Synthetic oil for Camry Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2007 Camry Hybrid with about 85k on it, and the oil specification in the manual is either 0w-20 or 5w-20. Oil change for the first 30k were done at the dealer; they used 5w-30 dino.

When I found out the dealer was using an oil grade that was different from the manufacturer's spec, I started doing my own oil change with synthetic 0w-20 or 5w-20, depending on which oil was on sale.

I've never had any issue with this car, other than it shaking really violently for one second after a cold start at around 15k, when it had the 5w-30 that the dealer put in.

What is a good oil for a Camry Hybrid, given that the engine shuts off and turns on quite frequently? I've been changing with synthetic oil every 4k because I notice the engine oil (dark brown on dip stick, but black when poured into a milk jug) was noticeably darker than brand new oil (almost clear).

Sorry, if my question is stupid. I'm a car novice.

Welcome to Bitog!

It sounds like your local Toyota dealer is like the VW dealers in the US. They just put in whatever bulk dino oil into the cars.

The color of the oil doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the oil. I believe the 07 Toyota's have a 5,000 mile/6 month oil change intervals. I would just stick with that. I would stick with a 0W-20 synthetic, because of the stopping and starting of the engine.

You can choose from any of the major 0W-20 oils on the market. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower. Even the Toyota branded oil from the dealer is very good.

Hope this helps.

Dark oil is a sign that your oil is doing what it is supposed to do...clean the engine so no worries there unless you want to get an oil analysis to check wear #'s out. There are not a lot of 0w20's, AMSOIL makes a great one though. Any synthetic 5w20 will work in your climate though....stick with the name brands. They should all serve you well for longer Drains, do your regular 4k on the first one to clean it out, then you should be able to make longer intervals especially if you do mostly Freeway driving. If you are just making short trips here and there just use conventional oil, Havoline is excellent and Pennz.is too. Just pick whatever and make sure it's 0w/5w/20

Oh and welcome!
10.gif

Any name brand 0w-20 should get the job done. If possible try to get a deal on a case or two of toyota 0w-20 its been having great results around here.

Did you mean 4k km or 4k mi?

I'd choose a brand-named non-synthetic oil like pennzoil (the one in the yellow bottle) 5W-20 and change it every 10k km, personally. With something more exotic like Amsoil, more like 15k-20k km.

I doubt the shuttering has anything to do with the oil.

I've used mainly 5w-20 dino (Citgo blend) purchased on sale with PureOne filters every 5k miles. Have done all o/c's myself. See my oil analysis posted in that forum (I think it's on pg 2 by now). 70k miles now, runs like new.

I always prefill the filter before installing...bet the dealers don't do that. It's called for in the manual.

5w-30 won't damage your engine, I've used it and the mpg was spot-on.

Have a look at Castrol Edge 0W20, some of the best specs you'll find in an oil for a Hybrid engine that sees frequent stops and starts.

I'm using it now in my Jeep after trying M1 0W20, PP 5W20, Amsoil 0W20, PYB 5W20. To quote my wife, "The Jeep is the quietest its ever been, what did you do to it". I'm very pleased with it, check out the VOA section.

Toyota 0W20 has some good specs too.

I'm in the US, so I meant miles. I change my oil about every 4,000 miles.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

For 0W-20, I can only locate Mobile 1 and Valvoline Synpower. I'm probably going with 0w-20 Valvoline Synpower and register my car for their 300,000 mile engine warranty. I've used Mobil 1 0W-20 about three times and was not too impress. There seems to be some burn off when I use Mobil 1 0W-20. I last used M1 over the summer and saw a loss of about 1/4 quart. I only see it when I use Mobil 1 0W-20.

I've been reading this forum for about a year now and find it very enjoyable and informative. I work in the auto industry, but relative to you guys, I'm a mechanical neophyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back