What's the best oil for my bicycle chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 speed, eh? If it is a 15 speed you are required for warranty purposes to run teflon-based lubricants.

Otherwise I'd suggest White Lightning.

Don't forget the recommended dosage of MMO added to the water bottle - a good UCL is a must-have for older engines like we are using, and it cleans too!
43.gif

Last edited:
I ride a cheap $80 Walmart bike and I took a cheap paintbrush and swabbed some Super Tech 5w-30 conventional on the gears, chain, and wheel bearings and I couldnt be happier. Soooo much better and I have a lifetime supply of lube for only $2.37. If you dont care about your bike I recommend it. Cant think of a downside too bad if you use it for road purposes only. I wouldnt take it on the trails now. Ill never spray WD40 on my bike again though.

Ive never understood the obsessive debates some people get into over chain oil. Chains are very inexpensive and often times cost the same as a bottle of "top shelf", bicycle chain specific oil. $12 gets me a new chain if I need it.

I have had great success with simple ATF, which I have around anyway. I dont even use a seperate cleaner (like kerosene) anymore. My chains stretch before they become rusty or stiff/noisy using ATF (and an old toothbrush) as the lube/cleaner.

As long as you are using some kind of lube, you are miles ahead of most.

Quote:
Maybe the question will become "Which grease should I use..."

Thats over at the huffy bike owners forum.
33.gif

Last edited:
I am trying Amsoil MP HD on my chain and am happy with they way it is keeping stuff from magnetizing onto my chain.
Not sure how well it protects. But if it keeps junk off that's abrasive that's half the battle.
I am still in the process of the experiment.

Expensive -- but I do a lot of endurance mountain bike races that get the chain wet (river crossings) and dirty. This has been the best lube I have found yet, most if not all my chain issues have disappeared since using it. It smells like gear oil but creator says the formulation is different. I know this started as a joke thread but I felt like replying anyway :)
http://www.chain-l.com/

Last edited:
Just ordered some chain-l. Got great reviews on roadbikereview.com. Looking forward to trying it! Been using Dumonde Tech Lite.

Boeshield T9. Penetro 90 could also work.

If you want "dry" lube, White Lightning is great but I'm also thinking Liquid Wrench dry lube should also work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back