5w20=15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stocking 2 types of oil and doing oil analysis once a month on every truck is far from cost effective, although as you say, it does nickel and dime the company. What John Deere drives 100,000 miles a year? Tractors are typically run at one of several throttle positions, typical on or off. At a constant load and RPM you may be able to prove 2.x percent in fuel economy improvement from oil. In the trucking industry, variations in load weight, weather conditions, and mostly driver habits will wipe out any 2.x percent economy increase. The loads are so high in a HD diesel that oil viscosity makes very little difference in fuel economy.

I certainly understand that oil viscosity does have an impact on fuel usage, however on anything that has a some displacement and HP, it is negligible at best. No matter how well an oil may or may not perform in a 2 stroke Detroit is moot, they are pre-WWII history and are quickly becoming conversation pieces and museum relicts. The performance of a synthetic oil in a 2 stroke is even more irrelevant since almost no one in the trucking industry has money to flush down the drain in such ways for long. Detroit currently only sells two engines that were designed by them, the 50 and 60 Series, and the 60 was jointly developed with Perkins and John Deere. The trucking industry runs mostly Cats and Cummins engines these days, all four strokes. Tire pressure has more of an effect on fuel economy than oil viscosity. With excellent dino oils made up of mostly gpII+ and gpIII base oils, that have good cold weather properties and even better wear additive packages, most companies would opt for the dino oil. The only companies that use synthetic oil widely are ones that operate in cold climates almost exclusively. From my training, research and experience in the heavy duty diesel industries I just cannot see a valid bases for most of your arguments androbot2084. I know very little really, that is why I continue to research and BITOG is one place for good information in most cases, more reading may be in order. This is probably just getting plain ridiculous now....

quote:

Originally posted by androbot2084:
Maintenance shops will not use what the owners manual calls for because they are looking for one universal oil that does the job for all vehicles. With different oils there is the danger of misapplication. True universal oils are available but they come at a high price.

There IS NO one universal oil that works for all vehicles. And there's as much, and probably more, danger of misapplication in using the same oil weight in all engines as there is doing what the shop is SUPPOSED to do and attempting to put the proper oil weight in each vehicle. You are paying them to change the oil. The least they can do is put in the weight the manufacturer recommends. The FACT is that they are too lazy to and they make more money off their customers if they don't take the time to do it right and just put the same weight of cheap, probably bulk, oil in all vehicles. A shop that can't get this simple thing right is totally incompetent and shouldn't be trusted to do ANY work on a vehicle.

There may be no one universal oil for both gas and diesel engines but there is a universal oil for gasoline engines it is called 0w30 and it replaces 0w20 5w20 5w30 and 10w30.

A good universal oil for diesel engines is 5w40 and it replaces 10w30 10w40 15w40 and SAE 30 and SAE 40 motor oils.

round and round we go!
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by androbot2084:
but there is a universal oil for gasoline engines it is called 0w30 and it replaces 0w20 5w20 5w30 and 10w30.

Out of curiosity, where are you getting this from? Do you have a source, or is this simply your opinion?

I have no problem with suggesting 0w-30 as a replacement for 5w-30 an 10w-30, but 5w-20 and 0w-20 is another story. I'm sure any engine will live a long healthy live if it runs 0w-30 when its spec'd for a 20wt, but theres just no point. I wouldn't want, or suggest 0w-30 to someone with a hybrid vehicle which probably specs 0w-20.

Probably is right out of an Amsoil training manual, since amsoil doesn't make a 0w-20, they go and suggest 0w-30 because they don't want to lose that business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back