VW EOS 2.0T oil consumtion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has a 2007 VW EOS with the 2.0T and is about 7k miles into the oil change interval. While driving the low oil pressure light came on so he added 3 quarts of oil (which didn't completely fill it).

If I recall correctly the car has under 50k miles.

Is there a clogged PCV valve that could be causing it? The current oil is Mobil 0W-40.

....perhaps your friend should check his oil more often?

Running a turbo engine THAT low on oil is not going to do it any favours - hope he has money for a replacement!

I would not run over a 5k oil change interval in a 2.0 FSI. The UOA database shows oils are worn out by 5k in that engine (unless all highway miles).

The engine consumes oil and some consume quite a lot of oil. At 50k the intake valves are likely pretty plugged up. Eos in particular seems to have the deposits worst than most (and numerous examples of ring deposits also). FOr example this eos needed a ring job at only 23k miles:

valve2pn3.gif

Here are the things I would do:

1) Do not run VW's recommended 10k oil change interval and use a shear stable ester based oil. This owner ran M1 0w40 at 10k intervals.

glivalves.jpg

2) Have the intake valves inspected (via boroscape) and cleaned if clogged (which they probably will be by this mileage).

3) Immediately (and I mean immediately) inspect the fuel pump cam follower. This is easy to do and takes about 15 minutes. With the car being run low on oil and with the mileage this part could be about to fail. If it fails, he'll need a new cam, fuel pump, and follower. It is easy to check and cheap to replace if needed. Search vw vortex for DIY procedure.

Also regarding the PCV you would likely see oil around the top of the engine or decreased gas mileage or both if the PCV failed.

That engine was running on less than 30% of the regular oil capacity so I would check out that follower asap.

What was VW thinking?
Is there any high-spec Euro oil which could have prevented this?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What was VW thinking?
Is there any high-spec Euro oil which could have prevented this?

Some boutique oils such as RLI have shown slightly better results than VW 502.00-spec oil, but even they can't really prevent this.

The problem is with different ECU tuning for these engines in North America. To meet the local emissions standard, these engines are tuned to run rich. In Europe, they run lean and supposedly don't suffer such problems, but I'm not really 100% sure on this.

Originally Posted By: orlzx6r
A friend of mine has a 2007 VW EOS with the 2.0T and is about 7k miles into the oil change interval. While driving the low oil pressure light came on so he added 3 quarts of oil (which didn't completely fill it).

If I recall correctly the car has under 50k miles.

Your friend needs to take better care of is EOS, for instance checking the oil level instead of waiting for the light to come on.

There is probably a leak somewhere, something very minor -- but he could be looking for a new engine if he doesn't take care of this one.

I would look for a 20w-50 SYNTH, like SynPower. Once it's run so low, the oil is damaged and should be changed. You can leave the filter in place and drain the oil. Replace it w/15w-40 HD. That is the 2nd best choice to 20w-50 SYNTH and it's cheap.

If he wants to stay with the oem visc of 5w-40, Shell Rotella T Synth will burn less than other 5w-40. In your climate, 15w-40 at 3k-5k intervals is better than oem 5w-40 at 10k.

I use some 2-cycle oil in my gas at 500:1, even though it's new and doesn't consume oil. It def helps with consumption issues and is generally a great fuel additive. However, if your friend doesn't even check his oil, good luck getting him to add to the gas.

All the above poster's advice is good, do that and skip the 10k intervals.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
15w-40 at 3k-5k intervals is better than oem 5w-40 at 10k.

No no no, not in any VAG turbocharged engine. Synthetic oil only, not even the best conventional oil is good enough.

Right, "only the best" oil that burns off in a few 1000 miles.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if the oem oil work well.

Note the climate of the poster as well.

15w-40 is made for turbo applications and warm weather.

You assume that the oil in that EOS "burned off". I assumed that it leaked out.

The loss of three quarts or liters of oil in 7000 miles suggest that my assumption is more logical. And switching to a 15w40 will not plug the leak -- the OP's friend needs to get the leak fixed, not just try to pour in oil faster than it leaks out.

Actually, I think conventional 15w40 is the wrong oil for any turbocharged VW or Audi.

But my advice to check for leaks has nothing to do with what oil has been used or should be used in the future.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
If that engine had "burned off" 3 quarts of oil, there would have been huge clouds of smoke -- so much that the OP's clueless friend would have had to notice.

So yes, a leak.

Not necessarily. A friend of mine had a Saturn SC-1 that would burn 1L/week. But it would pass an E-test with flying colours and there was no evidence of it burning out the tailpipe.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
[Not necessarily. A friend of mine had a Saturn SC-1 that would burn 1L/week. But it would pass an E-test with flying colours and there was no evidence of it burning out the tailpipe.

There's a big difference between an old Saturn engine and a relatively new 2.0T. If the 2.0T had been burning oil, the OP's friend would have seen the smoke.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
[Not necessarily. A friend of mine had a Saturn SC-1 that would burn 1L/week. But it would pass an E-test with flying colours and there was no evidence of it burning out the tailpipe.

There's a big difference between an old Saturn engine and a relatively new 2.0T. If the 2.0T had been burning oil, the OP's friend would have seen the smoke.

How? They both are putting it out the tail pipe. And the Saturn was consuming FAR more. I have been surprised by how much oil an engine can burn without showing it; especially when it is going by the rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back