i am not sure which atf to use
would i use
mobil 1 synthetic atf
or
mobil 1 dexron VI atf
any help would be great
thanks tim

Last edited:
Use a Dexron VI fluid. If you like Mobil that would work fine.
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

welder,
From one welder to another. Welcome to BITOG!!!

I have used M1 ATF since it came out in the 90s with very good results. I've never had a tranny or PS pump fail, yet.
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Either would work fine. The regular M1 ATF (not DEX VI) is closer to what the tranny originally came with but DEX VI has been backspec'd so either is good. I use regular M1 in my 2002 Buick and it works great.

hi johnny and tig 1 , pbm.
i looked on line and at autozone and i could not find the H specification on the bottles.
i just don't want to use the wrong one and mess it up.
i just found this site , been looking around and it looks pretty cool with lot of information here.

thanks again
tim

Last edited:
You can use ANY brand of DexronVI.

You can also use ANY full synthetic, like Mobil1, Amsoil, Royalpurple, Redline......., that mentions the Dexron spec.

Oh, I must not have read to well. It's auto then GM only supports and recommends Dex6 for them (automatics).

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Oh, I must not have read to well. It's auto then GM only supports and recommends Dex6 for them (automatics).

That's only because DexIII is no longer a recognized spec by GM. I would use a DexIII rated fluid in your DexIII tranny. JMHO.

Every DEX III spec'd GM transmission I have switched to DEX VI has seen a huge improvement in performance. Keep in mind, even though CAFE had alot to do with the implementation of Dexron VI, this fluid is three fold more shear resistant than that of the old Dex III. Less fluid changes is something we can all appreciate. You are losing nothing switching to the new backspec'd DEX VI.

Improvement from DexronIII to DexronVI is a given. But, I wouldn't call it 'huge'. And, I've noticed that by 30k, DexronVI shift quality isn't anything to brag about. So, I don't see less ATF flushes with it.

Its a bandaid for the 'no maintenance' marketing department and the crowd that follows that Pied Piper.

No, not more even. Can't use 'more even' when looking at a viscosity curve of a fluid measured across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back