Best product to un-clog an Oil Pump Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you suspect your Screen is clogged, what would be one of the best products to un-clog this screen? Seeing as how there is no real way to tell

This is a general question.

If a pump screen is really clogged, I'd drop the oil pan. If I wanted to clean things up in an engine, MMO or Kreen.

What makes you "suspect" your screen is clogged? A clogged screen is serious and can wreck an engine in short order. I wouldn't mess with any additive if it were my car, I'd fix it the right way.

Drop the pan. It is the best way to tell, you'll be looking directly at the pick up screen.

Years ago I had a Honda with oil pressure problems. We pulled the oil pan, and the screen was packed with paper. It was media from a failed Fram filter. No product on the shelf or on the internet would have budged that paper.

Originally Posted By: vtb
Drop the pan. It is the best way to tell, you'll be looking directly at the pick up screen.

Years ago I had a Honda with oil pressure problems. We pulled the oil pan, and the screen was packed with paper. It was media from a failed Fram filter. No product on the shelf or on the internet would have budged that paper.

I've seen this once before too, though I don't remember the brand of oil filter.

Best,

Yeah, if you suspect a clogged pick-up, drop the pan.

You don't want to fool around with solvents that may dislodge other deposits and make things worse....

Drop the pan. I was once clearing out a sludged up engine and the oil screen was so plugged with carbonized stuff that even soaking it in carb cleaner wouldn't remove it all. I ended up replacing the pickup tube and screen.

Another time I was once doing a warranty repair on a new Range Rover that involved dropping the oil pan. Found a work glove inside. Wasn't blocking the oil pickup... yet... but it would have eventually.

Originally Posted By: tig1
If your oil pump screen is clogged your engine is already destroyed.

Very true.
01.gif

And if its even semi clogged, the ONLY thing to do is take the pan off and hands on CLEAN it.

Please do not expect ANYTHING in a can/bottle to fix/clean it up.

Bill

If you had a clogged screen wouldn't you see real low oil pressure and/or idiot lights blaring at you? If I see low pressure or an idiot light for more than a few seconds after start up I immediately turn off the engine.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Three simple steps.

1. Remove the pan
2. Replace the screen
3. Re-install the pan

# 4 DONE !......
grin2.gif

use an aux oil pressure gauge to check pressure, also you might be able to see the screen through the oil plug hole with a flashlight- mirror setup ,or if you have a borescope laying around at your house.
33.gif
seems pretty unlikely to me to have a plugged screen with todays oil and engines unless realy neglected

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If a pump screen is really clogged, I'd drop the oil pan. If I wanted to clean things up in an engine, MMO or Kreen.

What makes you "suspect" your screen is clogged? A clogged screen is serious and can wreck an engine in short order. I wouldn't mess with any additive if it were my car, I'd fix it the right way.

Sound when engine was revved sounded like a whistling, akin to a transmission with low fluid "Howl" that MAY have been coming from the top of the engine. A driver with a trained ear could likely identify how it sounded, not too obvious, but caused me concern.

I too look forward to dropping the pan. I know about the "Scrape with soft metal or plastic" rule.

Now, how do you get it to seal back into place correctly... Silicone? Gasket? How does it not leak after reinstall?

This is the sitting "Beater Probe," I am going to spend two or three full days with that thing, mechanic assisting in between jobs, if i can work out an arrangementr. Sometime next year, or the year after.
thumbsup2.gif

Hey, its something to do. And i learn a lot in the process.
21.gif

Car like the beater i got, less "Sporty" and probably less "Beat on" in its 170,000-mile life...
probgtex.jpg
2.5L DOHC V6, (Small V6!)

Originally Posted By: bradepb
use an aux oil pressure gauge to check pressure, also you might be able to see the screen through the oil plug hole with a flashlight- mirror setup ,or if you have a borescope laying around at your house.
33.gif
seems pretty unlikely to me to have a plugged screen with todays oil and engines unless realy neglected

My car IS really neglected.
thumbsup2.gif
.. Also had many of Yesterday's engine Oils in it, plus .. was used, abused, heck, probably blown up once from the people that had it previous. It runs "OK."

There are still those that say all it needs is a tune-up and the rest is "Previous Owner Syndrome." THis is why im thinking about a parked car, thats ~1000 miles away from me, that i will return to next year, or the year after..
21.gif

Originally Posted By: vtb

What kind of "Oil Pressure Problems?" Too High? Didnt run right?

What was the problem there? (Im also curious.. year and model of Honda? Miles?) Ive never heard of that, good to kno wit CAN happen.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Three simple steps.

1. Remove the pan
2. Replace the screen
3. Re-install the pan

# 4 DONE !......
grin2.gif

01.gif

I wouldn't go tearing it apart without confirmation about what is exactly wrong.
[Unless you have spare time/money and just want to start somewhere.]
If damage occurred, all sorts of other parts must be cleaned and replaced - basically a rebuild.

Yeah the car DOES run OK and it basically runs fine except for that water pump.

I honestly think replacing the Water pump, replacement of everything visually old, and using Redline 15W-50 AFTER KREEN application will solve it all.

If the screen was clogged, i dont think id have perfect Oil pressure when Hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back