Who is making the Advance Auto Parts batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know who makes the AutoCraft batteries that Advance Auto Parts sells?

Have a coupon but am not sure if I want to buy their battery or just get a Deka or Johnson battery elsewhere.

Can you post a picture of one or describe it?

Typically, Johnson Controls batteries look pretty unique, having removable vent caps with angled corners.

There there's the other mfg who uses recessed vent caps, and then the one who has unserviceable batteries (Delphi? Are they still around?).

2130015_gol_48h6_pri_detl.jpg

This is probably just a generic image but it's what popped up for my brother's Jetta.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
then the one who has unserviceable batteries (Delphi? Are they still around?).

It's not Delphi, it's East Penn. Delphi got folded into Johnson Controls, who makes most of the Advance Auto batteries. Some of the Advance Auto batteries are made by Exide though.

The specs on them are very good, actually better than the more expensive Interstate battery.

Here's the one they show for my car, which is a goofy 49H8 style. They want $135 and the core charge is $12. Interstate wants $50 more.

2130012_gol_49h8_pri_detl.jpg

I don't understand the point of these more expensive imported H6 and H8 batteries (which Advance didn't even stock up until a couple of years ago). I can get either a group 48 for $89 or so, or I can get an H6 for almost $140. The difference is that the H6 is about 3/8" taller, but has less CCA and similar reserve capacity.

Likewise, you can get a group 49 battery for $89 which will fit in place of that 49H8 battery which costs nearly $40 more.

Both Advance and Autozone's catalogs say that my 2006 Saab 93 takes the H6 battery, but they used to say that it takes a group 48 battery (which is, as mentioned, almost $40 cheaper). The Saab dealer replaces the battery in that car with a group 48 under warranty.

I guess if you have to have a battery with fold-down handles that looks like the OEM one, maybe you'll pay the extra $40?

H6 and H8 are European designations for battery size.

H6 is equivalent to group 48.
H8 is equivalent to group 49.

Batteries sold with the H6 and H8 designation are more expensive than their pedestrian group 48/49 counterparts. I'm not convinced that the extra cost is worth it.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
H6 and H8 are European designations for battery size.

H6 is equivalent to group 48.
H8 is equivalent to group 49.

Batteries sold with the H6 and H8 designation are more expensive than their pedestrian group 48/49 counterparts. I'm not convinced that the extra cost is worth it.

Higher capacity or more CCA? Here's the specs on the AAP battery for my car:

Group Size: 49H8
Voltage: 12
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) @ 0°F: 800
Cranking Amps @ 32°F: 950
Reserve Capacity (minutes): 100ah
Terminal Type: SAE top post
Height (in.): 14-5/16
Width (in.): 6-7/8
Length (in.): 7-1/2
Weight (lbs.): 50

Advance Auto Parts won't let me find the specs for their group 49 battery, but here's the one from Autozone which should be identical:

Part: 49-DL
Cost: $94.99
Warranty: 7 YR
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 850
Height (In): 7.5
Length (In): 13.9375
Width (In): 6.9375
Reserve Capacity (Min): 155

AMP-HOUR ratings on Johnson Controls batteries: reserve capacity minutes /0.6
so this battery is 93AH.

A 7AH difference is negligible considering the price difference.

call them up, they should be able to tell you over the phone.....or even, just go in yourself and see what they got to offer :p Most batteries will have a "Distributed by" on the label _somewhere_....

Would you consider 720 vs 800 vs 850 CCA to be a significant difference?

There is an Optima Red Top that fits but is rated at only 720 CCA vs the 800 and 850 I see elsewhere. The reserve capacity is only 90 min vs 100+.

Last edited:
If you really want an AGM battery, call your nearest Carquest and/or Batteries Plus and get a price quote on the group 49 AGM battery they sell. It's likely to be cheaper than the Optima Red Top...and it has 900CCA...and it's an exact-fit battery.

It's made by East Penn and the specs are below (see the 9AGM49 battery):

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0379.pdf

If I were considering an AGM battery, I would get this over the Optima. I'd consider an AGM battery for an underseat or trunk application, otherwise, probably not.

Looks my choices are as follows:

Carquest
900 cca, 185 reserve
$132.99

NAPA
900 cca, 180 reserve
$134.00

East Penn AGM (Batteries Plus)
900 cca, 180 reserve
$155.99

Autocraft Gold (Advance Auto Parts)
800 cca, 100 reserve
$134.99

Carquest and NAPA are basically a wash. The East Penn AGM is a bit more...probably no real reason to spend the extra $20, specs are the same. If that Carquest really is an AGM, it's a great deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back