Mazda3 Battery Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to replace my daughters battery in her '06 M3 before winter. It still has the factory original battery but I have never liked the cranking of this battery(new battery may not change this)but, I want to change it anyway. The original battery is the smaller of the two available and I want to use the larger more CA than the smaller for the same money at W*M

The battery sits inside of a battery box with a cover and an incomming air duct for cooling. I first thought this duct was for the "intake" but it's actually for the battery cooling.

The larger of the two batteries(that I'd like to install) will just fit in this battery box. I'm a bigger is better guy for no real reason but the larger battery does have more CCA/CA compared to the smaller battery(probably moot in this case!)

My real question is:
Because the larger battery will just fit in the box while still being able to cover the battery, will this cause any cooling issues in the warmer temp along with engine heat as the battery sit closer the the FireWall than the front headlight/grill? I don't want to defeat the purpose of getting the larger battery(which I'd prefer) if it's only going to die faster due to lack of cooling. The smaller battery fits inside the box where incomming air can surround the battery but, not so with the larger. Will I be defeating my purpose of getting the larger battery?

Cooler temps are approchaing and there will be no issue in that respect but we'll have just as many summers as winters so I want to do the right thing.

I want to be clear on what I meant by the battery's location. Most battery's sit up close to the front headlights near the grill for incomming air.

This Mazda3 battery actually sits back closer to the firewall inside of a black battery box with a cover away from incomming air so, it has it own air duct to supply air. Although if the battery, being where it is, was uncovered, there would be no issues as it would be getting all of the air it needs anyway. I'm not sure about the reason for the black box. Look nice though!

I would just get some thermal blanket for the hot side of the battery; surely you can stuff the 1/4" thick stuff between batt and box, or even wrap the box. Something foil-ey will reflect the radiant heat. Then leave the intake open and it can breathe.

Is it something like this?

Fourth_Image_Mazda_3_under_hood.jpg

:) DUAH, I guess that I can just leave the cover off in the warmer months Hah? What was I thinking? :/ I like the wrapping idea too because I do really do want the large battery(it's just me).

I would buy the OEM size battery with high CCA. The extra space in the box is so that air can cirulate around the battery. Somethimes we over think things? Ed

I don't own a Mazda 3 - I was just posting the pic for reference. Seems like a pretty crazy battery box setup to me.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it, if the battery that you like fits, put it in.

Also, I don't think the air inlet is for cooling, because if you notice, the box has no outlet, there is some air leakage from the box, but essentially it just creates a pressure zone. I think the air intake is primarily there to get rid of any gasses from the battery, since it's enclosed, if it was meant primarily for cooling, then there would be an air outlet to create air flow.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
My 2006 Saab 93 has a similar setup and the air inlet is definitely for cooling.

Is there an outlet hole in the box? If there is very little air flow, very little cooling will occur.

Just block the backside of the radiator and see how much cooling will be achieved
wink.gif

All of the batteries that I have looked at from all of the autoparts stores that we are all familier with, (AZ, AAP, PB's W*M etc.), have 2 listed batteries sizes all in different CCA/CA(good, better, best) batteries. 24F and 34FN IIRC and the larger of the 2 always has more power output. Although both/all batteries have plenty of power even in the economy battery. But, I want bigger/better!

KrisZ, I don't know if there is an outlet in the battery box but, I'll look for one, Thanks.

You need the cooling duct more in summer vs. winter.

Cold doesn't kill batteries just makes the weak ones die. Heat kills batteries weak or strong if conditions are met.

Get the bigger one, keep the duct, call it a day, have a beer.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I own a 2004 Mazda 3, the 2.0L engine. I actually replaced the stock battery after 3 years because the cranking was getting weak. Based on everything I've read, if you can get 4-5 years out of the stock battery you did very, very well. At least that is the case in this car.

I actually took out the "air intake" to the battery, since it was not holding up anyway so the air going though the plastic was getting completely blocked. Here is a pic...

enginebay.jpg

Also, I bought a Die Hard Gold from a local Sears when I replaced my stock battery. Here is a pic of some of the details...I hope this helps the OP.

diehardgoldmodel.jpg

Originally Posted By: BBuzecky
I own a 2004 Mazda 3, the 2.0L engine. I actually replaced the stock battery after 3 years because the cranking was getting weak. Based on everything I've read, if you can get 4-5 years out of the stock battery you did very, very well. At least that is the case in this car.

I actually took out the "air intake" to the battery, since it was not holding up anyway so the air going though the plastic was getting completely blocked. Here is a pic...

enginebay.jpg

Also, I bought a Die Hard Gold from a local Sears when I replaced my stock battery. Here is a pic of some of the details...I hope this helps the OP.

diehardgoldmodel.jpg

Yeah, I want to say that the W*M batteries are at least that and the larger one is even stronger but I'll have to check again! For the same price for the W*M MAXX, I'll get the larger one.

Originally Posted By: BBuzecky

6.5 years for me so far on the stock Panasonic! Low mileage though. I'm only at about 53k miles right now.

I remove the duct during winter to keep the battery warmer. I drilled a 1/4" hole at the top of the lid to allow any hydrogen to escape. I figure it also improves cooling in summer.

Like I said, based on what I've read the OEM battery doesn't have the best reputation, but results will vary. Glad to hear yours is working out well, although you need to put some miles on that zoom-zoom!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Is there an outlet hole in the box? If there is very little air flow, very little cooling will occur.

The box isn't sealed. There are holes in it to allow for the battery cables to exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back