general consensus regarding Denso AM and Mann filt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what people thing of of these filters. My OEM Mitsu filters are Denso, and they appear to be very high quality (at least by looking at it)

I picked up a Mann and Denso filter yesterday for someones vehicle. The Mann said "Made in U.S.A" (I thought the Mann filters were imported?)

The Mann filter looked to be a nice filter, but the Denso looked even nicer.

Opinions? The Denso has a really nice rubber seal, and silicone ADBV, the Mann has a normal seal, and looks like EPDM adbv. The Denso says "Paper Material", the Mann says nothing.

I personally like the DENSO filters. Click here to see a post where I cut one open at the end of a 6,000 mile OCI.

Mann filters are also supposed to be very good though.

Any oil filter is good for 12 mo/7-8k miles or more in a clean well maintained engine. Since Mann is made in USA, I will buy it over the Denso.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I picked up a Mann and Denso filter yesterday for someones vehicle. The Mann said "Made in U.S.A" (I thought the Mann filters were imported?)

The Mann filters available in the states are just American-made relabeled Purolator Classics. Nothing I've seen or read about them suggests otherwise.

They are fine filters but I would not pay a premium for one if there are Classics sitting on the shelf next to them.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

The Mann filters available in the states are just American-made relabeled Purolator Classics. Nothing I've seen or read about them suggests otherwise.

They are fine filters but I would not pay a premium for one if there are Classics sitting on the shelf next to them.

Mahle filters a competitor to Mann in Germany sells Austrian and German made filters that are second to none in quality. They are literally built like a tank!...I only have experience with them because I own a VW Gold and Mahle is a OEM for VW /Audi..

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Mahle filters a competitor to Mann in Germany sells Austrian and German made filters that are second to none in quality. They are literally built like a tank!...I only have experience with them because I own a VW Gold and Mahle is a OEM for VW /Audi..

For German filters, you and I are lucky to be in Canada. We can get Austrian Mahle, German Bosch, and German Mann filters for next to nothing. The last time I bought a U.S. made Bosch, it was double the price of the German Bosch.

Originally Posted By: Newtonville
This is what the Denso aftermarket looks like inside the can. The Japan made are a lot different with a sponge like medium:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1756916

Well, not all DENSO aftermarket filters look like that. Click here to see a post where I cut one open.

The post you point to isn't really one of their aftermarket filters. It's a Toyota OE filter. DENSO aftermarket filters have a blue can. But the difference in construction might not be aftermarket vs. Toyota OE, it might simply be due to the size of the filter and the applications it serves.

Here we go again. The Toyota filter says Denso on it and except for the black adbv it is the same. In fact Toyota owns Denso. Interesting to pick on that when your filter shows no name at all. I didn't have time to search for pics of the First time fit Denso, they're out there, but not yours. Even your box shows what a Denso looks like. You refuse to show the other side of your filter with the Denso first time fit label, so until you do that, I for one don't believe it. The FTF filters have a gold band around btw, yours doesn't, both pics you have, one on the engine, one on the bench, you show a blank blue can. Pretty coincidentsl to accidently show the blank side two times. Please prove what you say or stop teaching others something wrong.

Here we go again. The Toyota filter says Denso on it and except for the black adbv it is the same. In fact Toyota owns Denso. Interesting to pick on that when your filter shows no name at all. I didn't have time to search for pics of the First time fit Denso, they're out there, but not yours. Even your box shows what a Denso looks like. You refuse to show the other side of your filter with the Denso first time fit label, so until you do that, I for one don't believe it. The FTF filters have a gold band around btw, yours doesn't, both pics you have, one on the engine, one on the bench, you show a blank blue can. Pretty coincidentsl to accidently show the blank side two times. Please prove what you say or stop teaching others something wrong.

Really? You think that I cut open a filter, shared my pictures with BITOG folks, called it a DENSO, had a DENSO box, the can was the same color as a DENSO, but I really used some other brand of filter? Yeah, sure, that makes sense.
thumbsup2.gif

My pictures in that thread showed a blue can without a label because I'd peeled the label off. Simple as that.

Here are some pictures of the same filter. It'll be going on my Nissan the weekend after next when I'll be due for an oil change.

DSCF0881.jpg

DSCF0882.jpg

DSCF0883.jpg

It's clearly an aftermarket DENSO, what they call "First Time Fit". As you can see in the third picture, it was made in Thailand.

What am I teaching others that's wrong? All I've said is that not all DENSO filters look like the black Toyota one that you linked to. We all know that aftermarket and OE filters, even if they're from the same manufacturer, can be different. We also know that different sizes of the same filter, made for different applications, may differ in construction.

