New bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
After spending $650 on a bike that was contorting me in ways that I can't live with, I found this beauty for $600 on craigslist - it was a garage queen 2005 LeMond Reno that was only ridden on a AIDS charity ride. It needed a tune up, a few squirts of Boeshield T9 and Penetro 90, and a new tire all of which I did myself and she's ready to hit the road.

IMG_0039.jpg

Yep. I had some intimate time with her on a shop stand. New bar tape, trued the wheels, lubed the chain and control cables, adjusted and realigned the brakes and put on a new Conti tire on the rear which replaced the OEM Bontrager/Cheng Shin that got skinned by a misaligned brake. REI didn't have Michelins in stock...
frown.gif

Next project is swapping out the toe clips for Shimano SPD/platform pedals. The goal here to have a weekend warrior that I can also commute to the local park and ride 2 days a week.

Unfortunately ,most places here in Fl., are not bycicle friendly ,I think we're up to about two per week in the Tampa Bay area which has alot of urban sprawl.The regulated paths are the best option for recreation,but for commuting......riding like a NY City bike messenger works best.

Nice find and buy.

I drive a car and like to bike on the road and have a beater mtn bike. I wish it was safer out there for biking on the street.......sadly it could be a lot better for mtn and road riding out there.

Took it out for a ride to the park and ride for my morning commute into SF for school - I need to find a cross strap for my Timbuk2 laptop messenger bag - I had a few scary moments. Otherwise, the ride was an easy downhill run.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Next project is swapping out the toe clips for Shimano SPD/platform pedals. The goal here to have a weekend warrior that I can also commute to the local park and ride 2 days a week.

Sweet find.
thumbsup2.gif

I guess the original owner was deathly afraid of clipless pedals??
21.gif

It's odd that a ride of that caliber has toe clips and straps nowadays, unless it came fully assembled from the dealer that way, and he just did not opt to spend the extra coin on the SPDs.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Sweet find.
thumbsup2.gif

21.gif

It's odd that a ride of that caliber has toe clips and straps nowadays, unless it came fully assembled from the dealer that way, and he just did not opt to spend the extra coin on the SPDs.

The PO rode the bike in her trusty Asics - and she has done a charity ride on this bike before it was mothballed.

I'm putting the toe clips on the project Diamondback beater - which is what I should be riding as a commuter. I just need to find a cheap rear wheel+cassette and some cheap shifters+levers, grips and chain.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Sweet find.
thumbsup2.gif

21.gif

high end bikes don't come from the factory w/ pedals at all, it's up the the purchaser to pick what they want. or just move over the pedals from their present bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back