I add motor oil & 2 stroke oil to my gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey i have been adding non detergent motor oil to my fuel and been getting better mileage HOW? I did this the other day to a lawn mower because i was out of straight gas. I went to cut grass as usual and usually it takes 2 tanks i did it in 1.25 tanks. So i put some in my car and i went from 22.5-23 mpg to 27-27.5 I know there is a lot to contribute to mileage but i drive harder faster run the air when i did not in similar temps as usual. I also drive the same route only one with this vehicle to work home same gas station not variations period. Been making it for 2 years same gas station same fuel if i run it with 4oz to 16 gals i get 27+ i skip a tank it goes back to 23 How and why does this help? i know it is a high rate of ethanol. I have also doe this with 2 stroke oil in the same dilution and same results. Which is better to use 2 stroke oil or non detergent motor oil? the car has 250k + miles burns a little oil .25 a quart a change and does not have a working sensor left and i think the catalytic converter went 50k ago I dont have to meet any emissions either. What harm could this do other than foul plugs and clog injectors ? Should i change to a hotter plug ? Any help or tips would be great but i think i will continue to run it as long as i see this kind of results Thanks

Let me get this straight, you are running an oil/gas mix in your four-stroke automobile? This is a terrible idea that will only result in a mess inside your engine, further cat degradation, fuel line and injector problems, etc. Plus, you are spewing this oil into the environment. Please stop. Please don't use the fact that the vehicle is on its life. I can't think of any reason that oil in the fuel tank would improve mileage.

Errr... um... err.... hum... well... errr
54.gif

I think i'm just going to sit back and watch.
35.gif

*hits refresh*

2-stroke, in moderation, probably wouldn't hurt anything-but motor oil, in gasoline with a catalytic converter?? As our obnoxious Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco would say-Child, please! The troll is out from under the bridge, paging the Brothers Grimm!

Use two-stroke, in the long term you'll just coke up the inside with the non-detergent.

Pull the plugs to check for black fouling. I'd imagine you have some. Back off the concentration. With 300:1 I was still getting fouling in mine.

Someone here uses 2cyl,with the TCW3 additive,I think mosly asd an upper cyl.,lube.He'll probably chime in on this.Ive done it before in an emergency with no bad effects.prolonged use????You must have a high compression engine.

wow, what made you decide to do this? i guess i want to hear the logic.

i use SAE 30 non-detergent as crankcase oil in my vintage vespa. i can not even begin to imagine putting it in my car.

I like the idea of a UCL but the farthest I'll go is something like the lucas fuel treatment/UCL. Some run 2-stroke oil at a reduced ratio which is probably just fine if not good for the motor but I cant bring myself to do it. Not in my 15 year old 350k Tercel when I had it and DEFINITELY not in my new Ranger. in fact the only additive I've put in it was a small maintenance dose of Redline fuel system cleaner, and even that was undoubtedly unnecessary at this mileage, but no harm done either. I might start using small doses of the Lucas product in it but I would never, EVER put a 4-stroke motor oil in the tank of anything but an older diesel. Even if that motor runs smooth on it a mileage jump of that magnitude as a result is impossible and must have had other causes. And you are probably ruining your injectors and clogging up your filter slowly. That is just not meant to be there. Run some Lucas, or if you must 2-stroke only if you want a UCL so badly but knock it off with the 4stroke. Really man.

Hey i don't know how it works does non detergent have any harmful properties ? So two stroke oil would be better if i continue to run something? It does not seem to foul plugs or even leave a oily residue any more than i usually have. I burn oil as it is crankcase oil that is. What would cause a increase in mpgs when i do this ? No its not a 2 stroke car i didnt even know they made those Cool though ! And i do get about 3+ mpgs doing this. Could i have a severely lowered compression and this is some how filling that void? The car got almost 30 when it was new. Then over the years is has dropped with every sensor that failed and every mile i put on. I know the car is capable of this mileage but i have not had this in years i have tried the lucas and it did the same thing but at 4 times the cost. Anybody know what is in lucas gas additive. Anyway i figured i would get this criticism but i would like some insight to what is going on ? How long did you run the 2 stroke oil before fouling you plugs ? And another tid bit the car cranks faster no more knocking and stalls less. Im thinking compression and possible the equivalent to octane booster to help the knocking. Thanks again for any real tips

Originally Posted By: yeti
OP -- you get an increase of 4-5 mpg. by using 4 oz.of non detergent oil to 16 gal. of gas ? amazing.

