Price of An Oil Change At Your Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paid $38.95 + tax ($41 total) for an oil change, multi-point inspection at the local Toyota dealer. They used Toyota (XOM) 5w-30, OE filter and a new drain plug gasket.

How much does your local dealer charge for an oil change?

It is against my religion to let someone else change my oil. In fact, I'd rather stare at the sun with binoculars.

I have $8 for life oil changes for my Jeep from my dealer. If they were free for life I still wouldn't let them touch it.

First off they'll pump bulk oil into it and probably a grade that was on sale that week and probably not the right grade for my engine anyway. Second is I'll tie the car up for a whole day. Third I'll have to listen to the hard sell of services I don't need, and then the warnings and impending dangers I face buy not doing them. Fourth the further a dealer's service writer and techs stay away from my vehicle the better for everyone. JMO, and a partial list.

Havent been there for a while but my local Ford dealer was 19.95 for up to 5 qts MC blend and Motorcraft filter with a punch card for the fifth change free. I dont use it but see it advertised.

Originally Posted By: montero1
It is against my religion to let someone else change my oil. In fact, I'd rather stare at the sun with binoculars.

Same here. I won't even take my Caddy which is leased to the dealer for oil changes, because of the ripoff fees on synthetic oil for that vehicle.

like i have said in other threads, i hoard "full synthetics" on sales and rebates (preferably on sale AND rebate). so i do not see how i could get a full synthetic oil change for anywhere near what i pay. and i like changing the oil.

my wife deals with her own car and i deal with mine.

i have 9 oil changes worth of full synthetic in my stash (until the next good rebate comes out).

i see no reason to pay a dealership.

At my Hyundai Dealer:

$28.95 plus tax w/ Castrol GTX
$69.95 plus tax w/ Castrol Syntec

or my preferred option:

$14.95 with customer supplied oil

Either way, they have a punch card program. Buy 3 and the 4th one is free.

I never go to the dealer, here's why:

Recently received a coupon postcard from a local dealership for $50 off an oil change. Total price, with coupon? $300.

Again, for an oil change. Beyond ridiculous.

To be fair, that price includes a new cabin air filter, so I guess it all evens out...

I try to avoid my dealer as the few times I've had to go there for things like recalls or something that requires a special tool they have been so inept that I'd be afraid for my car if I left it there. The last recall repair they did broke within a month. My father goes there and I cringe every time he tells me what he paid for routine maintenance. I don't think he ever gets out of there for less than $400, just for by-the-book check ups and stuff.

My Hyundai dealer has a "gold card" program where you can get $19.95 oil changes for life, QS oil (allegedly
56.gif
) and factory parts.

I took the car in for the first change, will probably take it in again since I'd like them to rotate the tires for me, but this time I'll probably get some filters/crush washers and start changing it myself, at least whenever the tires aren't due for a rotation.

My Dodge dealer is outrageous and I've changed the oil enough times that I can do it in my sleep. The Cobalt ran me $70 last year but this is synthetic oil, and was also the first change so I wanted them to do it.

I have no idea what the Ford dealer charges, but I seem to recall ads for either $18.95 or $19.95 changes.

We purchased my son's Rabbit, used with 17k miles on it. The previous owner had the VW dealer change the oil at 10k miles and left the receipt in the glove box.

$79 labor
$47 Oil (Castrol Syntec 5w40)
$0.30 New Crush Washer
$3.59 Tax
====================
$129.89

I let someone change my oil once and will never do it again. This someone was Jiffy Lube and they cross-threaded my drain plug....and then denied it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: montero1

Dang!! your pretty friggin serious!

I've NEVER had my oil changed at a Stealership and NEVER will. IF I HAD to not do it myself, I'd go anyplace but one.

They are NOT the place to get anything but warranty work done. (and I try to avoid that)

But to answer the question, the Ford stealership that I went to last week looking at cars had a $39.95 oil change sign up. Incl 4 quarts of oil (of course, each quart after that was "only" $6.99)

Bill

About $14 charge including 29 point car inspection including battery test. I bring the M1 EP and the M1 filter. 3 Punch card. Next oc is free. I like the free inspection and battery test. Battery flunked,last time,so I got a new battery. Better'n being stranded. Honda dealer. The regular change w dealer fill/filter is $34.95 before coupons,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back