Competitor oil filters damaging GM engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ford has similar warnings about not using Motorcraft filters.

Yep. Some Town Cars were having bad luck with other filters not sealing properly, for whatever reason. For the last twenty plus years on my Ford vehicles, they've seen nothing except AC Delco, Motorcraft, and Wix for my peace of mind, and only the latter two since Canadian Walmarts discontinued AC Delcos many years ago.

I won't use an e-core. I guess that I'll just have to take my chances with either Purolator or Wix.

Here's what that link says. Anybody have access to GM Service Bulletin #10-06-01-003?

Quote:
Quality Issue with Competitor Oil Filters
Bulletin 10D-121
GM has recently seen an increase in engine damage caused by aftermarket filters that often don’t meet or exceed GM filter performance specifications (GM Service Bulletin #10-06-01-003). The filter failures have resulted in increased warranty expense and reduced customer satisfaction.
It should be explained to your customers that ACDelco oil filters are designed to the original-equipment specifications of his or her GM vehicle and there is a risk when using a filter that doesn’t meet those specifications.
ACDelco and General Motors have produced several reference items that address the issue and explain the importance of using ACDelco filters. Contact your WD or ACDelco Rep for information.

I haven't been able to locate that particular bulletin but I did find this one:

INFORMATION

Bulletin No.: 07-06-01-016B

Date: July 27, 2009

Subject: Information on Internal Engine Noise or Damage After Oil Filter Replacement

Models:
2010 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)
2010 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2009 and Prior Saab 9-7X

Supercede:
This bulletin is being updated to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-01-016A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Important
Engine damage that is the result of an incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filter is not a warrantable claim. The best way to avoid oil filter quality concerns is to purchase ACDelco(R) oil filters directly from GMSPO.

Oil filter misapplication may cause abnormal engine noise or internal damage. Always utilize the most recent parts information to ensure the correct part number filter is installed when replacing oil filters. Do not rely on physical dimensions alone. Counterfeit copies of name brand parts have been discovered in some aftermarket parts systems. Always ensure the parts you install are from a trusted source. Improper oil filter installation may result in catastrophic engine damage.

Refer to the appropriate Service Information (SI) installation instructions when replacing any oil filter and pay particular attention to procedures for proper cartridge filter element alignment. If the diagnostics in SI (Engine Mechanical) lead to the oil filter as the cause of the internal engine noise or damage, dealers should submit a field product report. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 02-00-89-002I (Information for Dealers on How to Submit a Field Product Report).

I'll see if I can come across the one in the original post.

"Counterfeit copies of name brand parts have been discovered in some aftermarket parts systems."

Wonderful
shocked2.gif

Quote:

"Counterfeit copies of name brand parts have been discovered in some aftermarket parts systems."

Yep, not altogether uncommon. Back in the 70's there were cardboard brake pads out there in ACDelco boxes. You could see the difference in the "ACDelco" if you compared 'em side by side, but at a glance, they looked genuine. Those pads lasted about 100 miles...
frown.gif

Here's a summary of 10-06-01-003.

2004-2010

Acadia; AURA; Enclave; Equinox; G6; LaCrosse; Malibu; OUTLOOK; Rendezvous; SRX; Terrain; Torrent; Traverse; VUE --Internal engine noise or damage after oil filter replacement

When diagnosing engine noises, check aftermarket oil filter cartridges for oil starvation

Do not perform warranty repairs when the damage was caused by an aftermarket oil filter

10-06-01-003

While on this topic, we had a 4.2 (I believe) Trail Blazer come in the other day... Was using a ton of oil - like a quart every 200 miles or so. We go to take a quick glance at it and the boss goes in to check AITN and some other electronic bulletins, then comes out and said something to the effect of GM says to try a "quality oil and filter to see if the problem goes away". He wanted to blame it on the Northland oil and Champ filter (Champion Labs) - he thinks they're junk and his Kendall/Wix combo could fix it.

