What about on the "hybrid system"?

All servicing has been done by a Toyota dealer aside from the last 2 oil changes. 3/36 on bumper to bumper and 7/100 on powertrain since the car is CPO.

Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE
The Prius is one car that needs the extended warranty and should be traded in when the warranty is over. A friend has a 2010 and has been back to the dealer several times with issues. I do not know anyone who would buy one used.

Not true. This and the inverter coolant pump are the only issues that these cars really have. The inverter pump is about a $500 repair and if you have a non-nav model from 04/05, the screen is $450. Otherwise, these cars are near bulletproof.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

All servicing has been done by a Toyota dealer aside from the last 2 oil changes. 3/36 on bumper to bumper and 7/100 on powertrain since the car is CPO.

isnt the computer part of the powertrain? it tells you everything that is going on with it... How else can you watch battery SOC, that all hybrid systems are a go, etc?

isnt the computer part of the powertrain? it tells you everything that is going on with it... How else can you watch battery SOC, that all hybrid systems are a go, etc?

Absolutely not.

It is considered an Audio/Visual component. Powertrain warranties usually only cover the axles, engine hardware and transmission hardware.

This Prius vs M3 mpg comparison from Top Gear made me lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
I like the Prius vs the .50 BMG better.....

I was just laughing out loud, my wife probably thinks I'm nuts
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE

I did. If you get it Toyota Certified Used, you get it with a better-than-new 7/100 wty. I upgraded to full, bumper-to-bumper coverage for about a hundred bucks. Ours is approaching 100k miles (it's an 04) and has been almost flawless. About three years ago, I got a "Christmas tree" of warning lights, but it was only a software glitch easily corrected with a plug-in update.

More to the point, I'm not sure where that $1300 figure is coming from. Mine came, again used, with a substantially scratched MFD. It's fully functional, but it is a noticeable blemish. I asked a couple years ago, and while I don't recall the figure, I'm pretty sure it was safely within the three digit range. Additionally, by now, there should be examples in the yards from which one can pull a much less expensive, used replacement. Why not try that route?

My experience is that if you service the vehicle at the dealership it is taken into consideration by service manager/writer and auto maker themselves.

If the car has never seen the dealership for service etc the chances go way down.

They probably will come up with a compromise.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
I asked a couple years ago, and while I don't recall the figure, I'm pretty sure it was safely within the three digit range. Additionally, by now, there should be examples in the yards from which one can pull a much less expensive, used replacement. Why not try that route?

Some automakers increase parts prices as the car gets older. Why I do not know, but I've seen it a few times. Probably it happens because the part is no longer used in production and so not as many are being made.

As far as the wrecking yards go, my experience has been that if it's a part that's known to fail and costs a lot at the dealer (1) you aren't going to get a good deal at at a wrecking yard because it's in high demand (2) the one you get probably won't be any better than what you're replacing (so it'll fail too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back