What is the best conventional diesel oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you would be hard pressed to find any real difference... But generally IMO delo and rotella are viewed (not necessarily absolutely correct one way or another) slightly better than delvac 1300.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I think you would be hard pressed to find any real difference... But generally IMO delo and rotella are viewed (not necessarily absolutely correct one way or another) slightly better than delvac 1300.

As in what,where????

any of the "big three" are solid choices,cant go worng...

perception. Note I said not necessarily correct... It is just that in most circles I am involved in (which includes a chevron texaco oil distributorship who actually deals with all three and international customers), delo and rotella are more highly regarded/asked for.

Much of it is geographic. Many parts of the Caribbean, Ursa is the HDEO of choice, though even per chevrontexaco themselves, delo is superior.

So so much of it is perception and loyalty and hearsay. And my read on it is that at this point in time, delo and rotella are more loved and considered better.

There was a point in time on this site even when rotella was considered "very ordinary"... now there is a lot of interest in it.

Lots of semi-truths and perceptions...

Id go with whatever is cheaper. Usually delvac 1300 goes on sale for ~~8$ or less/gallon and I stock up

If either of the other 2 was that cheap I would also buy it.

All 3 are good oils. Not necessarily what I would want in a Toyota prius, but for a beater or older engine(or one that calls for a diesel oil) great 3 season oil here in ohio.

Not too impressed with it at 0F(duh?!) but I just break out some cheap 5w30 for the winter oil change.

Last edited:
Define the BEST!!!! probly there isn't a whole lot of difference between the top 3 oils Rotella, Mobil Delvac 1300, Delo 400. There are some like Schaeffers that are a more "heavy duty" for example.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Steve S - You said this as a statement:
"Tell me why Delvac is a lesser of the 3 oils."

Please do....................
quote=JHZR2]I think you would be hard pressed to find any real difference... But generally IMO delo and rotella are viewed (not necessarily absolutely correct one way or another) slightly better than delvac 1300. [/quote] I posted a link to a uoa with the 3 major oils, what is the difference ? I would without reservation use any of the major oils . " Which ever is cheaper at the time and not feel one is any better".

Hi,
Steve S - Used as directed there is little if any difference (and you can include the comparable Castrol products in that comment too)and Fleets worldwide using NA engines will happily tell you that - if they have tried them over extended periods (years and millions of miles)

At the extremes of OCIs and using a UOA sampling/trending programme I have found the Delvac range to handle soot better and to retain internal cleanliness longer

Remember however that we are talking about HDEOs - intended for Commercial use in selected and sometimes very specific engine families

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about Delvac 1300 is the labeling on the bottle. It looks too commercialized to me with the big truck picture and all.

Delo has the best bottle imo, looks heavy duty and no silly truck pictures.

Maybe I will switch after I use up my 10 gallons of Delvac.

I have a 2002 Ford F350 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel. I have tried several 15w40 diesel oils in my truck all with good results. I have been using Delo 15w40 for the past few years with good results. Honestly, if you stick with good diesel oils ( Rotella, Delo, Delvac, Valvoline Blue, Motorcraft and Castrol) you will be fine. Also, a good oil filter and proper change intervals are just as important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back