DOT 4 Plus Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is DOT 4 Plus brake fluid the same as DOT 5.1? The ML320 calls for DOT 4 Plus and I'm wondering if the Amsoil Series 600 DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid is compatible.

Since there is no DOT 4+ designation for brake fluid, I'm guessing that ML320 means DOT 4 or better (DOT 5.1).

Just looking at the AMSOIL web site, their DOT 4 Racing brake fluid should be fine if you can use a DOT 4 fluid. If not, DOT 5.1 is the next step up. (DOT 5 is silicone-based and not recommended for cars with ABS systems.)

The "DOT" system isn't linear. Meaning 5 is not better than 4. If you need DOT4, don't run DOT5. If you want a high quality DOT4, they make that; for example, I recommend Motul RBF600. Lots of people like ATE Superblue or it's non-blue counterpart.

robert

Dot 4 and 4+ are not the same as DOT 5.

4 and 4+ are roughly the same except that 4+ has higher dry/wet boiling points.

now here is the fun part, DOT 5.1 is pretty much the same as 3,4 and 4+ all glycol based where the straight 5 is a silicone.

3, 4, 4+ and 5.1 are all able to be used in the same system.

Valvoline used to have a great Dot 4 for cheap (their Synpower brake fluid) but it has been replaced with a good DOT4 which is now even less expensive.

Ive always liked ATE with their TYP200 and Super Blue.

I'm not asking about DOT 5. I'm aware that DOT 5 is a silicon based fluid and it is not compatible with non-silicon based fluids. I understand DOT 5.1 is supposed to be a non-silicon based fluid with the same wet and dry boiling points as DOT 5. However, WRT DOT 4 Plus, if you google it, there are a number of references that imply it is another name for DOT 5.1, which is why I posted. MB states that the brake fluid for the ML should be DOT 4 Plus (not DOT 4), so I am wondering if anyone can point me to something "official" that indicates DOT 4 Plus and DOT 5.1 are in fact the same thing.

I ask about Amsoil brake fluid because while they are called DOT 3 and DOT 4, they both have higher boiling points than called for by DOT 3 and DOT 4. Their DOT 3 and DOT 4 exceed the levels DOT 4 and 5.1, respectively. Presumably there are other characteristics than just temperature that are behind the DOT 3 and DOT 4 designations or Amsoil would have given them the designations. I would be interested to hear what someone from Amsoil has to say about that.

Originally Posted By: bimmerdriver

I ask about Amsoil brake fluid because while they are called DOT 3 and DOT 4, they both have higher boiling points than called for by DOT 3 and DOT 4. Their DOT 3 and DOT 4 exceed the levels DOT 4 and 5.1, respectively. Presumably there are other characteristics than just temperature that are behind the DOT 3 and DOT 4 designations or Amsoil would have given them the designations. I would be interested to hear what someone from Amsoil has to say about that.

No actually not. It simply exceeds DOT 4 requirements. No other specs are claimed.

I can see where the confusion is coming from. Amsoil's big claim to fame of exceeding all the specs of the brake fluid is right if the temperatures you are trying to beat are dry boiling temps. But ah lass, they are not. they are the wet boiling temps of the fluid.

It's much easier to make a fluid with a high dry boiling point than a high wet one. So what manufacturers tend to do is just make those and say, "Wow, look at me and my 6000 degree boiling point for 5$ (Wilwood 570 is 573dry/313wet for $15)." The much more expensive and time consuming thing to do is make to do is make a brake fluid with a high dry and wet boiling point, one that doesn't absorb water and break down as quickly, like Castrol SRF (590dry/518wet) which is $75. So you can see, you generally get what you pay for. Business as usual.

Oh so...the main point is the cheaper fluid just passed the DOT 3 requirement for wet boiling point while advertising its amazing dry boiling point, and the second fluid went way beyond all of it... if you can boil that fluid, you drive a Bugatti Veyron with brakes of a Pinto on the Nurburgring.

I hate that "+" designation that is creeping into the world of gear oils and brake fluid. It's not real.

Originally Posted By: jtaylor
The much more expensive and time consuming thing to do is make to do is make a brake fluid with a high dry and wet boiling point, one that doesn't absorb water and break down as quickly, like Castrol SRF (590dry/518wet) which is $75.

WHERE have you seen it that "cheap"?!?

EVERY place I've seen it sold it is $85.00-$90.00/liter!!

BTW; The Motul RBF 600, Ate Blue/Gold, U.S. Brake Ultra HTX Racing, & Neo 610, all @ ~421*F WET boiling points are MUCH more reasonably priced than the 'liquid gold' SRF.
wink.gif

Quote:
Is DOT 4 Plus brake fluid the same as DOT 5.1?

Yes.

ATE brake fluid (say AH-tay) is one good choice. It is about $15/liter. You can use the Super Blue one time and the amber Typ 200 the next time so the color tells you when you've flushed enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220666163439&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=b2d1e41311d0a0aad3542544ff47d8a5&rvr_id=140309717837&ua=WXF%3F&itemid=220666163439%24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back