Beginning cycling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not "beginning"... I've been able to ride a bike for over 30 years now...

As part of my 'recovery' from an auto accident last December, I've started bicycling. So far, I ridden enough to have the ability to cover 8 miles in 30 minutes.

In my area, there are quite a few bicycle paths that are mostly level to gently rolling.

I'd rather bike than run or jog, as I have flat feet and use custom made orthotics.

I'm 6' 3" tall, 200#, and am riding an older Raleigh road bike with a 23" frame. This bike about 20 years old, but probably had only been ridden less than 200 miles total when it was given to me.

It still has the original tires (no joke), which I need to replace ASAP. I plan on getting a new bike sometime later this year.

I'm looking for some sort of advice or guidance as to how I need to develop this into a regular activity. How should I measure progress, and set goals? Of course, I am in an area where there are about 4 months out of the year where daily riding just isn't possible.

Any suggestions or recommendations to some helpful online resources would be appreciated.

(Suggestions on tires would be welcome as well...)

Last edited:
I can't help you with goals for riding or measuring progress, but I would recommend tires with a center rib but have some tread on the sides. Get the tires at a bike store too, you don't need to spend $50 per tire but $8 tires at walmart aren't what you want either.

I am 62, had open heart surgery 5 years ago and ride with some regularity. I am NOT an expert but will share what I do with my bike. First, I bought a Trek hybrid. This has an upright sitting position, 27 gears, wider tires than a strictly road bike but not as wide as a mountain bike. It allows me to ride on the road or on gravel bike paths with ease.

In 5 years, I have put about 2500 miles on the bike. I generally ride about once or twice a week on the road, trying to do about 15 miles each ride in about an hour on gently rollong rads. I also spend a LOT of time on the bike and the elliptical at the gym, going in 5-6 times a week.

For your health, you want to get your heart rate at 60-80% of your maximum, staying at the lower end until you get in shape. Your max heart rate is 220-your age. As I am 62, my max is 158 bpm. 60% is about 95 bpm and 80% about 126 bpm.

To purchase a new bike, plan on spending about $500-600 minimum to get quality. I am a fan of Trek but any good bike shop will have other good brands such as Specialized. Have them measure your leg and fit the bike to you. I do believe that a hybrid bike is best for most folks who just want to enjoy the simple pleasures of biking.

I'm an old guy wuss, used to MTB in college on a nice bike, etc. Wife dragged home a schwinn "comfort bike" from a yardsale. Has a MTB frame, less aggressive tires, upright handlebars, front suspension fork. Like it a lot. Later found Schwinn/ Pacific Bicycles (the Chinese side of the ocean
lol.gif
) is now a walmart brand.

Bike nashbar has a huge tire variety.

I used to do a like of biking, riding to work, etc. Not so much now because I work 30 miles from home. But, I found having an older bike that I didn't worry about being stolen or left in the rain helped me to use it a lot. A modern, fancy, lightweight bike is fun to ride, but if you are worried about leaving it someplace you probably won't ride to the store or to the library. If you just ride for pleasure and won't be leaving the bike anyplace I can second the hybrid style with its more upright position, yet decently lightweight for performance on roads and well-packed trails. Around here a great time to buy is the fall or winter when the biking season is ending and the stores have sales.

To me, some of the most important things about road cycling are:

Do a pre-ride check before every ride to make sure everything is working as it should.
Always wear your helmet.
Get a mirror for your helmet so you can see approaching vehicles. I am convinced that my mirror has saved my butt from serious injury.
Don't remove stock reflectors from the bike.
Get a red blinky light for the seatpost, so folks behind you can see you better.
Wear a Hi-Vis yellow jersey when on the road.
Carry a spare tube, pump (or CO2 inflators), and tire levers in case of a flat.
Cycle as far to the right as is practicable.
Most dogs are not biters. Spray repeat offenders with a good squirt from your water bottle. It startles them long enough for you to get away from them safely.

Above all, make sure that you are having fun. Don't worry too much about setting goals and tracking progress. That takes much of the fun out of cycling (for me).

I went through a period where I worked up to a goal of a 60 mile ride a long time ago. It was fun. A little longer each time. You learn as you go. As I remember, some of the practical lessons were: biking shorts (no underwear), kept the laces on my shoes a little loose, sun screen on the back of the neck, a little baby powder on the buns. All made for a more pleasant ride. Good luck, enjoy.

Please, not just for your sake but for those that love you, always always always ALWAYS wear a good quality bicycle helmet & gloves, outfit the bicycle with as many bright blinking LED lights & reflectors as you can & follow the rules of the road.

I've been hit by 5 cars in the past 10 years and I've been lucky enough to walk away from every single one - and I'm a careful, legal cyclist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back