Why do gear oils smell so awful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddies and I always call gear oil "Zackly". Because when it gets on you, it smells zackly like your butt.

Ok, stupid question but is this sulfur smell harmful in any way? I just drained the transfer case on our old SUV, and when I came back indoors my [high pregnant] wife told me I smelled like sh*t and ten minutes later she told she felt sick and now she's in the bathroom vomiting.

Originally Posted by Gew
Ok, stupid question but is this sulfur smell harmful in any way? I just drained the transfer case on our old SUV, and when I came back indoors my [high pregnant] wife told me I smelled like sh*t and ten minutes later she told she felt sick and now she's in the bathroom vomiting.

At those levels it's not harmful, just irritating

I though they stopped using oil from sperm whales a long time ago. I think type F was the one that used to have that in it. What ever it is that is in the limited slip additive that smells so horrible is more likely to be something other than whale oil these days. Do they still use it in oil or transmission fluid these days?

The only thing that beats out the STENCH of limited slip additive, is the lube used for the nose drive bearings of Magnuson type superchargers.

That stuff smells like someone downed 50 pounds of; SHARP Swiss, limburger, and fontina cheeses, and then puked it all up into a bottle!
37.gif

Originally Posted by Craig in Canada
Sulphur and Phosphorus are smelly anti-wear additives, particularly in GL-5 gear oils for hypoid gears.

For sure.

The smell is a combination of sulfurized ester and a Multi-Functional phosphorus-based compound.

Really oxidized GL-5 gear lubes smell like burnt sulfur and dead fish.
grin.gif

Last edited:
LOL. Timely thread. I changed the differential oil in my Tacoma this past Monday and my wife asked why the garage stinks. There still some residual gear oil in my drain pan that is stinking up the joint. I'll just send her a link to this thread. ;-)

Honestly, I kinda like the smell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back