Personally I think that there are some underlying issues (found out later there were), but what I'd like to know is if anyone knows what this bulletin actually said. Does anyone have access to it or know what I'm talking about? I wonder if he misread it or took it the wrong way. I find it really hard to believe that an oil filter could cause these problems unless it starved the engine to the point of damage.

So it sounds like that GM bulletin is talking about cartridge type filters, not screw on canisters. It's hard to imagine how a cartridge filter could cause "oil starvation."

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
So it sounds like that GM bulletin is talking about cartridge type filters, not screw on canisters. It's hard to imagine how a cartridge filter could cause "oil starvation."

Service Bulletin 07-06-01-016B also talks about counterfeit filters. I could see how they might not flow well if they are made out of junk media. A cartridge filter is really no different than a spin-on ... it's still the media that the oil must flow through.

Some of the ecotec cartridge filters are downright junk. They fall apart, or come out twisted after use.

A bunch of companies are making these parts cheap, because they have a high markup. They are running into problems with them.

Even the purolator cartridge filter looks like junk. The only one that looks decent is the DELCO filter, and even they have reduced the quality of the filter that they sell. They sell a much better Hengst unit in the pack that includes a new filter cap, but they sell a cheaper filter when you buy the filter alone.

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:

Yep, not altogether uncommon. Back in the 70's there were cardboard brake pads out there in ACDelco boxes. You could see the difference in the "ACDelco" if you compared 'em side by side, but at a glance, they looked genuine. Those pads lasted about 100 miles...
frown.gif

I remember those brake pads! There was another counterfit product sold at the time too. I think it was spark plugs.

The engine makers do not publish the specs for their oil filters. The oil filter companies reverse-engineer the OEM oil filter and either list one from their stock or make a new filter model for each engine.

If you use the filter spec'ed by the filter maker for your engine, and the filter causes damage, the filter maker is liable for the repairs--but you gott'a prove that the filter caused the damage. If you have a better idea and use a filter not listed for your engine, you're liable for the repairs to your engine.

Maybe some of those AC filters are counterfeit and used at factory. My new vehicle had a bad one the first time oil was changed. PF48 without an anti-drainback valve was installed at the factory.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I won't use an e-core. I guess that I'll just have to take my chances with either Purolator or Wix.

+1

Quote:
10-06-01-003A: Diagnostic Information on Internal Engine Noise or Damage After Oil Filter Replacement - (Jun 30, 2010)

Subject: Diagnostic Information on Internal Engine Noise or Damage After Oil Filter Replacement

Models: 2004-2006 Buick Rendezvous
2005-2008 Buick LaCrosse, Allure (Canada Only)
2008-2010 Buick Enclave
2010 Buick LaCrosse
2010 Cadillac SRX
2008-2010 Chevrolet Equinox, Malibu
2009-2010 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2010 GMC Acadia
2010 GMC Terrain
2007-2009 Pontiac G6
2008-2009 Pontiac Torrent
2007-2009 Saturn AURA
2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK
2008-2009 Saturn VUE
Equipped with 3.0L (RPO LF1) or 3.6L (RPO LLT or LY7) 6 Cylinder Engine

Attention: Oil filter misapplication may cause abnormal engine noise or internal damage. Always utilize the most recent parts information to ensure the correct part number filter is installed when replacing oil filters. Do not rely on physical dimensions alone. Counterfeit copies of name brand parts have been discovered in some aftermarket parts systems. Always ensure the parts you install are from a trusted source. Improper oil filter installation may result in catastrophic engine damage. Some aftermarket oil filters share the outside dimension of Factory Equipment and AC Delco service replacement filters. Though they look the same, these filters do not meet GM specification and function requirements. In recent warranty engine teardown reviews, it has been found that aftermarket filters have caused internal engine failures and/or noise due to the lack of lubrication.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the models and add additional pictures to help aid diagnosis. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-003 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back