15 40w Motorcraft Oil For Old Fords

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1954 239 V8 original Ford. The engine had been rebuilt years ago but i don't know any specfics on what was done. Because of the lack of ZDDP in todays oils this was recommended as one of the better oils to use. I have also been told to add some Marvel Mystery oil during changes. Any thoughts on this?

That oil is exactly what I would use in an antique loosely clearanced engine like that. I wouldn't bother with the MMO.

Yes ZDDP is important but it won't matter in that engine, the valve spring pressures are low. Nevertheless, you get more than enough ZDDP with that oil anyway.

Delo 15w40 at WM is only 8.50 a gallon and would be a good choice as well.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
you have to know what the bearig materials are, detergent oils can kill certain bearing materials.
Not on that engine.

i have two of those old fords, save the mmo for the gas, not the oil. the flathead crowd likes 20w-50, but i have used 15w-40 in mine for years, warmed up the idle oil pressure is scarey on everyone i have ever seen, so depending on your intended use either 15w-40 or 20w-50 will suffice, brand of your convienence.
i use deere plus 50 because;
1) i have it on hand
2) it is a very good hdeo, competitively priced

Thanks all for the input. Changed the oil and filter this weekend. I'll keep you all posted on the results if any.
Thanks again!

you have to know what the bearig materials are, detergent oils can kill certain bearing materials.

No problem with detergent oil in a 1954 Ford V-8. The detergent oils had been out for years at that time. That was the first year of the overhead valve v-8 in Fords. My Dad got me one when I graduated from high school in 1954, and by 1959 I had 140,000 miles on it, and it still ran good, did not smoke or burn oil in a 2 0r 3 thousand mile OCI, and had never required a valve adjustment on its mechanical valve lifters.

This mileage was all on Sinclair straight 20weight oil, winter and summer. 80% of those miles were highway miles.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick

No problem with detergent oil in a 1954 Ford V-8. The detergent oils had been out for years at that time. That was the first year of the overhead valve v-8 in Fords. My Dad got me one when I graduated from high school in 1954, and by 1959 I had 140,000 miles on it, and it still ran good, did not smoke or burn oil in a 2 0r 3 thousand mile OCI, and had never required a valve adjustment on its mechanical valve lifters.

This mileage was all on Sinclair straight 20weight oil, winter and summer. 80% of those miles were highway miles.

Nick: I'm with you on the viscosity thing. If you look at the original literature, you will likely see a 30 grade recommended for the summer season. That recommendation is still valid, I think. Obviously a modern multigrade with that 30 grade 100c viscosity will serve and eliminate the change to a winter grade 10 or 20.

As to ZDDP, well, in '54 it wasn't a universal additive. I wonder if it was even factored into the OE recommendations. Still, it's nice to have and I would certainly want an SL level of the stuff... which does come in a HDEO. If it was me, I'd run a 10W30 but I suppose for a collector car a 15W40 will do. Certainly easier to find.

Jim, back in the 50's. in the days of single grade motor oil, most people I knew used the 20W exclusively until their engines began to use oil, then they changed over to 30W. My 1954 Ford, even with 140,000 miles on it, never used enough oil to have to add to in 2 or 3,000 miles. Probably because most of these miles were highway miles and my car had the old fashioned overdrive, which I would like to have today.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Jim, back in the 50's. in the days of single grade motor oil, most people I knew used the 20W exclusively until their engines began to use oil, then they changed over to 30W. My 1954 Ford, even with 140,000 miles on it, never used enough oil to have to add to in 2 or 3,000 miles. Probably because most of these miles were highway miles and my car had the old fashioned overdrive, which I would like to have today.

True. I have a couple of old Motors Manuals ('50-'53) and for Ford from '35-'49, it recommends grade 30 above 32F, 20W above 10F and 10W above -10F. From '49, it lists Grade 20 for 32F and above and grade 10 for +10F and 10W for -10F and above. So by run a 40 grade, you are one or two steps above the factory recommendations. Oils have changed a lot since then but the one useful constant from back then is viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back