Now I understand differentials!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I admit that I've always been in the gray about rear diffs. They just always seemed to be so complex!

Well, not anymore!

Great video I found on YouTube:

For others:
A rear differential has two systems.
One is to transfer the power 'sideways'. That is the ring and pinion gears.

The actual differential unit is what decides how the power is applied to which wheel. BTW, often it is both.

A FWD transaxle also has two systems together. Usually a helical gear set and the differential system it drives.

excellent.

they say brilliance is the ability to convey complex concepts in a simple fashion.

in my line of engineering work, if you can't reduce a problem to one page of handwriting (with no fancy mathematics on it) then you probably don't understand the problem.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
excellent.

they say brilliance is the ability to convey complex concepts in a simple fashion.

in my line of engineering work, if you can't reduce a problem to one page of handwriting (with no fancy mathematics on it) then you probably don't understand the problem.

My respect for you is immense. Simplification of complexity is the mark of true intelligence.

Originally Posted By: crinkles

In physics, if you can't reduce one page of handwriting to some fancy mechanics, then there is a problem.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back