What Automotive Battery does everyone like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: brianl703
How long ago did this happen? Interstate batteries are all mostly maintenance-free chemistry (which reduces water loss) these days, but that wasn't always the case.

Was that for me?

If so: my first Interstate purchase was in 2003. I have to check my records as to when I noticed the big leak. It would have been 2004 or 2005. That's still the battery I have in the car. I can't check my records now, I'll post back when I get a chance.

How long ago did this happen? Interstate batteries are all mostly maintenance-free chemistry (which reduces water loss) these days, but that wasn't always the case.

Had to be at least 6-7 years and prior. I had a few green tops and a black top megatron, IIRC.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

If so: my first Interstate purchase was in 2003. I have to check my records as to when I noticed the big leak. It would have been 2004 or 2005. That's still the battery I have in the car. I can't check my records now, I'll post back when I get a chance.

I remember some issues with Johnson Controls batteries leaking at the terminal posts around that time. All of the ones I've gotten after that have been fine.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

Had to be at least 6-7 years and prior. I had a few green tops and a black top megatron, IIRC.

Were they being used in GM vehicles? GM vehicles use higher charging voltage which increases the water loss of standard or low-maintenance batteries. I think almost all current Interstate batteries are lead-calcium maintenance free (even though you can add water--the term maintenance free refers to the chemistry, not the lack of ability to add water).

I've seen some of those batteries where the vent cap strips weren't pushed all the way down.

You might want to cover the vent cap strips with foil tape.

A solid idea. I do remove the caps to check water level and specific gravity and always sure they're pushed down all the way. Even a new battery I haven't touched seems to do this - of course they probably had the fill it at the retail location I bought it so it isn't exactly a "factory" seal.

I'm planning to pull the battery soon for testing and cleaning. Maybe I will do the foil strip thing. Of course I don't like applying more conductors to an unfused, high current area like the battery. Maybe foil tape for the seal then covered by a non-conductive tape :)

Do some looking at a GM dealer. Some of their vehicles came with a frabric material wrapped around the batteries, top included. First one that comes to mind is a late nineties s15 GMC..

Bought a brand new Motorcraft BXT-40R battery to replace the OEM one, which was corroding the negative post clamp so I assumed it was leaking fumes from that terminal. When I picked it up from the parts counter I could hear and feel the electrolyte solution sloshing around more than I'd expect. I had the parts guy check two other batteries and they all did the same. These are suppost to be considered "maintenance free" although they have removable caps. Is it typically expected for fresh batteries to require adding water?

Last edited:
I have noticed that sometimes new batteries do not have all of the cells filled to the same level. Maybe a 1/4" difference from cell to cell, if that. I add distilled water to get them all to the same level.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

Were they being used in GM vehicles? GM vehicles use higher charging voltage which increases the water loss of standard or low-maintenance batteries. I think almost all current Interstate batteries are lead-calcium maintenance free (even though you can add water--the term maintenance free refers to the chemistry, not the lack of ability to add water).

One was in a monte carlo, another in a mazda pickup, and another in a honda accord.

2 were green tops and the other a black top:

batintertwo.png

ibs_MTP-24F.jpg

OK, I don't have my records with me but the battery has "punch outs" where the purchase date is supposed to go. It says Dec 2005 for my latest MTP-93 and my first was in the summer of 2003.

My MTP-93 doesn't look like any of the pictures shown. It's all black and the cell caps are in two groups of three which snap in lush with a recessed portion across the top of the battery. Remember that the MTP series is part of some "international" battery group at Interstate - they may be different from the rest of the lineup.

My posts are not corroded and the battery fits properly, there is no abnormal torque or pulling on the posts when it's installed. BMWs have an attachment affair where there is something like "tabs" molded into the bottom of the battery. You slide the battery under a stationary clip/clamp type of thing at the fore end, and then there is a threaded rod with a metal clamp you then thread into a hole just aft of the battery and it clamps down the rear. If you wrap the battery in anything - it doesn't fit. I even had an issue putting battery mat on the metal tray because it raised the battery 1/16" and it didn't slide all the way under the fore clamp, and then I couldn't thread in the aft clamp.

Here's a pic of the aft clamp affair:
4335940222_medium.jpg

This is an Interstate MTP-93 like mine. The cell covers are under the "handle":
ibs_MTP-93.jpg

And here is what they look like installed (not my car, this guy is missing the red positive cap:
31340930039_large.jpg

This is a standard BMW E39 battery:
84733d1245873685-genuine-bmw-e39-m5-battery-110-ah-850-cca-102_5376.jpg

My MTP-93 doesn't look like any of the pictures shown. It's all black and the cell caps are in two groups of three which snap in lush with a recessed portion across the top of the battery.

That's because your battery has provisions for remote venting. The pictures above are of batteries that do not, so they use a different cell cap.

When you push on the battery terminals, can you see them moving in relation to the battery case? If so, the seal is bad.

