Amsoil 10W30 racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone is or has run this in their daily driver? I don't have a need for a racing oil but it might be interesting to give it a try.

It is interesting how their site mentions nothing about VII. Makes me think that it does use them.

Yes I Have. Been using it for a few months now in the acura, so far so good. I don't use it for racing but the car has high miles and thought it could benefit from a little extra zinc and phosphorus. Could always use a little TLC

Last edited:
Any noticeable differences from other oils you have run? Mine has 130k+ miles and also want it to last forever.

Is this the DOMINATOR oil line? I've seen this in their brochure and am definitely interested in running the Amsoil 10w30 Dominator oil too and would love to hear other opinions. I assume it's a Group V basestock oil primarily, since it costs so much more that their other stuff. But I am going to pick some up soon from my local Amsoil dealer along with some other stuff. But this oil is the main reason I'm going to see him.

But please, keep the posts coming. I want to hear more about it.

RD 30 has detergents and can be ran in your daily driver. It's just not a long OCI oil. But IMO, it would be a waste of money to do so, as there are better, less expensive choices. If I was tracking my Vette, RD 30 is the oil I'd use.

No real problems using it in a DD, but no benefits either.

I tend to agree with you but I just wanted to get some opinions of people that may have run it.

I'm leaning a lot closer to the ACD right now as it is a long drain oil and much cheaper.

The Dominator line uses little to no VII's IMO. Might take a slight hit in fuel economy, but that's about it.

Does anyone have even a clue as to the group 4 to group 5 base stock percentages in this stuff?

Or is it so 'proprietary' that we will never know? (Yes, like A LOT of/most other top shelf/boutique/racing oils
wink.gif
)

I would think it would have to have a decent amount of group 5 base stock in order to get away with little to no VIIs?

Why pay for something that you will never see a benefit in other that it would be fun to try the oil and not really notice anything for the $$$ spent.

Tempest, I notice the engine seams a little more responsive,but it could be that I went a little thinner this time (10w-30 vs 5w-40)Lubro Moly synthoil high tech with the MOS2 Additive was user previously.This engine is a 1.8L. I have used quite a few brands of oil in the last 13 years, but have mostly used Amsoil. Redline 5w-30 seamed to make the car rev up fastest.The zinc and phosphorus will help protect the cams/lifters and also the cylinder walls so I have been using Amsoil Dominator. The extra $$$ may or may not be worth it in your case. Hope this helps

Last edited:
One of the local auto-xers, who is a National Solo Championship contender according to the SCCA's Sportscar magazine, has been using the Dominator 10W-30 oil in his DSP BMW for several years now. During a conversation last week about the advantages/disadvantages of various oils in the BMW M3 engine, he flatly stated he wouldn't use anything other than the Dominator oil in his car. (The M3 engine is notorious for camshaft wear and loose clearances.)

I found this to be a strong endorsement as RedLine Oil offers very strong monetary incentives to National Solo Winners while AMSOIL does not. He could swap out the Dominator oil, put in the RedLine, apply a sticker, and register with RedLine Oil and pickup a considerable amount of cash if he wins. The fact that he values the oil's lubrication and protection properties more than the contingency cash tells me he's convinced that the extra cost is worth it.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Unfortunately, I'm a Corvette guy - not a BMW guy. However, I believe that his car is the same M3 that requires 12 units of the same Castrol TWS 10W-60 that I use in my ZF-6 speed transmission that costs $9/Liter.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Why pay for something that you will never see a benefit in other that it would be fun to try the oil and not really notice anything for the $$$ spent.

I think you answered your own question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back