Too much oil in the crankcase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
i find it hard to beleive that an engine is sensative to 1/4qt extra because you'll never get 100% of the oil out so the total crankcase volume could easily vary by 1/4qt just due to the oil stuck to the parts.

The max level for a Mercedes engine may not be the same max level of another manufacturer.

Maybe Mercedes designed their max level to be the one not to go above compare to the level suitable for the recommended OCI.

Therefore, as some Mercedes owners said, being 1 - 1/2 quart low to the max can be looked at the max level shown on another car.

Originally Posted By: thomasew
I did a change last weekend on my GM 4.3 V6 pickup. The manual calls for 4.5 quarts. I noticed that the level on the dip stick is approximately 1/4 inch higher than the MAX line. Is that enough to cause a problem, or should I drain a little out? thanks

Don't worry at all. My my has a 2003 Malibu V6 with a 4.5/4.6 (sources differ) quart capacity and I've been using a slightly oversized filter and putting in an even 5 quarts for around 50,000 miles now and there are no issues at all. It ends up being about 1/4-1/2 of an inch over the full mark. There is some wiggle room in most cars, just don't go too far or you'll end up with aeration.

mine calls for 4.5, i put in 5. doesnt aerate it and after a full OCI it burns maybe 1/2qt or so which is pretty good if you ask me.

some cars just have more wiggle room, i guess mercedes dont

1996 Buick Roadmaster, LT1 engine

I put it the amount stated in the manual and it reads slightly high, I would guess maybe 1/4 quart high.

When I got it from the PO, it too was reading high. Maybe the dipstick is not accurate.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
As long as no part of the crank is churning through the oil in the sump, there is no problem.

Exactly. This is all that matters. If the crank is whipping the oil you have a very serious problem.

Yes, overfilling is warned against in manuals, for sure.

But they mean WAY overfilling.

What's too much?
1/2 qt over in an engine is about the most I'd be comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back