My MTP-93 doesn't look like any of the pictures shown. It's all black and the cell caps are in two groups of three which snap in lush with a recessed portion across the top of the battery.

That's because your battery has provisions for remote venting. The pictures above are of batteries that do not, so they use a different cell cap.

When you push on the battery terminals, can you see them moving in relation to the battery case? If so, the seal is bad.

I'll check, but I've never noticed this. I don't have any terminal or post corrosion and crystal growth. These areas stay clean and bright without grease, vaseline or special cleaners. Any droplets I see seem to be along the whole length of the battery.

[/quote]I just bought an Everstart from Wal-Mart (the cheapest one, not the "Maxx") with a manufacture date of August 2010, and it's stamped "Johnson Controls Inc." on the label. [/quote]

I just bought a new Everstart Maxx battery at Walmart with an August 2010 date on it and its made by Excide so it looks like both companies are still supplying Walmart with batteries.

Now that I've discovered that Excide is no good, I'm not too happy about my purchase.

Wayne

The MTP-93 looks the similar as group/size 49 in my E430, and similar CCA too at 850 Amps.

Originally Posted By: wtd

I just bought a new Everstart Maxx battery at Walmart with an August 2010 date on it and its made by Excide so it looks like both companies are still supplying Walmart with batteries.

Now that I've discovered that Excide is no good, I'm not too happy about my purchase.

Wayne

The battery that this newest one replaced was a three year old Everstart Maxx that had a cell short out (made by Exide, I assume). That was the first battery I've purchased that didn't make it to a least four years. I stepped down to the cheaper battery this time for the sole reason that I knew it was not made by Exide.

Last edited:
The battery that this newest one replaced was a three year old Everstart Maxx that had a cell short out (made by Exide, I assume). That was the first battery I've purchased that didn't make it to a least four years. I stepped down to the cheaper battery this time for the sole reason that I knew it was not made by Exide. [/quote]

I guess I will just have to see how long it lasts since I doubt Walmart would let me return it now. I did notice it does not say anything about how many month battery it is so I guess like someone above mentioned, after three years, you are screwed.

Wayne

It doesn't appear that Enersys makes car batteries, other than the Odyssey AGM batteries.

Who do you think manufactures Die Hard Platinum batteries for Sears?

this question comes up every month. buy duralast. I had a regular duralast last 7 years in my 96 sunfire. longest I ever had a battery last and it's 100+ degrees here in the summer. avoid walmart batteries, they are junk. I had one last only one year before it died. I always buy the freshest battery on the rack and check the date stamps. Probably some dolt at the walmart tire and lube express dropped the battery on the ground or something before putting on the shelf for me to buy. haha

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
this question comes up every month. buy duralast. I had a regular duralast last 7 years in my 96 sunfire. longest I ever had a battery last and it's 100+ degrees here in the summer. avoid walmart batteries, they are junk. I had one last only one year before it died. I always buy the freshest battery on the rack and check the date stamps. Probably some dolt at the walmart tire and lube express dropped the battery on the ground or something before putting on the shelf for me to buy. haha

Duralast seems to a winner, based on many of the posts. I know they are one of the favorites in the BMW community. I put one in my 95 525i and it seems to work very well. Only had it 3 years or so and it lives under the back seat so it is "pampered" compared to those that are under the hood with heat and all.

Originally Posted By: timish

Who do you think manufactures Die Hard Platinum batteries for Sears?

Those are AGM batteries. A rebadge of the Odyssey with Sears' name on it.

After all of the recent battery discussion, I pulled my 2005 Interstate MTP-93 for inspection.

There was dried electrolyte around the caps, again, just like there always is. I took some pictures which I'll post later. The levels are good and, if anything, they're high. I suppose there's a possibility that my dealer overfilled them. I don't think I've ever added distilled water to this battery because it has never needed it.

I came home late last night after a 3hr drive and did this work this morning after a "rest" period. I tested the specific gravity and it was excellent - 100%. I have a four floating balls type of tester and all four floated. When my BMW factory battery was 5 years old it was somewhere between 50-70% according to this same tester.

I have pointed out in other threads that I have a maintenance charger with desulfation function. I had a toy car connected to it 24/7 but now that I don't have that car any longer I connect this car to it when convenient. At least once a week over night. This makes sure that the battery is fully charged (in itself preventing sulfation) and then kicks over to the desulfation function (supposedly reversing some levels of existing mild sulfation). Based on my specific gravity readings I'd say it is working.

I wiped everything down and then put a long piece of foil tape pressed down over the caps. I followed that up with a slightly longer length of clear duct tape as an insulator just in case. To answer others' questions - there was no play in the posts and no deposits in those areas.

Considering this is a vented battery, the discharge from the caps bothers me. The way the battery top is made there are drain channels from the caps down the sides of the battery too. Thanks guys - lets make sure that when you leak a little you dump it right into the spare tire well of my car to rot it out instead of hanging on to a little bit of it so that it can be seen and cleaned up.
31.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back