Valvoline Blue Line 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reports I've seen put this oil at the top with Delo. It's also the official Cummins oil.

Originally Posted By: snakyjake
It's also the official Cummins oil.

To be thorough, it's the official oil recommended by Cummins, much the same way that Hyundai recommends Quaker State. The brand they recommend also has no bearing on the specifications the oil has to meet to keep the warranty intact.

After all the reports I've read, I don't think there's any difference in the new API oils.

There isn't any evidence of one being superior. And there's no monetary incentive for an oil company to produce an oil above the API test. Although Amsoil might be the exception. They seem to be more concerned about oil performance rather than API rating.

But every test in inconclusive or subjective.

The easiest answer: use the highest API rating, and change the oil more often than recommended.

Quote:
no evidence of one being superior. And there's no monetary incentive

And that may be one of the reasons Shell has pulled all their PDF's that had listed ingredients and percentages .
And since Shell is also Pennzoil / Quaker State / they followed suit .Look to others to follow this trend. You will have to use European oils to get the facts as they have higher standards and will not tolerate such junk

Ok thanks guys. I just wasn't sure if I should be putting this oil or Mobil One TDT in my 06 TDI. As some of you may know, they do have the cam wear issues with this specific year.

Originally Posted By: Striker
Ok thanks guys. I just wasn't sure if I should be putting this oil or Mobil One TDT in my 06 TDI. As some of you may know, they do have the cam wear issues with this specific year.

It's not that specific year, it's from the Pumpe Duese engine design - all TDIs from 2004 - 2006 have that engine design (BEW in 2004 - 2006 Golf & NB; 2004 - 2005 Jetta / BRM in 2005.5 - 2006 Jetta / BHW in 2004 - 2005 Passat). Use any 5w40 CJ-4 synthetic oil and your cam will be much happier: Mobil 1 TDT, Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme, Shell Rotella T6, Schaeffer 9000, Amsoil DEO, etc...

Sorry that's what I mean, minus the specific year part. Scurvy how many miles have you gone without replacing the stock cam? Also does your car have the dsg tranny?

Scurvy how many miles have you gone without replacing the stock cam? Also does your car have the dsg tranny?

I've got 147k km on my Golf and still on the stock cam. Inspected it about 77k km and it looked fine, car drives fine so I haven't bothered since. I may inspect it before the timing belt as that would be a very opportune time to replace it should it need to happen.

FWIW, Franko6 on TDIClub has OEM, new & reground cams from Colt what fix the base circle problem with the BRM cam.

So Franks cam kits fix that issue for good, right? Have you ever had any issues with the dmf in the car if you have the dsg trans?

So Franks cam kits fix that issue for good, right? Have you ever had any issues with the dmf in the car if you have the dsg trans?

I believe that is a correct statement. AFAIK, there was a bad batch of cams, but they were OE installed, not replacement parts. So if Frank rebuilds a PD cylinder head, there should be the normal wear afterward and not any special accelerated wear of any parts like the cam lobes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back