Mobil1 0W-40, 6,034 miles, 2004 Subaru Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
UOA by Oil Analyzers Inc.

Driving conditions: Oil in use May – September; 7 mile daily commute each way; spirited driving with a few WOT’s here and there on days where I have a 30 minute drive. A trip to RI in May and to SC in July. Most of my consumption is on trips after driving on the Interstate.

Although TBN and oxidation were flagged, I’m pleased that the lead dropped to 0.
My last uoa is here . I recorded 1 quart of make-up oil, although I believe that I forgot to log a ½ quart addition somewhere. 24 oz added 2,247 miles into OCI and 6 oz. added 3,877 miles. I think I will keep my OCI’s at 6k, instead of pushing to 7-8k, regardless of what I use.

Comments: Base number is below acceptable minimum; Infared results indicate OXIDATION is SIGNIFICANTLY HIGH; Lube mixing possible due to change in additive levels; Lubricant and oil filter change acknowledged.

Equipment make: Subaru
Equipment model: 2.5L Turbo
Oil use interval: 6,034 miles
Oil type & Grade: Mobil1 0W-40
Make-up oil added: 1 qts. (really about 1.5)
Miles on unit: 99,642
Air filter: Amsoil Ea panel filter
Oil filter: OEM Honeywell

Overall severity of report = 3 abnormal
M1, SSO; SSO;
Iron 7 11 11 (what high iron?)
55.gif

Chromium 0 0 0
Nickel 0 0 0
Aluminum 0 3 3
Copper 15 5 6
Lead 0 10 4
Tin 0 1 0
Cadmium 0 1 0
Silver 0 0 0
Silicon 8 10 11 (first time in single digits!)
Sodium 22 28 90
Potassium 3 2 2
Titanium 0 0 0
Molybdenum 123 2 1
Antimony 2 0 0
Manganese 0 4 0
Lithium 0 3 0
Boron 112 7 7
Magnesium 30 17 17
Calcium 2805 3497 3423
Barium 0 0 0
Phosphorus 880 654 677
Zinc 1061 717 755

Lube chg Y
Filter chg Y
Fuel Soot Water Vis @ 100C: 13.2 10.1 9.6
TBN 1.99 4.35 4.01
Oxidation 37 43 38
Nitration 27 32 27

Any comments?
35.gif

-Dennis

This is my first uoa since last September. At 60k miles, I got a new OEM turbo due to oil getting past the seals. That one lasted 20k miles and blew after 3k on Amsoil DEO. I got another OEM turbo (no more OEM TD-04 turbos!). The head tech at the dealership was surprised at the failure, especially since the oil filter screens were all clear. Ran dealer conventional for 700 miles and then used Red Line 5W-30 for 5k miles before switching to M1.

-Dennis

M1 0W-40 is generally a failry stout oil - I'm suprised by the TBN depletion with 1.5 quarts make-up!

Personally, in a turbo, I'd stick with a 40-weight, so I'd keep doing what you are doing, but I might be inclined to try Rotella T6 5W-40 to reduce the cost on short (6k) OCI's.

It would be interesting to see RT6 compared to this.

I'm sure the residual oil from the Red Line you used right before this oil is what raised oxidation number since Red Line typically has oxidation number of 150.

The TBN is surprisingly low. The sodium has not dropped to where it should be so combining this fact with the unusually low TBN makes me question whether you have a slight coolant leak into the oil. Potassium is low so if you know your coolant contains potassium, you can probably rule out their being a coolant leak.

Otherwise, nice report.

East to destroy oils, 0w they are. I say not too bad for a turbo 4 with 302 V8 power #s. No high iron BC the employed moly piston skirts, and no valve tappets - Plus 0w-40 is a Shell helix Ultra clone with the group III+ slack wax base stock. I dont know where to go from here if you want to change. We see now the M1 HM 10w-30 is now a blend >so< Back to Amsoil ATM 10w-30 or RL 10w-30?
{ As an aside, I'm trying to research if PPD are beneficial in AW and FM as well as doing the PPD thing. There is something slickery in 5w that not there in 10w GF-4 in general.}

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I say not too bad for a turbo 4 with 302 V8 power #s.

When the 2004 Forester XT first arrived, a couple of tuners (Cobb and Vishnu) doubted Subaru's 210 hp/235 tq claim. They both dyno'd one and said it was closer to ~230/~260 at the crank.

I think I'll be sticking with a 40 grade, unless I'm tempted to try PU Euro 5W-30 next winter. Might even run PU 5W-40 next spring after my current fill of free PU is done. Of course, I'm sure RT6 would work well as well.

19.gif

-Dennis

Forgot to add that I also drive on the beach. Maybe some of the sodium is coming from there. Historically, sodium was 10-19 with GC and Blackstone.

-Dennis

Looks good. Run it again to get a cleaner run. SSO has a very different chemistry that could impact the Tbn.

Especially after two runs of SSO back to back. An oil that uses an "ashless anti-wear system:.

Originally Posted By: JAG
I'm sure the residual oil from the Red Line you used right before this oil is what raised oxidation number since Red Line typically has oxidation number of 150.

I thought the previous was SSO?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: JAG

I thought the previous was SSO?

There were some OCI's where I didn't have a UOA done (see my second post).

SSO, SSO, DEO, conventional, Red Line.

-Dennis

Thanks - went right by that. Sorry.

Too bad you didn't/couldn't get a UOA with DEO. That would be a good comparison. AFL or DEO 5W-40 vs. M1 0W-40 would be more interesting. I mean you went from 10to 13 cSt here.....

The DEO probably would've been shot from the turbo failure. I didn't do a uoa since it failed on the way down to SC and I mixed with a couple of quarts of GTX make-up oil.

-Dennis

I'm still not clear why his TBN is so low after just 6000 miles. I'm curious because I have the same oil in my V6 Explorer with 5000 miles on the OC and wasn't planning to change it until 7500 miles.

You'll be fine. A v6 explorer is not a high specific output turbo 2.5 that had prev run a high ester base oil. How long does it take you to accumulate 5K? 1/2 a year or less = absolutely no problem across a mild climate OCI.

Last edited:
I'm at 5k now after 6 months. I was going to change it again right before we go to Arkansas for Christmas. Might have 6k on it by them, maybe 7k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back