Motor Oil Buyers, Beware Story in Lube Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story Link

I never heard of these brands but maybe some reading this have used them.

Excerpt for story

Quote:
U.S. motor oil watchdog Petroleum Quality Institute of America has posted the sad results of its latest tests: four of six private-label oils failed to meet their labeled specs.

PQIA purchased randomly selected samples of six private-label brands of engine oil in South Atlantic states in June, and sent samples to an independent laboratory for testing. PQIA President Tom Glenn acknowledged that he was surprised by the poor results.

Some interesting excepts from this story (most of which I've read directly on PQIA's website):

'... O’Reilly 5W-30 ... oil sample exceeded the volatility limit'

'Two oils that tested on-spec were Sam’s Club’s Certified Performance Engineered 10W-30, manufactured by Warren Oil, and Pilot Premium 5W-30, manufactured by Pinnacle Oil.'

We should all know better than to buy that el cheapo oil. We sit here and fight over Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil and the like....

And who in their right mind would be using a "SA" rated oil? Isn't that like, um, 1950's vintage lubrication?

I'm not surprised by that report.

Warren oil that passed:

10W30-SM from Warren Oil Co, Inc. following locations on bottle: Dunn NC, Benton AL, San Antonio TX, Marion IL, Johnstown PA, West Memphis AR

They didn't test the other Warren

Originally Posted By: Ken2
I think there is an error in the story.

Warren Oil does not make the Wal*Mart and Sam's Club products. That is made by the separate, but similarly named Warren Performance Products and Warren Distribution. Note the WPP on the bottom of the Wal*Mart house brand oil bottles.

Their Supertech oil is also tested and listed on one of the PQI test threads on their site. It looked pretty good to me, up there with several of the big brand names in terms of tbn, viscosity, noack, and additive package. Its also priced well here, while their syn is isn't (4 times as much, and I've gotten both Syntec and PP at the same WM for less).

Originally Posted By: kballowe
We should all know better than to buy that el cheapo oil. We sit here and fight over Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil and the like....

And who in their right mind would be using a "SA" rated oil? Isn't that like, um, 1950's vintage lubrication?

I'm not surprised by that report.

i have to agree. the story should not surprise anyone. [censored], in the API audits in 2001 a LOT of oils were out of spec. a LOT!

we all obviously have computers. we can all look up sales and rebates. none of us have to use these [censored] oils. there are at least two or three rebates right now that put synthetic under $2 a qt. there is no good reason to use this stuff.

my Truckster requires oil with the GM6049M specification, but i only feed her oil with the 4718M specification. if you shop sales/rebates you cannot use price as an excuse.

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Originally Posted By: Ken2
I think there is an error in the story.

Warren Oil does not make the Wal*Mart and Sam's Club products. That is made by the separate, but similarly named Warren Performance Products and Warren Distribution. Note the WPP on the bottom of the Wal*Mart house brand oil bottles.

Their Supertech oil is also tested and listed on one of the PQI test threads on their site. It looked pretty good to me, up there with several of the big brand names in terms of tbn, viscosity, noack, and additive package. Its also priced well here, while their syn is isn't (4 times as much, and I've gotten both Syntec and PP at the same WM for less).

The Supertech that PQI tested was the XOM flavor, almost identical to Exxon Superflo. The Warren oil looks a little different with less Moly and Calcium. Either will probably be fine, but you may be getting something different than what was tested depending on where you live and who the supplier is.

Sheetz is a pretty big gas station chain in the northeast, mostly in PA. I bet they sell a ton of out of spec oil.

Its nice to see that the Sams Club Certified oil is OK to use still, that is the cheapest stuff you can buy (at least around here)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back