Buying a Toyota Yaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a reason why Yaris is one of the cheaper sub-compacts, it's really cheap inside and trust me, my in-laws have an Echo, it will become a rattle box, major rattle box.
Other than that the Echo's mechanics are good and the car was fairly trouble free, I expect Yaris would be similar.

Originally Posted By: odie
When I try to tell or point out where the oil leak is they ( mechanic / service manager ) get peed off and ignore it . .... Feel potential buyers need to know of our situation . Hopefully they'll have a better experience with their new or used YARIS .
ODIE - What is "MLS" ? Sounds like oil weeping not leak per se. Ive never considered this a problem - seen it on most all vehicles Ive owned. If the car didnt weep oil I would think it a miracle. You may be obsessing on this "problem".

.... Nice thing about the manual FIESTA is that the brakes are applied automatically when car starts to roll back during engagement , called HILL START ADVANCE . The MAZDA and YARIS don't have this feature . Eventually they may .
If you really know how to drive - you absolutely DONT want this "feature". I almost got killed in my wifes 09 subaru due to the hill holder applying brakes when I was trying to back down an icy hill. I dont want traction control, ABS or hill holder gadgets killing me when they engage at the worng time. These items have BIG downsides. I would guess it'll only be a short wait till you see lawsuits relating to these ' safety" abominations to the automobile.

Hyundai Accents have been around for a while, and are well-sorted out...you won't have problems there.

That said, if I were shopping in this segment today, I'd take a good look at a Mazda 2...just like the look/interior of them better than the Fiesta.

interior for MAZDA 2 looks better than that of the YARIS liftback . When we drove a new FIESTA sedan we could hear rattles coming from the dash . Didn't encounter any during the test drive of the 2 . We always take a test drive on rough city / town streets that would promote rattling .

What is "MLS" ? Sounds like oil weeping not leak per se .

Multi Layered Steel head gasket . It's not seeping , it was quite constant with the '08 . When I discoverd the leaks for both it had run down the backside of the timing chain covers and onto the upper lip of the oil pans . Oil also gathered on other areas of the backside of the engine . Have pictures of both when 1st found it and of few times since . The 2010 has slowed down for now . Tried to show the pics to the service manager and brushed it off .

Last edited:
let us know what you decide on . Take your time , so you won't have buyers remorse . Thanks and happy hunting .

What is "MLS" ? Sounds like oil weeping not leak per se .

Multi Layered Steel head gasket . ... Have pictures of both when 1st found it and of few times since . The 2010 has slowed down for now . Tried to show the pics to the service manager and brushed it off .
Sounds like my trip to the Chevy shop with my 07 silverado 4wd W/T. The Assembly guys (suspectedly) left the clutch master cyl paper part barcode in the reservoir and it clogged up the slave. I photgraphed the mess before I sucked it out with a turkey baster. I just wanted them to bleed the system and they refused. The service manager sad, "I dont know what your trying to show me but it doesnt mean nuthin!" Last time I went there for service. Dumbells ...

Originally Posted By: parimento1
I looked at the Yaris today, although I did not test drive it yet. I noticed that there are other significant differences between the Yaris sedan and hatch than just the body styles. The Yaris sedan has nicer seats and offers 6-way adjustments rather than just 4 on the hatch. Also the five-door hatch is NOT available with a manual tranny. The 5-door hatch is also 19 inches shorter than the sedan. The additional seat adjustments make the biggest difference for me in terms of comfort. Is there an option package on the hatch that provides better seats?

The sedan also comes with 15inch wheels rather than the 14in on the hatchback.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
The fiesta is the best choice in the segment. As said already, it's been produced in Europe for years now, same engines, just different manufacturing plant.

I agree with the Fiesta...A Focus would work well also.

Whatever you get you should try to get something to protect your bumper covers as it will be battered by the second day on the streets of Brooklyn.

I agree 100%. I didn't mention the focus because he mentioned looking at the Yaris, Fit. But the focus is a great little car, I love mine to bits.

The sedan also comes with 15inch wheels rather than the 14in on the hatchback.

The YARIS hatchbacks come with 15" tires for the N.E.. Part of the cold weather package that also gives you better heater and rear window defogger . So , the size of the tires depend on the region . We'd rather have the 14" tires . The sedan and 3 door have 15" tires . Haven't seen any with 14" tires when we check out YARII at dealer lots .

Last edited:
My Yaris has 15" wheels mit das Vinter Paakage. Also Power package and slide and folding split rear seats. This is a good 13K$ new car if you want a mini car. I'll bet ANY other competitor handles better though ...

3 years ago we got a 5 speed manual '08 base model 3 door with the COLD WEATHER PACKAGE for $11,200 . This was a dealer discount of over a $1,000 . No rebate at that time , that's when sales for the YARIS were slow . When gas prices shot up you couldn't find one and there were lesser dealer discounts or rebates or both . Traded the '08 in for newer automatic YARIS for the other 1/2 . She couldn't do that well with the clutch . Sure was fun to drive , clutch engagement could be somewhat tricky . Haven't tried a 2010 YARIS manual to see if any improvement with the engagement .

I bought a new 2008 Yaris 3 door hatchback automatic w/power package in May 2008...the day that gas hit $4.11 a gallon. I was driving a 1996 Chrysler T&C at the time. I didn't really shop around...just stopped at a local Toyota dealer and bought the car. I owned it for 1 year and put 35,000 miles on it. The car was absolutely trouble-free and would get 36-41 mpg routinely. I got rid of it for 2 reasons: 1. Seats (anything over 2 hours was murder...owners are going to argue this with me but they were BAD. I had to add cruise control to the car which wasn't available in 2008 because I found it impossible to keep my foot on the gas pedal for prolonged drives without awful hip and back pain. 2. Vague steering (like REALLY awful vague electric steering. Keeping it on the road required constant small corrections and this only got worse with any crosswinds. It made an otherwise decent car a chore to drive for long distances) Toyota is criticized for this in other models as well...not sure if they've made any improvements on the newer models (other car makers seem to have sorted out the electric steering issues...c'mon Toyota...you need to address this issue). The heater was also marginal when the temps. got into single digits or colder. I now drive a 2008 Impala and just filled it up after a 600 mile round trip...32.4 mpg on the last tank (highway driving but still very good). The Impala already has 61,000 miles and has been flawless except for a faulty wiper motor (fixed under warranty)...absolutely love the car and VERY comfortable on long drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back