Shell Rotella T6 in a non diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see some people hear put T6 in their non diesel's. Is that safe? I would like to try it in my VW gti 1.8T. I like the 5w40 viscosity. But I think I once heard or read that HDEO can damage the catalytic converter in non diesels. Can it?

It's fine, most HDEO's also carry an SM(gasoline) rating as well. T6 is a fine oil, I think you'll be happy with it. The T6 is also a "low ash" formula.

Here's a little bit from Shell's website as well;

SM oil will work just fine, for example, in a car that specifies SH. But an SG won?t. You?ll also need the correct viscosity grade. Most modern gasoline engines use 5W-30 or 10W-30 multigrade oils. The "5W" and "10W" part of the viscosity grades help maintain better fuel economy and good cold temperature performance. You can use heavier oils ? but if your vehicle is still under warranty, check first with the engine manufacturer.

If your personal vehicle runs on gasoline and is no longer under warranty, then you?ll need a ?universal? oil (such as ROTELLA T 15W-40) that?s designed to serve both diesel and gasoline engines. Check the label for the API SERVICE designation. Be careful because some premium oils are for diesel use only.

Originally Posted By: bkbenjy
I see some people hear put T6 in their non diesel's. Is that safe?

Yes.

Originally Posted By: bkbenjy
I would like to try it in my VW gti 1.8T. I like the 5w40 viscosity. But I think I once heard or read that HDEO can damage the catalytic converter in non diesels. Can it?

Not an issue with most newer oils. They have to be friendly to diesel particulate filters (DPFs), which means comparable additive level limits to what we have now for catalytic converters.

The real question is whether the additive package is optimal for gas engines. I don't think anyone qualified has answered that question, and I somehow suspect the answer is no -- i.e. it'll work, and it might beat most other oils, but it won't be the best you can get. And of course there's no way to tell if it's properly formulated for your engine in particular.

However, if you're just wondering whether it's a decent option, the answer is most likely yes.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
The T6 is also a "low ash" formula.

Pardon my possible misunderstanding despite being a moderate veteran here but does this also mean "low SAPS"? Google hits imply this to me but I have yet to find anything worded authoritatively from a trustworthy source.

I'm planning to switch to T6 in a couple of BMWs I maintain. I know that in everywhere else in the world BMW has switched to LL-04 low SAPS oils except in North American gasoline powered cars where the fuel contains ethanol they still use LL-01 formulas. LL-04 low SAPS is not performing up to their standards with ethanol fuel.

I may not be so quick to switch if T6 is of this type. Of course I don't run full factory interval anyways so maybe it doesn't matter.

I believe SAPS specifications are different for diesels. Newer low SAPS diesel oils still have more zinc, sulfur, phosphorus, and ash then ILLSAC GF-4.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Pardon my possible misunderstanding despite being a moderate veteran here but does this also mean "low SAPS"?

As I understand, ash is part of SAPS.

Thus, low SAPS means low ash; low ash doesn't necessarily mean low SAPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back