Scariest Movie Ever???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burnt Offerings.

I remember watching this 1976 horror gem several times as an impressionable youth in the late 70s. Stumbled across it again recently (but wish I hadn't!). Anybody else with a few miles on their personal odometers remember this one? I had more than one nightmare about the chauffeur (see the linked YT clip, from about the one minute mark) for years. Today, naturally, if I met the chauffeur, I'd aggressively confront him about why he had not been keeping up with his oil changes! Not. Shoot, the sound of that engine still scares me all these years later. What a movie.

Burnt Offerings -- click here -- if you dare. . .

MM, ok, the one that "Got Me" when I was an impressionable youth (back in 1972) was a made for TV movie called "The Gargoyles" Father and Daughter I believe go to the American South West to do some research, and run into "Guess What?" :) Another one a bit later (early 80's) which I thought was decently done, despite its lack of modern special effects was the orginal "The Fog"..MM, perhaps it was also partly do to the fact that I felt Adrian Barbeu made an Excellent Light House Radio DJ....
20.gif

I don't ...hmm..I'm not sure if scary quite did it for me. It was an Italian horror done by the infamous Agento. Susperia. I saw it in 1978 on cable. It had some American actress in it, but was lip sinc'd in English.

I would say that the Saw series was mild in comparison for the unique ways people got killed. I'd have called it more disturbing than it was scary.

The woman who cuts my hair is an independent film maker (ultra low budget). Horror is apparently the most affordable genre to work with. Agento is some type of legendary iconic figure to them.

There's different types of scary. There's horror, suspense, thriller, etc.

I think modern audiences just want gore. Previously audiences wanted suspense and the anticipation of what was going on.

Originally Posted By: dparm
There's different types of scary. There's horror, suspense, thriller, etc.

I think modern audiences just want gore. Previously audiences wanted suspense and the anticipation of what was going on.

X2!!

When I remember the first time I saw the exorcist when I was younger. That's the only movie that really got me.

Now I watch horror almost like a comedy, I'm so desensitized and used to them that I'll flip one on whenever I just want to pass some time and relax

A couple that freaked me out when I was a kid........Let`s Scare Jessica To Death and Squirm. Don`t know if they`d be as good today,but I`d like to see them again.

+ 1 for Dario Argento's SUSPERIA; this film came out when gross-out movies were popular in the 70's (where the theater provided "airline sickness bags to the weak of stomach!) Though the film was not part of the "gross out" genre per se as is MARK of the Devil . For something a bit later, the first of the HELLRAISER series was pretty disturbing and generally well done and suspensefull. As young child, HOUSE on HAUNTED HILL made me afraid of ghosts and walking skeletons for a while
wink.gif
Later, as a young teen, THE OTHER bothered me for years ...

Last edited:
When I was young, the movie that scared me the most was The Omen. That kid just freaked me out. Also, the changling with George.C.Scott. That one gave me nightmares as a child.
shocked2.gif

I love both of those movies: already started their collection--
The Last Exorcism is supposed to be coming out soon, and it looks interesting, there's alot of truth to that paranormal stuff; I even had a chance to speak to a couple of pastors about that kind of thing and they have had experience with it..
pretty interesting,

speaking about films and movies, does anyone know of websites
that help with either free online movie-watching, or maybe even free movie downloads, within the regulatory norms;
I'm trying to look into movies that honor themes concerning
spirituality, maybe prophecy, a little apocalypse too.. these can also be considered scary movies..
In any case, how to download movies either inexpensively or
maybe even free online..

No one has mentioned "The Alien".
I thought that the movie did a great job of developing suspense, from the first, as one plan after another to defeat the alien or escape it falls apart.
The scene where the crew eats prior to resuming their induced slumber for the remaining trip to our system is classic.
"In space no one can hear you scream".

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
No one has mentioned "The Alien".
I thought that the movie did a great job of developing suspense, from the first, as one plan after another to defeat the alien or escape it falls apart.
The scene where the crew eats prior to resuming their induced slumber for the remaining trip to our system is classic.
"In space no one can hear you scream".
The Alien series movies are my all time favourite! HR Giger dreamed up the Alien creature and it was one of the most scary movies of its time. Alien 2 is best version, but thats just my opinion.

Yeah, Alien was a horror movie in space. Aliens was an action movie with a horror prequel.

With Alien you had the suspense ..the tension ..the "you went the wrong way and the bad thing just happened to be there". Aliens you saw stuff blow up.

I did enjoy Aliens with the updated props and effects.

Ok when I was a kid there was a couple that got to me. One was called the babysitter that had this guy prank calling this babysitter and they could never trace the call until towards the end and he was in the house all along. The other which is still one of my favorite horror movies was the original Texas
Chain Saw Massacre! I thought that movie was great. I still like watching it.

One thing I noted, you could tell that some directors/cinematographers were working class. You would be watching two people part at any location, and then see the one get hurt/taken/killed and the other being totally oblivious to the OBVIOUS loud noise.

Only someone who worked in an industrial environment would know of the places where out of sight meant 'on your own'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back