Proof enough?

Finally, but now you hopefully can see what I was talking about. The logos are large, and quite distinctive in the new filter, on all sides, but your first one shows nothing on the can at all. That is all I was originally saying, everything looks different than what I have seen. I was about to order one of these in that # just to see myself. I see the baseplate has the same look and six holes your first one did, differing from the Denso box, which are the usual ones. So yes, it looks like, on first look anyway, there is a Denso made with metal end caps, for this application. To finally prove this, when you finish with it, it would be good verification to get back with some pics of this new filter, to have two samples, if you could. My quick post with Toyota Denso innards isn't a weak argument at all. This is how all but yours has looked that I have seen. There are other pics of first time fit innards, they have the usual no endcap design base etc. Like I said the first time, and since the label is paper, pasted on, it COULD BE Denso rebadges this particular filter number.

Since this is for a Nissan, it has no bypass in filter? My Nissan didn't, another reason I first suspected Denso rebadges it, if outside a usual production process.

Thanks very much for posting the pictures and all the effort pertaining to that. I learned something, and not just about filters. I need to be less stubbon and let it go sometimes. It's just oil filters.

The Mann I have here doesn't look like a purolator from what I remember. The Mann metal is all "bright" and the bypass valve looks different.

Finally, but now you hopefully can see what I was talking about. The logos are large, and quite distinctive in the new filter, on all sides, but your first one shows nothing on the can at all. That is all I was originally saying, everything looks different than what I have seen. I was about to order one of these in that # just to see myself. I see the baseplate has the same look and six holes your first one did, differing from the Denso box, which are the usual ones. So yes, it looks like, on first look anyway, there is a Denso made with metal end caps, for this application. To finally prove this, when you finish with it, it would be good verification to get back with some pics of this new filter, to have two samples, if you could. My quick post with Toyota Denso innards isn't a weak argument at all. This is how all but yours has looked that I have seen. There are other pics of first time fit innards, they have the usual no endcap design base etc. Like I said the first time, and since the label is paper, pasted on, it COULD BE Denso rebadges this particular filter number.

Since this is for a Nissan, it has no bypass in filter? My Nissan didn't, another reason I first suspected Denso rebadges it, if outside a usual production process.

Thanks very much for posting the pictures and all the effort pertaining to that. I learned something, and not just about filters. I need to be less stubbon and let it go sometimes. It's just oil filters.

The filters I bought were cased together and all have the same lot number printed on them. (i.e. The yellow number on the side of the can by the baseplate.) As such, I don't expect there to be any differences in construction and thus I probably won't spend the time to cut one open since I've already done that. Whether there's a label on the can or not (because I peeled it off), it's a DENSO. I have a few contacts at DENSO's Aftermarket Technical Services Department and they have confirmed that the 150-1010 is indeed manufactured by DENSO and not outsourced.

The Mann I have here doesn't look like a purolator from what I remember. The Mann metal is all "bright" and the bypass valve looks different.

What color is the can painted? Black ones are 'real' Mann filters while the white ones are Purolators.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

What color is the can painted? Black ones are 'real' Mann filters while the white ones are Purolators.

This mann here is White. I used to get European made mann filters for my old Saab, and I could swaorn their were either green or yellow or white. It has been a while, but for some reason I don't rememeber black.

This mann here is White. I used to get European made mann filters for my old Saab, and I could swaorn their were either green or yellow or white. It has been a while, but for some reason I don't rememeber black.

The German Manns I get are definitely black and labelled as Made in Germany. The box is certainly green and yellow, though. Maybe the older ones were a different color.

Originally Posted By: Garak

The German Manns I get are definitely black and labelled as Made in Germany. The box is certainly green and yellow, though. Maybe the older ones were a different color.

Like I said, I had an '86 saab 900 which I sold in I think 2002, so it has been a long time since I've used one. You are prob right with your statement, I can't remember. For some reason Wix just comes to mind when I thin black,

Like I said, I had an '86 saab 900 which I sold in I think 2002, so it has been a long time since I've used one. You are prob right with your statement, I can't remember. For some reason Wix just comes to mind when I thin black,

He he, when I think Wix, I think white. When we ran the Wix filters exclusively on taxis back in the 1980s, all the Wix filters were white. The Wix for my F-150 is now black, but the Wix for my Audi, however, is still white.

The Mann packaging does seem a bit odd. You get the green and yellow box then a black filter. Maybe the reason I'm picky about filters is because I'm picky about the filters. If they're not white (Wix or Motorcraft) or black (new Wix or Bosch/Mann/Mahle), I don't use them.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back