Honda civic rated most reliable car today?? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is an article By Tom and Ray Magliozzi, Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers ! They are as much comics as mechanics !

However, the Honda Civic is a reliable car. My son has one with 140,000 miles. Did a timing belt replacement (preventative), coolant replacement (preventative), front struts, and a couple of brake pads.

Last edited:
we have a 1999 accord and it has never broken down. preventative maintenance only. nearing 200k miles.

Originally Posted By: lairdwd
Shows why to *NEVER* trust the mainstream media.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1520/10-cars-mechanics-hate/

One of the most reliable cars available today. The Civic rarely seems to break, and when it does, its problems are easy to diagnose. Original Equipment Manufacturer, aka OEM, parts are both affordable and easy to get

Are you serious? Tell us why the Honda Civic IS NOT reliable in your view.

Let me guess, the MSM is full of [censored] when they conclude that the Toyota Corolla is also one of the, if not the most reliable cars ever made.

Here is another article:

The 10 most reliable cars according to Warranty Direct:

1 - Honda Accord - A classy package, well put together and feels more special than the average family car. Superb engines and value for money. 2 - Subaru Forester - Not quite an off roader, much more than an estate with a sporty edge, making it the perfect combination. Great all round buy. 3 - Mazda MX-5 - Blueprint for the modern roadster with sweet handling and engines to match. Extremely easy to live with. 4 - Mitsubishi Carisma - Despite the name, not that interesting to look at or drive, but that’s not the point. Here is a no-nonsense hatchback that won’t let you down. 5 - Toyota Yaris - Superminis don’t come better. Bags of room and perky engines. Probably the best small car buy. 6 - Honda Civic - Solid build quality and good engines are just part of the appeal, the Civic is one of the most spacious small cars around. Great value. 7 - Nissan Almera - A dull package, but that’s no reason to dismiss the Almera which is practical and perfect for the smaller family who need a big boot and utter reliability. 8 - Honda CR-V - Proof that you don’t need an XXXL 4x4. Here is a four-wheel drive estate that is flexible, easy to drive and own. 9 - Toyota RAV4 - So few four-wheel drives are fun to drive. This car is suitably sporty, but very practical. Expensive used buy but worth it. 10 - Nissan Micra - The driving school favourite. Tough, fairly roomy, but with its light controls is easy to steer around town.

ALL is here:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/5657/

As the owner of both a 2001 Honda Civic and a 2002 Honda Civic, neither of which have needed anything other than routine maintenance, I would have to agree. Also, the newer Civics now have timing chains so you don't even need to get the timing belt changed anymore.

The current Civic is a decent car, I got a 2007 Civic EX and its been trouble free since we bought it brand new. Wife has a 2006 Accord SE and it also has been trouble free, just regular maintenance for both cars but I do have to admit that Hondas are boring cars to own and drive..... basically a point A to point B type of car.

Our old 1998 Civic was given to my nephew when we bought our 2007 Civic and today he still has it and its approaching 250K miles and the only thing that I replaced was a cracked exhaust manifold, oxygen sensor, and driver's window motor. Besides the necessary T-belt/WP the car only got regular scheduled maintenance. Still has original A/C, radiator, struts/shocks, CV boots, alternator, clutch/trans....etc,etc.

Similarly, my mother-in-law has a 2002 Civic EX sedan with 75K miles on it that hasn't needed anything but routine maintenance. I've been changing her oil every 4K - 5K with whatever dino or blend I can get cheap. 3.5 quarts go in, 3.5 quarts come out; it doesn't burn an ounce. I did a 4x drain/fill of the trans fluid using Z1 around 72K. It resulted in a slight improvement in shift quality but the fluid that came out was still pretty red. While not necessary, I put new plugs it at the same time. I haven't even had to replace the battery yet. I get it tested annually and it's just fine. We're going to get the struts on all four corners replaced in a couple weeks and probably do the lower control arm bushings at the same time. She'll have had the car 9 years next month. Pretty good if you ask me.

I agree Hondas are boring. Now my VW OTOH is a thrill. Turn the key, and a world of possibilities open up. What warning lights will come on? Will the glove box door fall off? Will the power windows shatter when you roll them down? Hondas are boring. Wake up, drive to work without incident, come home. Repeat for 15 years.

You guys need to read the mechanical forums. One guy who is a honda tech basically said the civic's were POS. Cracked blocks, leaky racks, transmission problems. Honda is also well known for over sensitive emissions systems, over engineered, non user accessable vehicles.

With all the quality problems being self reported by Honda and Toyota today, how many do you think are *not* reported?

In the below thread, mopar_monkey is a service tech at a honda dealership. Read what he has to say:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1936697

Last edited:
lol.gif
whistle.gif
Some of the stories I've heard from someone that worked at the factory where Civics are made near here don't sound too good.

Originally Posted By: lairdwd
You guys need to read the mechanical forums.

Why? When I maintain my mother-in-law's 9-year old Civic EX with 75K miles and nothing at all has gone wrong and there's no signs anything will, why waste my time reading about other people's misfortune? I'd rather spend my time reading about something that does relate to me. I'm sure other Civic owners with similar experience will agree.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
I agree Hondas are boring. Now my VW OTOH is a thrill. Turn the key, and a world of possibilities open up. What warning lights will come on? Will the glove box door fall off? Will the power windows shatter when you roll them down? Hondas are boring. Wake up, drive to work without incident, come home. Repeat for 15 years.

Hilarious...and true

My family owned a shop from the late 30's until a couple of years ago. The place did a very brisk business and we had a lot of customers with Hondas. I would have to agree that I found them to be quite above average in reliability. We mostly saw them for routine maintenance issues. We loved customers that bought from Mitsubishi and GM. We tended to see them a lot more often. :)

I can tell you from personal experience that the Chevy Cavalier is the most reliable small car out there. Still have the 2002 Cav (son's car now), which has never seen the shop for anything. Normal maintenance only (brakes, battery in the past 8 years). I've owned 3 during the past 25 years, and the only major problems were a power rack on the 1984 and an alternator / water pump on the 1993. All jobs were easy for a DIY-er. I don't see how a Honda can be better than that (with the exception of the power rack).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back