My neighbors Windstar burns about a quart every 500 miles. His gas mileage must be out of this world!

Several forum members use tc-w3 two stroke oil in fuel and there are several good threads on this. One claimed benefit is a possible 1-2 mpg increase in mileage. I have not been able to verify that, and consider any mileage gain a side benefit (I use it just to lube the upper cylinder). It is cheaper than Lucas UCL plus adds some solvency to potentially reduce upper cylinder deposits, which Lucas doesn't contain.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
2-stroke, in moderation, probably wouldn't hurt anything-but motor oil, in gasoline with a catalytic converter?? As our obnoxious Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco would say-Child, please! The troll is out from under the bridge, paging the Brothers Grimm!

LOL
35.gif

Originally Posted By: pidster
... And you are probably ruining your injectors and clogging up your filter slowly....

Someone educate me: How does adding a small amount of oil to the gasoline ruin fuel injectors?

I do second other responses above saying if you must put oil in your gasoline then use TC-W3 oil and not ND engine oil.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Originally Posted By: pidster
... And you are probably ruining your injectors and clogging up your filter slowly....

Someone educate me: How does adding a small amount of oil to the gasoline ruin fuel injectors?

I do second other responses above saying if you must put oil in your gasoline then use TC-W3 oil and not ND engine oil.

Your not going to ruin anything if you stick to tc-w3 2 cycle and stay close to recommended ratios. Its ashless and designed to burn off during the combustion process. Therefore it poses no danger to injectors, sensors, or the cat. It typically also has some solvency to not only prevent deposit formation, but reduce/eliminate (over time) existing deposits. This is part of the reason why many of use who use it choose to do so (plus the upper cylinder lubrication to, at a minimum, offset the alcohol content of blended gas which has no lubrication properties).

-Spyder

So using two stroke oil would be better than non detergent? and it will cause fewer problems in the long run. So you also said it can restore the loss of lubrication properties of alcohol? But why does it create better mileage? What properties would oil in fuel have on a 4 stroke motor running a high ethanol gas mix that is all i have in my area. thanks for the ideas

Originally Posted By: gsxrman2007
So using two stroke oil would be better than non detergent? and it will cause fewer problems in the long run. So you also said it can restore the loss of lubrication properties of alcohol? But why does it create better mileage? What properties would oil in fuel have on a 4 stroke motor running a high ethanol gas mix that is all i have in my area. thanks for the ideas

TCW3 oil is designed to be mixed with gas and act as a lubricant in 2 cycle water cooled engines, engine oil, even non-detergent is not the same thing. It is the better choice for mixing with gas, be sure it is TCW3 and not Two Cycle Oil. TCW3 is ashless oil and that's what you want in a water cooled engine.

Can create better mpgs? Yes, in [some cases] by providing a better ring seal, increasing compression slightly, and helping the engine to produce more power. Does it happen in every situation? No. Some engines run perfectly and won't run any more efficiently or produce more power. Other engines, especially old worn engines stand the most to gain and need all the help they can get. Please note overdosing an engine with TCW3 will foul plugs and reduce power! MMO is a bit more forgiving of overdosing.

TCW3 would help a new engine by protecting the cyl walls and the rings providing lubrication that alcohol is robbing. Sort of a preventative medicine so to speak. Is it needed? No, engines last a very long time w/o the use of it.

Opinions vary on this topic, that's mine. I use MMO and TCW3 as a UCL, and plan on continuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back