Bosch Distance Plus cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this filter has been cut open in the past. I ran across this site on Google. I though I would post it up here. Are these filters still $13.00 at Pep Boys? If so, is this filter $4.00 bettter then the Fram Extended Guard?

Bosch Distance Plus

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I pay under $2.00 for my group 7 filters at my shop they are purolators good filters...
$13.00 for a filter? NOPE!

Well, you wouldn't use a filter like that for anything under long months with very high mileage. I'd say that getting a year out of it wouldn't be too hard at all, assuming you're not putt-putting it along. Note that they expound ..hammer ..the holding capacity.

Thanks for posting this. I appreciate the effort and time. Nice pics too. Looks like a great filter. It's just pricey! $8-9 they'd probably sell more.

I ran it for a 6 month oil change cycle on my 2008 Yaris (warranty requirements call for 6 mo 5,000 mile oil & filter change). I can say that it is a excellent filter but, I can't really justify the $13 price. The shell is nice and thick also like a NAPA Gold/Wix or Mobil 1. Shocker is the Distance Plus is almost three times the cost of the NAPA Gold (that was on sale) that I just put on at last last oil change. I know someone compared (cut open) a Pure 1 & a Distance Plus and the media was different, the Distance Plus was a lighter yellow and thicker media.

To conclude the Bosch Distance Plus is a winner but, I would like to see it $4 or $5 cheaper though.

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
Looks like a great filter. It's just pricey! $8-9 they'd probably sell more.

It would compete with PureOne. Maybe it's better stated to say that it looks like a great deal of value for a buck or two more than their other product. Whether you can manage to take advantage of either is always debatable ..but for $1-$2 more? Sure.

At my AA they carried no common part numbers. I asked for x'ref for all the usual suspects. FL1A, PH16, FL400S, etc. They didn't have one of them. Rethinking it, I should have just pulled a couple down and seen what thread was stamped on the base plate. I suspect that they only carried the Euro stuff with the high bypass valve settings.

I also want to mention the unique clear box. Could it be anti theft to prevent someone from switching it with a cheaper filter? Imagine paying $13 and getting home and finding an orange can of death because you didn't look in the box.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
At a casual glance it looks identical to a Pure One, except for the color of the canister. Maybe the media is different?

It has synthetic media, I assume it has a metal mesh backing on the media like a donaldson or amsoil glass media. The case is also thicker than your tin can feeling Pure One.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mimelio
I ran it for a 6 month oil change cycle on my 2008 Yaris (warranty requirements call for 6 mo 5,000 mile oil & filter change). ...
How did you get that to fit? NO Bosch or purolator classic fit my 08 Yaris - they only screw on 1 - 1/2 turns before contacting the gasket - which is not enough and 50% of the oil will bypass the filter !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
NO Bosch or purolator classic fit my 08 Yaris - they only screw on 1 - 1/2 turns before contacting the gasket - which is not enough and 50% of the oil will bypass the filter !

What filter part number are you trying to fit? Your Yaris uses the same standard L14476/3311-style filter that smaller Toyotas have used for about two decades.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
At a casual glance it looks identical to a Pure One, except for the color of the canister. Maybe the media is different?

It has synthetic media, I assume it has a metal mesh backing on the media like a donaldson or amsoil glass media.....
Nope. No metal mesh backing but says advanced synthetic fibers. Thicker can, base and greater holding capacity.http://www.boschautoparts.com/filters/Pages/DistancePlusOilFilters.aspx JMO but I'd say BDP one year 12-15k, whereas P1 7.5-10k. I wouldn't get my money's worth out of the BDP, so I'll stick with the P1. BDP is a good filter though IMO, but $13 means getting miles to get the cost benefit.

Another thread showing the comparison display in Advance. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1992900

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How did you get that to fit? NO Bosch or purolator classic fit my 08 Yaris - they only screw on 1 - 1/2 turns before contacting the gasket - which is not enough and 50% of the oil will bypass the filter !

How is only screwing the filter on 1-1/2 turns to seat the gasket related to how the by-pass valve works?
21.gif

Are you talking spin-on filter here?

I think he's saying that the threads are too loose at that point. These aren't tapered pipe threads, however. They're flat threads/AN/JIC/etc. So, they're what they are with the first mesh.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I think he's saying that the threads are too loose at that point. These aren't tapered pipe threads, however. They're flat threads/AN/JIC/etc. So, they're what they are with the first mesh.

You're probably correct on what he's meaning to say ... but I highly doubt 50% of the oil is going to leak past the threads and bypass the media. Remember when the filter is tight on the seat, the threads are messed up tight ... even if it is 1-1/2 or 2 threads worth, it's still sealing. If there was any minuscule gap in the thread lash up, it's not going to be able to flow GPMs worth of flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back