New model PF63, any info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3.6 motor in my new '11 Acadia specs the AC PF63 in the OM. However, the actual factory filter has a sticker that says replace with the PF48. The PF48 is what the 2010 model 3.6 motors spec'd.

I called the dealership and they confirmed that the OM is correct and that it uses the PF63 and not the PF48 as the previous model year did with the same motor and that this is a brand new part number meaning a new model filter. They also said only one dealership had any in stock in the area and that this was completely new to them.

Any parts guys out there have any info on this new filter? Does it have better filter capacity/longer life or have anything to do with the new Dexos requirement.

Did a few searches found a Purolator cross reference L22500, 2.98 x 4.08 in, M22 x 1.5 threads, relief valve and anti drainback valve.

Originally Posted By: ABomb369
The PF48 is what the 2010 model 3.6 motors spec'd.

As well as for the 09 and 08 and 07 3.6 motor (DI or otherwise).

Looked on the GM Powertrain site and couldn't find specs on 2011 MY engine, only has archives for 2010 and prior.

Originally Posted By: iExcel
rockauto still shows the same FRAM PH10060 oil filters for both 2011 and previous years.

This is interesting as I could not find it on their site, but I was searching by vehicle and not by model of engine. I also could not get part numbers from Fram or Wix using the part number cross reference and putting in the PF63 part number.

However, it seems Purolator/Bosch are recommending the same filter that is there replacement for the PF48 when you cross reference it to the PF63 and Champ Labs specs the PH500 filter for the '11 model year instead of the PH48 (same as PF48) recommended on the previous 3.6DI models.

The PF63 filter also appears to be a larger filter than the previous PF48 model which makes me wonder why the move to a larger filter on this motor?

After much research on this model filter it appears that it is the basically the Champ Labs PH500 model. The PH500 model has only had previous applications for Chrysler and Ford and thus why it appears to be new to GM and have limited availability under the ACDelco brand. This new filter for the 3.6 engine appears to just be a longer version of the existing PF48 model.

PH500
Buyers Guide Application Dodge/Jeep V6 3.7L (2009-11), Ford Products V6 (2009-11) (Chrysler 5184231AA)

O.D.: 2.96 [75mm]
Height: 4.44 [113mm]

I.D.: M22 x 1.5 Special Thd.
Anti-Drain: Yes

Relief Valve: Yes

There have now been many UOAs for this DI engine (MY 09 and 10) and many of us concluded based on these #s that this engine is hard on oil. However the one consistently good score has been the "insolubles" which does lead one to conclude that the good old PF48 does just fine filtering the oil.

So given this observation I have no idea the reason for this new PF63 filter.
21.gif

They appear to be specifying these for 2011s only. Also Anything 2011 and up is to get Dexos semi-synthetic oil. We do not have 63s yet, so the 48 is an approved alternative until the 63 comes in. We have had a few Acadia/Enclaves come in with oil related problems. ie: cam chains and such. People run the oil change interval so long with the reminder light and they never bother to check the oil level. I am told oil level sensors are making a return this year. GM is obviously taking a proactive approach with the semi-synth oil and the level sensors. I'm not sure what role the PF 63 is to play in that.

Originally Posted By: Barky
They appear to be specifying these for 2011s only.

We do not have 63s yet, so the 48 is an approved alternative until the 63 comes in.

Because of this Barky does it not make sense that the PF63 could/should be back spec'd to earlier MY Lambdas (which is spec'd for the PF48)?

I would certainly think that the 63 would be back speced. We will have to wait and see what GM wants, but if it were mine, I would insist on the new filter for my 07-10 once they are available.

So why hasnt GM officially back spec'd the filter for earlier MYs?
21.gif

Due to the seemingly high # of timing chain issues on these vehicles I worry about using *any* filter in my 09 Traverse other than the OEM PF48.

Last edited:
Anybody get their hands on a pf63 yet or an equal version ? My 07 5.3 takes the pf48 and I'm intrested in the pf 63.

I've been doing my own research on the pf 63 and have found several clones from Fram, Wix, and Purolator. Seems each has different specs for the bypass pressure. How can that be?

Originally Posted By: Whizbanger
I've been doing my own research on the pf 63 and have found several clones from Fram, Wix, and Purolator. Seems each has different specs for the bypass pressure. How can that be?

The bypass pressure setting is a function of the flow resistance of the media, and how much debris the manufacture thinks the media can take before hitting the bypass setting point.

Theoretically, using different media types in the same exact filter for the same exact car application, could result in slightly different bypass valve settings.

So I picked up a PF63 at the dealership today and I would have to say it seems like a good filter. It is definitly a large filter compared to most and it is NOT an e-core like the STP clone is. Howerver, it did cost $9 bucks which isn't cheap. Hopefully other places will start to carry the this filter once it becomes more available.

Originally Posted By: ABomb369
So I picked up a PF63 at the dealership today and I would have to say it seems like a good filter. It is definitly a large filter compared to most and it is NOT an e-core like the STP clone is. Howerver, it did cost $9 bucks which isn't cheap. Hopefully other places will start to carry the this filter once it becomes more available.

Any chance you'll chop that filter open once it's run is complete? I am interested in seeing the inside of this filter.

Just for clarification, The pf48 and pf46 will not interchange will they? They look very similar (other than overall length obviously) but IIRC, they have different threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back