Less then lethal defenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our insanely litigious society, and in many parts of the country with no castle doctrine and duty to retreat, the prospect of actually using a firearm to defend oneself imposes a litany of consequences.

Do any of you use any forms of non-lethal defense such as OC spray? There are some pretty cool new products on the market, such as Kimber's pepper blaster, spitfire pepper spray, and the Mace pepper gun. Other options include tasers and stun guns, but from my perspective, a good OC spray with a fairly decent capacity is a viable self defense tool.

I rarely carry my firearm on my person any longer but keep it with me in my vehicle. I recently bought some Vector OC spray. From my research, this product has the best of many worlds - uses advanced propellant so it's effective from -20 to 150F (many water based OC sprays will freeze, and most all others will release their propellant at temps above 120F, so you can't keep them in a vehicle), has the range needed, and is HOT. I walk a lot and this product is also effective against dogs and even bears.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
IMO vehicle carry is the most unsafe way to carry, and has the highest risk of loss - which gets firearms into the hands of unsavory people. I would guess that you are many times higher risk of getting a car stolen than you robbed of all posessions.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
IMO vehicle carry is the most unsafe way to carry, and has the highest risk of loss - which gets firearms into the hands of unsavory people. I would guess that you are many times higher risk of getting a car stolen than you robbed of all posessions.

I drive a Toyota Corolla. 1994 with a dented hood.
crackmeup2.gif

My gun rarely if ever stays in the car - I take it out when I'm home, and my vehicle is parked in our shop during the day. I'd never just leave it there for long periods of time.

Originally Posted By: 05ChevyI5
Bullet(s) to the leg/knee cap region. Non-lethal.

Better carry a tourniquet with you, there are some big pipes in the thigh...

If some scum bag breaks into my house or garage he's going out horizontal and cold courtesy of Mossberg.
In Ma if you use non lethal or wound they will own everything you have in a mickey mouse lawsuit in a kangaroo liberal court.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If some scum bag breaks into my house or garage he's going out horizontal and cold courtesy of Mossberg.
In Ma if you use non lethal or wound they will own everything you have in a mickey mouse lawsuit in a kangaroo liberal court.

The policemen who come in the shop are always telling us that if you shoot your gun at a criminal who tries to rob you, make sure there is only one person able to tell the story when the cops show up.

And if you shoot and kill the same person in MA, their family will do the same thing to you.

if a person can use the word "than" correctly, I would be more inclined to look favorably on that person's gun usage.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
if a person can use the word "than" correctly, I would be more inclined to look favorably on that person's gun usage.

smirk2.gif
Coming from the turd who can't even capitalize the first letter of his sentence.

If you're going to make nasty sarcastic, mean spirited comments that aren't in good fun (like mori did), leave them to yourself. Thanks.

You get sued and dragged through the mud either way in the liberal states with joke court systems.

If I'm ever put in a position to fire in self defense, you bet that I'll be the only witness left!

Cheaper to bury them when compared to paying out disability forever that they didn't earn/deserve.

This happened to a friend of mine about a year and a half ago--

Short story long, he was followed into his parking garage at work after allegedly accidently cutting off a guy in traffic on a moped. The guy on the moped had called his buddies to catch up with him, and attempted to yank my friend out of his car when he parked. Friend had his 1911 with him and had unholstered it when the guys tried to pull him out of the car. One guy jumped on his hood and started smashing the windshield, another began kicking his door in, the other tried to yank him out through the driver's side window. He was blocked in and could not escape.

He drew his pepper spray as a backup and got 2 guys, and smashed his way out of the parking garage. Safely out of harms way, he called 911. He was arrested for assault, the other guys call the police and say some guy attacked them with pepper spray. Turns out one of the guys attacking him was a lawyer. The other two were 2-strike criminals with rap sheets a yard long.

Police disarm him and suspend his Concealed Carry License. He goes to trial, and it is of course thrown out when evidence is presented. The judge says, "You should have just shot them all. You were fully rightful to defend yourself with deadly force in this situation." His license is reinstated, and the other police tell him also that he should have just shot them, or at least brandished his 1911 to scare them off. At most a Brandishing charge (which would never stick in this situation) is far less than an Assault charge.

Lesson learned.

Even so, I also carry pepper spray backup in case of dogs or the situation warrants it. Oh, and a Glock 26.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

And if you shoot and kill the same person in MA, their family will do the same thing to you.
Shoot the whole family or move out of MA.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I carry no defense of any kind, and never thought I needed any...

Well bless your heart. Care to give your name and address along with that admission? I do not know a thing about where you are but the corn-row thugs down here will kill you for a Kool Menthol. I'll take my chances in court.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The only way I see it,shoot to kill.

But you live in Texas - you can shoot fast food employees for screwing up your order, and have a legal defense!

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I carry no defense of any kind, and never thought I needed any...

Well bless your heart. Care to give your name and address along with that admission? I do not know a thing about where you are but the corn-row thugs down here will kill you for a Kool Menthol. I'll take my chances in court.

I laughed so hard I [censored] near couldn't breathe. I don't smoke anymore, but when I did I preferred Kools.

Seriously, though. I prefer real guns with real, deadly, projectiles. Y'all should move on down to the great state of Texas, where a man's home is his castle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back