Best ATF for Ford Ranger manual tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Ranger just hit 12000km. Manual tranny calls for ATF and though I know many of you will recommend things like redline MTL (I know how good the stuff is, used it in other vehicles) I am still under warranty and would like to use a Mercon rated ATF as the manual calls for, preferably synthetic, now that things are all broken in. What would you guys recommend? What have you manual trans Ford owners used? Any advice/experiences welcome.

Thanks

I used Mobil 1 Syn ATF. I would also look at Amsoil ATF Universial. It will be a little expensive, but worth it. I would highly recommend using a quality - rated synthetic ATF. Sounds like you are already on the right path.

Actually it calls for MerconV, the jury on the Ranger forums are still out on whether you should substitute Mercon for it because of the changes to the synchronizers on the M5ODR1-HD transmission. The older ones that called for Mercon, Irving's Transflo was about the best I came accros for shift quality.

My sons 91 Ranger 5 speed has had M1 ATF in it. Truck now has 345K. As for best,several are very good. Amsoil comes to mind.

My '00 worked well with Mobil1 ATF (circa 2003), Amsoil Universal ATF (circa 2006), and best with MTF.

I tried the MTF in my '09 after about 800 miles and it was very notchy. Don't think the new synchros liked it. Dumped it in about 50 miles for Mobil1 ATF and that's pretty good, but the factory fill was still the best.

Last edited:
Not too many full synthetic Mercon-V's around. Even Valvoline doesn't mention full-synth on their MerconV's anymore.

So, the full synth Dex/Merc will work just fine.
In a manual transmission, I prefer the simpler spec fluids over the HFM'd universal/multivehicle ATFs, and why I listed double Redline and Amsoil products.
I also like to use full synth Type-F ATF in manuals too.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/art.aspx

Ams/RL MTF/MTL could be too thick for a northern climate.

Honda MTF VOA shows the latest at 7.5cst(to improve MPG/shift compared to their previous MT fluids).

And, I still like the RP Synchromax for those manuals requiring ATF.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Ams/RL MTF/MTL could be too thick for a northern climate.

Beat me to it!

It has to get below zero (F) up there multiple times during the winter season!

I'm in a more temperate climate, and even so, plan on going to D4 once the fall is done.
wink.gif

A drain and flush about now is good for getting the particulate matter out of the tranny. A real good idea.
ATF is not a real good idea - it is not best in any category. It is acceptable and OK, but that's about it.

Regular generic ATF is definitely not a good idea.
Not everyone wants to suffer shifting issues by going thicker.
Canadian climate has a colder average temp year round so ATF isn't a really a bad choice there. It should never get too warm.

For ANY manual transmission or transfer case or differential that requires ATF, a full synthetic ATF is a good 1st upgrade.
And, reasonable 2yr change intervals helps make up for some ATF weaknesses in those gearboxes, especially if you don't go full synthetic.

The combination of the two, synthetic ATF + 2yr/30k interval is as good as it gets.

If the transmission is worked, towed, raced, abused.... then suffering 3 minutes of poor cold shift quality with a thicker fluid shouldn't be an issue. This is when those 8-11cst synchromesh fluids(MTL/MTF)... should seriously be considered instead of ATF. And, I have no issue and usually recommend going thicker in those southern climates from SoCal to FL.

When I had my 2001 Ranger with the M5OD manual, Wal-Mart sold gallon jugs of Pennzoil Mercon/DexIII for around $10. Put a pump top on the jug and you can change the trans fluid faster than you can change the engine oil. It was stupid easy maintenance. I don't know if Merc/Dex is still available in this packaging, but it's the way to go if you can find it.

Sadly, the China Mart near me has stopped carrying ANY brand name Mercon/Dex 3 fluids (save for pricey quarts of Castrol, and maybe some Max Life, the last time I was in there), let alone the very good Pennzoil dino stuff in gallon jugs.
frown.gif

They even used to carry Pennzoil gear oils in BOTH 80W-90 & 85W-140.

NO MORE.

My T45 loves the [censored] out of Redline D4, so I would recommend that.

The Mustang is on its 2nd T45, 1st one saw one run of RP MaxATF and several fills of M1 ATF which is what it ran for most of its life, the trans grenaded in dramatic fashion at about 90K. In the new T45 I've run Valvoline Dex/Merc, Chevron MD-3, and RL D4. It did not like the Valvoline at all, MD-3 was much better but shifting became notchy after about 10K miles, D4 shifted better than any of them new and has shown no signs of degradation. D4 blows them all away, especially in manual trans, IMHO.

Yes it can definitely get below 0F here in the winter, that being said I'm open to using conventional as an ATF is plenty thin already for a manual trans. I would like to keep it to regular off the shelf products, thanks for the experiences guys but I still have a lot of standing and staring to do in the oil aisle at Canadian Tire lol you guys understand.

I used 50/50 MTL and MT-90 in a 2005 ranger. I liked it better than the FF. It wasnt so great in my 2007 focus, the FF was much better its a Full syn but 18/qt is pricy.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
D4 shifted better than any of them new and has shown no signs of degradation.

Ben; How many miles has the D4 been in there with no degradation?? (I'm trying to get an idea of how long I can leave the D4 in my T56 once I change over.)

when my 93 Ranger went in for a new clutch, I had the tranny inspected because it was out. Well I had my option of either quaker state or amsoil atf. I asked for Redline and was told no. then asked for valvoline and was told no. then I said what if I bring it for you? Well there would be no warranty if I did.
So my tranny has quaker state regular atf in. Nothing wrong with it..shifts just fine.
Warranty's up and it's due for a change.. I'm going with the Redline D4 4this time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Ben; How many miles has the D4 been in there with no degradation?? (I'm trying to get an idea of how long I can leave the D4 in my T56 once I change over.)

I've got a little more than 10K on it but it still feels like day 1. Valvoline and MD-3 had significantly increased "notchiness" by 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I've got a little more than 10K on it but it still feels like day 1. Valvoline and MD-3 had significantly increased "notchiness" by 5000 miles.

Thanks.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back